• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mixed 30-06 surplus ammo for M1

kiver

NES Member
My wife picked up some surplus ammo at CMP when she was at camp perry. The head stamps are mixed and was hoping some one will ring in if I should avoid running it through my M1

I am sure this has been hit on before but my kids viruses up my pc and I am currently only using my phone

Hxp 70
Hxp 62
Hxp 73
Hxp 66
Hxp 63
Hxp 65
V C 4 5
5 3 T W
5 2 T W

Last edited:
The VC 45 is most likely corrosive. Don't use it in your Garand.

The 52 & 53 TW could be as well, its on the cusp I believe. They were SUPPOSED to have switched over to non-corrosive primers at TW in 1950 but their AP loaded 30-06 was still using corrosive till 1952 so I would assume this is corrosive to be safe.

HXP is all great stuff, blast away. The 73 is very accurate.

Last edited:
Save the brass too, its great stuff for reloading. If you don't reload, give/trade/sell it to someone who does.

Yup vc looks bad
8ffe01117a4362344036d58b5b624f6f.jpg

You can generally find a few old timers to buy the corrosive stuff. Some guys like the accuracy of some years and lots. There's 2 old guys at my club that say the Korean M2 is the best.

yeah actually you don't see the VC too often so you may be able to sell that to a collector

just got 3 cases in from cmp last week, first can i opened up i also found some strange headstamps like you have, a couple vc… haven't really looked all that well and the other boxes are still not even opened yet. must just be their current batch of surplus they're putting into 200rnd loose cases.

just got 3 cases in from cmp last week, first can i opened up i also found some strange headstamps like you have, a couple vc… haven't really looked all that well and the other boxes are still not even opened yet. must just be their current batch of surplus they're putting into 200rnd loose cases.

Well that's not good if they're tossing in corossive ammo and just went up on the HXP price not too long ago.

Well the VC stuff was supposed to begin using non-corrosive primers in April 1945. The problem is, you don't know which lot your VC45 is from and if all the corrosive primers were used up by the time yours was made.

Here's the chart that shows lot # and start date of non-corrosive primers for various calibers and types of ammo...

NonCorrosiveChart.jpg

Well that's not good if they're tossing in corossive ammo and just went up on the HXP price not too long ago.

I've often found other stuff in my HXP 200 round cans from them going back a couple of years when I first started buying it. Sometimes a few are corrosive, that's why its always good to go thru the whole thing to see what you have before you start using it. Others have found AP & Tracer rounds in their cans and that could cause big problems for you at your range if you don't realize it before you shoot it!

The 200 round loose stuff is all the loose ammo cmp had stock piled since 1996
What ever has come through the door from the army. Rounds found in butt stock storage compartment , odd lots of ammo belts with a clip or few rounds still in them ectect.
CMP is a non profit business and will sell what ever they have at a price as long as it keeps selling.
Not long ago HXP on clips was only 35 cents per round shipped....by long i mean about 5-6 years ago.
I bought my 10 case limit every year until it was 57 cents or so per round.
Loose stuff is fine you can reload or sell the brass.

The 200 round loose stuff is all the loose ammo cmp had stock piled since 1996
What ever has come through the door from the army. Rounds found in butt stock storage compartment , odd lots of ammo belts with a clip or few rounds still in them ectect.
CMP is a non profit business and will sell what ever they have at a price as long as it keeps selling.
Not long ago HXP on clips was only 35 cents per round shipped....by long i mean about 5-6 years ago.
I bought my 10 case limit every year until it was 57 cents or so per round.
Loose stuff is fine you can reload or sell the brass.

Yeah now you're better off buying new PPU ammo with the ammo can.

Yeah now you're better off buying new PPU ammo with the ammo can.

Yes the PPU stuff is very consistent. I'm sure if demanding stays up they will offer a garand safe option with match bullets. The PPU M2 is more accurate than most garands and can hold 10 ring all day if you can.

Back
Top Bottom