Mitchell's Mauser. I put a depost on one, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake

OK! What do you call un-molested? A WWII battle field pickup, now that is un-molested. The the moment
comrad bubba stalin got a hold of the K98 and destored its original markings and finish it lost its collectors
value as an original rifle.Now all these bubba rifle got thrown in to storage waiting for a war that never happened.Mitchells takes a K98 and restores it and they are called a turd. When something is restored
they are not original but restored to original configiration.This might mean adding markings .

OK! What do you call un-molested? A WWII battle field pickup, now that is un-molested. The the moment
comrad bubba stalin got a hold of the K98 and destored its original markings and finish it lost its collectors
value as an original rifle.Now all these bubba rifle got thrown in to storage waiting for a war that never happened.Mitchells takes a K98 and restores it and they are called a turd. When something is restored
they are not original but restored to original configiration.This might mean adding markings .

Once the rifle was captured by the Russians (or anyone), it is no longer going to be original. They are going to do something to them, even if it's just to proof them. Once Mitchell (or anyone) buys them, they are going to be cleaned, head spaced, refinished, or whatever. They are not going to be, nor can they be, restored to "as built" configuration. Forced matching is forced matching, it's not original.

I have several Enfields, but only one is completely "unmolested". The others have been rearsenalled at various times, and one I ended up replacing the furniture on. One was sporterized by Golden State Arms, so has no collector value, but it's a find shooter and I plan to use it to hunt with. Despite all of that, they all have matching numbers.

The Savage Enfield that I have is unrestored, has worn bluing, beat up wood, and is going to stay that way. If it could only talk, it would have a fascinating story to tell.

It was a MM ad in an NRA magazine that started me down the road to collecting to the extent I do. That lead me to do some research and I drew the conclusion that a MM restored rifle was more money than it was worth unless you just wanted something to put on a wall (where legal) and impress people who know nothing about rifles or firearms.

I think Im coming to the conclusion that Im going to buy the MM for the intact birds and swastikas and buy a RC for the originality...... I dont buy the notion that a MM gun has zero collectors value the more I read into it. Yes, it has ZERO collectors value as an ORIGINAL as issued german piece and yes, after reading a bit it it does have ZERO collectors value as MM advertises it. But, there are a limited number of k98's with there intact nazi markings so I dont see how 30 years from now when there are even fewer left available that people will turn their noses up at a piece like that......

Yes, it does very much seem that MM falsely advertises their mausers, so I really do understand the hatered directed to them....

I remember years ago someone was selling 655 proof mark stamp along with a nazi eagle stamp on Guns America,someone pointed out Mitchells stock just went down lol.

The stamps sold just north of $3500 I think.

Un-molested by me. Lol

I like the MM because of it's super condition. No one knows what the person that had a weapon did to it, Russians or bubba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK! What do you call un-molested?

Good question. Here is an answer that is purely relative to my viewpoint and in order of desireability and value.

1. Factory Issued- all the parts are there as when it left the factory.
2. Wartime field or arsenal repair- parts were replaced when needed by the country that issued the rifle.
3. Post war arsenal repair/rework- completed by the issuing country or an allied nation post war.
4. Secondary country arsenal repair/rework.- the RC, Israeli, Norwegein etc. etc K98's.
5. Private Industry reworks- a historical gun that was reworked/restored as a business venture like Mitchell Mausers & Golden State.
6. Bubba-

Feel free to add/amend the list per your perspective.

I got a mm byf k98. No rc x all German marks intact and barrel is original to receiver with excellent bore. Bolt was force matched, but all the parts on it are what you'd find on a mid war k98 so looks right. (quick milled front band, sight hood , cupped buttplate) dead balls accurate at200 yards. Even blued the bolt to match. Is a great looking Nazi rifle that isn't a trashed sewer pipe.

Excellent thread.

Great information, observations, experience and opinions from several different perspectives and sources of Mauser rifles.

Hasn't been this much activity and emotion in the Milsurp forum for a while. [wink]

i wouldn't shy away from mitchells
i bought one of select ones with a laminated stock with a shiny bore becuase i wanted a good shooter
yes they grind and restamp some of the hard parts and will it be devalued in the eyes of a historic collecter, yes.
What i received was a new riffle, i disasembled it and every part had been refinished or new.
nice thing about mitchels is that they grade them so you know what you get

I'll go ahead and list the link because the distributor stopped honoring MA 03FFLs a long time ago. https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-2010.html
Samco has some of the finest quality Mauser types left in the country today. They'll ship to an 01FFL here in MA. I got one of the Czech models years ago and while the receiver has been scrubbed, it still has many original stampings that were left un touched and the rifle itself is like new inside and out.

Here is my recent purchase, un-molested.

QUOTE]

Cool Tommy

is that the one a certain distributor was selling for around $300? It was not an RC but an "originals" from some back room? I have one that looks just like that one. birds intact. Mine is not the prettiest but it was a cheap Non-RC. They sold out in about a week of some 300 rifles

1. No collector value as it is a Mitchell Mauser. Nazi and code markings will be original, but some small parts will be ground and restamped to match.
2. Poor resale value, see #1.
3. If you want a nice rearsenaled shooter, you could do worse. The one I had was a great shooter.
4. How is the bore condition?
5. $400 is $50 less than an RC in my local store.
6. So this boils down to one question: do you want a shooter or a collector piece?

It seems to me that in your case a decent RC be better; it will (1) shoot just as well and (2) it will have more historical and collectible value as the parts are original with the history of WWII use and Russian capture.

MS
Sorry to disagree buddy but as a employee for a dealer I have more people asking for Mitchell . They want a rifle with a perfect barrel and nice wood. Something they can shoot. I just sold my Yugo Mitchell for 75 bucks more than I paid.
I love my k98 and Yugo. They shoot great , look great and if I want a all matching K98 I just go to another rack and there they are. Folks just starting out may not have the same desire you have to have all matching "real" Mausers.
As to the original question as to buyers remorse, IMO you did the right thing. You purchased what you wanted. That's what its all about!!!! Happy shooting!!!

That right there is funny stuff. Anyone get one of these? The description they wrote up didn't say many positive things about their condition.

55_grain

LOL. I'm with Tommy , it is such a POS , i think i would have been happier with a mitchell. (and go back and ready what I said about MM-not a fan)
but to the point, I have my first non RC place holder cheap (sorta cheap).

Back
Top Bottom