Mini-kits for survival

Here's my general woodsbumming kit. By no means does it have everything, but it is small enough to go in my pocket, so it goes everywhere I go. It supplements other gear. This is not a 'the plane went down and I gotta survive' kit. It's used when hiking or walking in areas where I'd at most be lost for 72 hours. If I were backpacking, I'd add more.

survivalkit2dc0.jpg

While I'm no expert in survival, I have read a lot, studied and practiced skills.

1. string of 6 split shot sinkers - for fishing
2. balloon - for water transportation. There are better choices but this is compact.
3. two contractor trash bags - many uses, including improvised shelter, windbreak and waterproofing, signaling and water collection
4. baggie to hold kit (since replaced by a waterproof box that is a better cup)
5. 6 number 14 fishing hooks - fishing. emergency-only snaring of small game
6. small rolls of surgical tape - not quite duct tape but for binding and lashing, woun treatment though not sterile
7. 25 feet of 12 pound monofilament fishing line -fishing, binding, emergency-only bird snares
8. 10 feet of 24 gauge steel wire - binding and small game snares. You can improvise cordage in the wild, but it's easier just to pack this
9. compass/thermometer combination - compass is a backup
10. razor blade - small, sharp blade. Note that it is not sterilized
11. fresnel lens - magnifier and solar fire starter
12. rubber bands - keep everything tight
13. 25' nylon string - more cordage, tie downs for my trash-bag shelter, for lashing arrows or making snares
14. 12" square of aluminum foil - signaling, water collection and boiling
15. matches - go to fire starter. if wet or I cannot manage, go to the backups
16. cotton balls - tinder, wound treatment
17. Boy scout hot spark ferro rod & striker - backup fire kit, signaling
18. basic signaling pamphlet - home made reminde
19. whistle - signaling
20. swiss army knife - I always have a knife. Usually two.

Last edited:
Done. Now that I've written this up, I noticed that I'm light on medical, especially wound treatment. 'll make up a first aid kit.

Have you used any of these items for these purposes? I'm a little doubtful that some of them would be functional for the purposes you've described.

I carry the adventure medical kits pocket survival kit. My wife bought it for me and I love it. I would replace that balloon with a non lubed condom they are much stronger

Some of the items seem a little odd to me if the intention is being lost for a maximum of 72 hours. I'm no expert either, but why bother with the food-catching stuff (fishhooks, sinkers, etc) for three days? Three days without food is hardly an issue. If you did have a nutritional concerns for the first three days, it would be energy (calories), and all you are going to get from fish or meat is protein, which generally represents a net loss of energy (more calories to digest than you get from it). I'd probably go with a couple of candy bars or energy bars instead.

Much more important than food is water, and I don't see how a balloon helps. Without a means to pressurize the water, you aren't going to get much more than a half a cup into a balloon. I think a heavy-duty ziplock bag would be a lot better and just as compact. Seems like a means to disinfect water would be a priority, probably tablets would be most practical for a kit like this. I don't think the idea of boiling water in foil is that practical.

Besides water, I think first aid and shelter are going to be priorities for the first three days. For such a small kit, not sure how you could do a lot better for shelter, but I would do something better in the first aid department, including adding some pain killers, maybe a few ibuprofin at a minimum.

Thanks for the responses.

Matt - yes, I have used these items. Some work better than others. In addition to using them individually, I did a solo overnight camping trip where I used the kit. I brought regular camping gear as backup but did manage to get a fire and catch fish.

Again, these aren't super-duty items, but work in a pinch. The trashbags can be slit open to form a poncho or tied to a frame for an improvised wind break. I've built igloos and debris huts, too.

Bambame2/RobertJ/DSM - correct, there are better choices as I said for water transportation. Getting a lot into a balloon is tough unless you have a bottle, in which case the purpose of the balloon is defeated. A condom is better for this purpose, a baggie better but neither beats the bottle. The foil is better for gathering water and for boiling.

Energy bars or food usually go in my backpack if I'm out in the woods. 3 days without food is definitely doable, but the 'food getting gear' takes up very little space and gives you something to do while you wait. Did I mention this is to supplement my existing gear? :)

Water is the priority. However, measuring how much iodine or PurAqua treatment you need to kill the bugs makes it impractical as opposed to simply boiling, IMO.

Medicine is definitely lacking.

Jay_Chris - I've taken at least one class and attended several internet-organized wilderness survival get togethers where these skills and others were presented and practiced. I plan on taking others as they come up and as my time and funding permit.

Everyone loves a good friction fire class. Some of these events were taught by bona fide instructors. My instructors, professional and amateur have so far been great but the problem with wilderness training instructors is that it seems anyone can hang out a shingle and be bona fide these days.

It's the 'as long as you can hump that stuff' part that makes this kit small. Large survival kits tend to get left at camp or in the car.

Staying warm, dry and hydrated are key after life-threatening injuries. Signalling would come next for me, then I'd worry about food.

In truth, the bulk of my survival kit is in my brain. :)

Great, stuff already kickin' around the house kit.
It may be alittle primative, seems to be missing Blackberry /PDA /Cellular phone & a quality "Leatherman" type multi tool.

I'm not quite sure how we got to SERE and "Rambo" [rolleyes] but I gotta ask: what do you take into the woods when you go for a walk or hunting for the day?

I agree with some points/items, others just seem like standard advice that I questioned then and have since discarded. Now, if they work for you, that's great. I mean that. I'm not trying to dissuade you from your kit and I'm definitely not trying to criticize you. I'm really just saying that I've had better success with some things than others.

1. Fishing stuff: Generally these kits contain some sort of line and hook. Personally, I have a hard enough time catching fish on a nice day with a full tackle box off the back of a bass boat. I've tried several times without a rod and found that I couldn't catch anything from shore without one. I scared the fish away when I went in the water, and I ended up eating nothing that night. In fact, I've eaten nothing on several occasions in the woods. As someone else pointed out, it's not the end of the world. I've also gotten lost on a few occasions in the wilderness, and I wasn't stopping to eat; I was trying to get out of there. When you are lost it's as if a stopwatch goes off from the moment you realize, and/or admit it. All your thoughts are focused on doing what you need to to get "back." Whether it's re-thinking your map reading, re-evaluating the terrain, considering the weather or recalling ingress, heck even if it's just staving off panic to preserve clear thinking in you or the group, the point is you are focused on getting out. Fishing for food on the other hand, is the action of someone who for any number of reasons, has accepted the notion that they are going to be "there" for at least the next overnight. In New England, there aren't many places you can go that you won't hike out of baring injury. Follow streams downhill, orient with the sun and recall road maps. You'll get out in a day or two. This doesn't really hold for much of the rest of the country though. Montana for instance, many not be the place to try that strategy. I don't know.

Water "Balloon":
If you've had to filter water you know what a pain that can be even with nice filters if you're doing several quarts each time you stop. Ballons break easily. If water is precious because:

A. I survive (or not) on my water supply
B. I worked hard to get every ounce or it's scarce

I wouldn't risk it in such an inadequate container. There's no reason to. A couple of one quart water sacks from Platypus will weigh about the same and compact tightly (though not as small as a balloon.) On the othe hand, these will not break and they can be re-sealed so you can drink out of them and then seal them easily with a top. Can't do that with a balloon either. In the end, there's just no reason to risk it.

Contractor Bags (or Garbage Dispose-al Bags): YES! These things are possibly one of the most perfect outdoor tools. I had 2 each one lasted more than 80 days straight as a pack liner before being replaced.

Surgical tape: Why? I mean, I have it in my medical kit and I understand that it's better than duct tape for human use but not that much. Just double up on the ductape, it will hold better in the rain anyway. I have fixed plenty of blisters (epic blisters) and even a puncture wound with that grey wonder tape. Seriously, there are Mexican doctors who are less effective after 4 years of medical school than I am with a roll of duct tape. Duct Tape: It's fer fixin things.

Snare fixings: Again, I'd put this in the same category as the fish hooks. If I'm snaring game, I'm settling down and I don't do that in New England. Then there's the whole "snaring thing." That is to say, I have no idea how to do it. If you do, kudos. It's a cool skill to have but while I've read a bit and I did stay at a holiday in, I don't know much else.

Ditto the arrows...

Good to see back up fire sources...

Interesting to read about the homemade signal card. Great idea, as is the whistle. So many people forget how hard and how much energy it takes to yell for help. SAK that's a great low key choice.

Last edited:
I had not thought of a balloon for water, how much can you actually get in it without pressure?

The mylar bag that comes with a box of wine works well for a expedient canteen. Just be sure to empty it before you need it! Seriously, you should wash the empty bag out well. It packs down small and even comes with a neat little valve.

But I gotta ask - If you were wandering around in the woods hunting / hiking, why wouldn't you have a camelbak / Nalgene bottle / canteen with you in the first place?

what do you take into the woods when you go for a walk or hunting for the day?

I take all the gear I think I might need for an "unplanned bivouac" where I got turned around on a trail or twisted an ankle and it is starting to get dark. A bit of food, a way to purify water, shelter from rain and / or wind, an extra insulating layer (including gloves and a hat), fire starting gear, and more fire starting gear.

I use the Ten Essentials list to base off of, but modify it to fit my needs.

I agree with some points/items, others just seem like standard advice that I questioned then and have since discarded. Now, if they work for you, that's great. I mean that. I'm not trying to dissuade you from your kit and I'm definitely not trying to criticize you. I'm really just saying that I've had better success with some things than others.

Intelligent discussion is always appreciated.

1. Fishing stuff: Generally these kits contain some sort of line and hook. Personally, I have a hard enough time catching fish on a nice day with a full tackle box off the back of a bass boat.

True, especially in winter.

I've also gotten lost on a few occasions in the wilderness, and I wasn't stopping to eat; I was trying to get out of there. When you are lost it's as if a stopwatch goes off from the moment you realize, and/or admit it.

ditto

In New England, there aren't many places you can go that you won't hike out of baring injury. Follow streams downhill, orient with the sun and recall road maps. You'll get out in a day or two.

Which is why I feel this kit, with standard hiking gear works in this region.

I wouldn't risk it in such an inadequate container.

Again, I never said 'this is all I carry.'

Contractor Bags (or Garbage Dispose-al Bags): YES! These things are possibly one of the most perfect outdoor tools. I had 2 each one lasted more than 80 days straight as a pack liner before being replaced.

Surgical tape: Why?

Valid point.

Snare fixings: Again, I'd put this in the same category as the fish hooks. If I'm snaring game, I'm settling down and I don't do that in New England. Then there's the whole "snaring thing." That is to say, I have no idea how to do it. If you do, kudos.

True again, except that if I were truly lost in parts of NE, I'd likely set up a camp, find water and settle down for at least 3 days or at least long enough to get the water drinkable. As for snaring, I'm no expert, but I'm comfortable with my skill level.

Ditto the arrows...
another valid point, though I do knap a nifty bird point. It ain't no Clovis, but it'd do.

Who wouldn't?

You!

Here's my general woodsbumming kit.

2. balloon - for water transportation. There are better choices but this is compact.

Why carry a balloon (for all the negative reasons mentioned beforehand) when you (should) have a much better container already with you. Sure, a balloon is small and compact, but it does not work very well as a container to transport water in.

I have carried water in a condom before, but only after placing it in a spare sock. It might be "uber-survivalist", but I would not recommend it. Compared to a Mylar wine box bag, the condom trick is terrible.

I would rather have a GI 2-quart canteen with me. It can double as a pillow!

Last edited:
... what do you take into the woods when you go for a walk or hunting for the day?

day trip:
  • flashlight (in case "the day" runs into "the night")
  • matches
  • knife (goes most everywhere)
  • compass
  • extra knife in backpack
  • extra lighter in backpack
  • bug spray
  • sun screen
  • playing cards
  • maybe raisins, bagel, or cookies, apple or some other fruit
  • water bottles (maybe two or three)
  • binoculars
  • cell phone (sometimes)
  • bandaids (in wallet and in backpack)
  • I usually have an asprin or two or ibuprofen or two loose in my pocket (comes with arthritis/age)
  • walking stick

Back
Top Bottom