• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MINI APPLESEED SUNDAY, NOV. 16, MONADNOCK, NH

Firewall99

RWVA Instructor
We’re on for a Mini-Appleseed on Sunday, Nov. 16, at noon (when it's warmest) at Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, NH's first club to sign. The club is located at 500 Jaffrey Rd (RT 202), Peterborough, NH 03458.

Suggest you come early if you don’t know where it is. There is to be no shooting before noon, however, due to an agreement with the nearby Quaker Mission.

You may wish to write down my cel number (888-221-8628) and bring it with you (and hope there is cel coverage there).

Food and water might also be a good idea.

Should be fun!

John

Well, everybody who was asking for a mini... Here it is!

Triple "Thank you!!!" to the Quaker Mission for making the start time a civilized hour. [smile]

Hope to see you all there. [smile]

Don't stay home if you're from MA. It's a very short drive to the border compared to some of the places I've been going.

Can people come to just observe?

A Watcher, eh? Sorry, Duncan MacLeod will be at another shoot. [wink]

Seriously, why would you just want to watch? Bring a rifle and join in. There's no charge, no one is going to make fun of how you shoot, and you'll learn something. There is NO REASON not to shoot. Need a rifle? Post it here and it's likely that someone going up there will have a spare.

A Watcher, eh? Sorry, Duncan MacLeod will be at another shoot. [wink]

Seriously, why would you just want to watch? Bring a rifle and join in. There's no charge, no one is going to make fun of how you shoot, and you'll learn something. There is NO REASON not to shoot. Need a rifle? Post it here and it's likely that someone going up there will have a spare.

For a guest. I am not concerned with my shooting.

Somewhere around here?

Dwarven1's map fix seems correct. Don't forget lunch.

Did you know that you don't need a full Appleseed to make Rifleman? All that is required is to submit a 210 or greater target to Nickle. Of course, if you do, we'll want to make an instructor out of you.

NH is looking for instructors big time, so come one, come all!

Last edited:

Time may be found on the first page of this thread.

If the two map fixes are different, go with the one on the MRGCI site:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...1,-71.981&spn=0.001786,0.003857&t=h&z=18&om=1

While we are there, we will get our own fix. This is one of the reasons why Lat/Lon fixes are more reliable.

(Always take your fix on the street, not inside the club, because some GPS systems are reallly stupid and cannot navigate at all if the fix is not on a real road in their database.)

Dwarven1's map fix seems correct. Don't forget lunch.

Did you know that you don't need a full Appleseed to make Rifleman? All that is required is to submit a 210 or greater target to Nickle. Of course, if you do, we'll want to make an instructor out of you.

NH is looking for instructors big time, so come one, come all!

Don't even have to submit it to me. Just to one of our area Instructors.

Yup, submit it to me, Firewall99, crak, dwarven1, Mr Twigg, Martlet, Buzzworth, any of the others in the VT/NH/NY/ME team, and we'll make it happen for you.

I just saw this thread. Can I just show up, no advanced notice? I never did get around to connecting a sling to my 10/22 but everything else about it is ready to go. Although I would like to learn to use the sling properly... I'm not impressed with my accuracy if I'm just standing there holding the rifle and firing w/o any support.

I just saw this thread. Can I just show up, no advanced notice? I never did get around to connecting a sling to my 10/22 but everything else about it is ready to go. Although I would like to learn to use the sling properly... I'm not impressed with my accuracy if I'm just standing there holding the rifle and firing w/o any support.

I'll be there to show you the sling.

I would be interested in going this weekend, but I'm wondering a couple things:
1. I'm newly getting back into shooting. Is an event like this too much for someone who is, frankly, a beginner?
2. I also don't have my LTC yet (recently applied). So, I would have to borrow someone's .22. Would someone have a spare they could lend me?
3. Also, I'm totally willing to drive anyone from the metrowest area if they want to save on the gas.

Thanks,
toga

Hi all,

Great afternoon today! A little breezey and cold, but still a great time. Nice range. Forgot the camera while running out the door, so no pics [sad].

John and Crak, Thanks for the instruction and getting this set up. (follow through, follow through, follow through, follow through, follow through, follow through...)

Great group of shooters. It was nice to meet all of you.

Matt

Thanks to everyone for a really fun and educational day today. Particular thanks goes to John and Crak for fantastic instruction. Particular particular thanks to John for letting me borrow his 10/22.

Like Matt, I enjoyed meeting everyone, and I look forward to our next outing.

Cheers,
toga

To say we had a good day would be an understatement. This was a great group of people who all worked together and learned a lot.

Mother Nature, however, was a bitch. The wind was 20+ mph and the wind chill put us all to the test, and we rose to meet it. (Though I'll bet some people will be looking for shooting gloves soon.)

Particularly bad was that the wind was running straight into the targets. Just by dumb luck, I’d bought five foot stakes (which made the targets shorter than usual) and a sledge hammer. Eric had brought solid wood slabs, and with everybody’s help we put up a target stand, propped from the get go, that Mother Nature couldn’t lick. By geesum, those targets stayed up the whole time!

This thing started when Eric and I decided to get together for a shoot. With only 3 days advance notice, seven shooters and two instructors showed up! In the cold, in the wind, after a storm. Think about that. Imagine what will happen when we fully advertise a real Appleseed in NH on a sunny, summer day. We’re gonna need a longer line.

Because most of the shooters were new to Appleseed, I decided to run this mini more like a full shoot, with full safety briefing, including shouting, memorizing, and quizzing the rules, the steps to firing a shot, Red Coats, sighters, sight adjusting, and equipment fixes.

Thank God Crak showed up when he did. He took the group through the entire firing the shot and position basics up to the first AQT in 2 hours! It was a wonder to see a Red Hat churn through everything important so fast and so brilliantly. Thank, you Crak!

Let me tell you about these New England shooters. Every single one knew what they were about. Right off the bat, all had distinct groups, and almost all of them were tight. Had we had just a little more time, we could have seen more than a couple make Riflemen today. (I’ll start it earlier next time, you bet.) We’re going to see a lot of new Riflemen this summer in NH, and new instructors, too.

So I’d like to thank everyone in this fine group for the excellent work they did today. You have shown that Appleseed will do well in NH, and you will, too.

The next mini will be in Plainfield, NH, at the Grafton County Fish & Game, just south of West Lebanon, sometime soon after Thanksgiving. You all know what you need to buy, so get those slings and shooting gloves, and let’s do this again!

I’ll post advance notice in the Appleseed Forum in the “New Hampshire” thread and over at NewEnglandshooters.com forum in the “Appleseed Training” thread.

Horray, my first Appleseed event. It was good to meet everyone. Thanks for having it... I was thinking I wouldn't get another chance to go to one until next spring, so this was a pleasant surprise. I used my AR15 today because it had a sling, but next time I'll see if I can attach the swivel studs to the 10/22 (has the Tech sights on it so I'm GTG with that).

Back
Top Bottom