Mini 14 Tactical - Mass legal?

Is the Mini 14 Tactical (20/CF) mass legal. I know you can't have 20 cap mag. But what about Pistol grip + Telescoping/folding stock. No flash suppressor.

Can you get a reg Mini 14 and just upgrade the stock to an ATI and not be breaking the law?

Thanks,

PB

Yes I am a rookie. I did try to search forum.

1) You would have to pin the collapsible stock, or get the 20GBCPC with the standard, non-collapsible, straight stock.

2) You can use pre-ban large capacity magazines (>10 rounds), but post-ban large capacity magazines would be a felony.

Thanks for quick response. I don't mean to be a mutton head but how would one "pin the collapsible stock"? No big deal right?

I am loving the look of the ATI stock. I am think I'd buy a Mini 14 and go aftermarket stock. I don't see any internet stocks that are not collapsible (that I like).

Thanks. Great forums all.

~ PB

If it has an unscrewable FH you'll either have to weld and pin a barrel nut over the threads, round the threads off, or weld and pin a brake on it. You'd also have to pin the stock or put a fixed stock on it. The PG is OK.

You can have the 20 round mag if you can find prebans for it and you have an LTC-B or better. Of course, finding preban ruger mags that arent absolute crap is a task unto and of itself. It really kills the viability of the rifle in this state- because most of the prebans you find are trash. Some can be "made to work" with some tinkering.

'Another option is to find a preban mini-14 that had evil features before the ban was passed in 94. Then you don't have to worry about any of this stuff. Course the problem is the older minis are "minute of barn" at 100 yards in terms of accuracy. (hell, the newer ones are probably like that too, with the exception of the target version with the dampener) The guns are often worse than a lot of AK clones.

-Mike

Last edited:
MIni 14s are nice, had one 5yrs ago, but for a few extra bucks a ar15 is more accurate. 0r maybe my mini 14 had a bad barrel.~ just sayin...

Just a word of caution the ATI stocks look nice but im my honest opinion are junk . There Flimsy and not very strong, this after buying one and breaking it .
I dont know if anyone else had this type of problem but i was not impressed with ATI products. Just a heads up.

Thanks for quick response. I don't mean to be a mutton head but how would one "pin the collapsible stock"? No big deal right?
Maybe it would be no big deal for you, but it would be for me. I'm not a gun plumber and I don't play one on TV. I'm sure a gunsmith could pin it for you, but you simply couldn't legally take delivery of the rifle at a MA FFL and drive it to a gunsmith (nor take it home and fix it yourself). As soon as you are in possession of that unpinned rifle in MA, you have committed a felony.

I am loving the look of the ATI stock. I am think I'd buy a Mini 14 and go aftermarket stock. I don't see any internet stocks that are not collapsible (that I like).
Sorry, but you can't have a working, collapsible stock on a post-ban Mini 14 here in MA. It must be a fixed stock or a pinned collapsible stock.

As drgrant points out, finding working pre-ban, large capacity Mini-14 magazines is not an easy task. And when you have finally done that, you are stuck with Mini-14 inaccuracy.

If you want a tacticool rifle with a pistol grip and collapsible stock, you'd be better of getting an AR15. Plenty of cheap, reliable, pre-ban large capacity magazines around. Plenty of pre-ban rifles around. A zillion choices of aftermarket stuff to put on it. And far more accurate out of the box.

MIni 14s are nice, had one 5yrs ago, but for a few extra bucks a ar15 is more accurate. 0r maybe my mini 14 had a bad barrel.~ just sayin...
Yes and no. Your Mini-14 indeed had a bad barrel. But that's true of all Mini-14s. Their barrels suck.

Thank you all.

I have $750 store credit at a gun shop and I was hoping to get a "fun gun" to shot at the range. I figured the AR15 were another $400 on top of that so I was try to stay cheap. Maybe I sit for a few weeks to get more cash.

thanks.

Thank you all.

I have $750 store credit at a gun shop and I was hoping to get a "fun gun" to shot at the range. I figured the AR15 were another $400 on top of that so I was try to stay cheap. Maybe I sit for a few weeks to get more cash.

thanks.
You can get a post-ban AR15 for under $1000. Can't have a collapsible stock on it, though.

Thank you all.

thanks.

you'll be able to find a lot of "optics ready" (no sights) AR-15's for under $1000 and some even have already pinned collapsable stocks on them....i bought an optics ready m&p 15 for under $900

You can get a post-ban AR15 for under $1000. Can't have a collapsible stock on it, though.
I just don't get what a collapsible stock has to do with being an assault rifle, mass shootings or protection of the civilian liberals. The logic just doesn't work. A collapsible stock allows it to be stored with less of a footprint. What does that have to do with anything except storage? Besides, Massachusetts is #50 in gun violence-the lowest in the country. As the Commissioner of Police Chiefs stated, all this stuff does absolutely nothing to stop crime! All police chiefs in all 351 Cities & towns and 100 plus Universities have advised all sponsors to walk away from this legislation-it will make our state less secure and violates the Constitution which they have taken an oath to defend the constitution. I am expected to honor my oath even as a Veteran They are just pecking at it until there is nothing is left. What will happen to the Bay State when there are no weapons for people to protect themselves from criminals, an invasion China or Russia and the military has been reduced-No resistance is very very bad! What about wild animals that want to kill us (every day there are bear roaming around my house) Do they expect me to throw apples at them just to get to my truck? I can't tell you how many times I have had to shot across the bow of a coyote growling at me they hunt in packs so they are all around me. Not cool Dem's... you will be crying when it becomes a reality and crime goes up due to the real problem Soft on Crime. When they know of less resistance, they the criminals will be emboldened to swoop in and kill, rob etc. It's a moot point I guess... the Supreme Court of the United States will reverse all of this junk; but, in the mean time we have to wait up to 6 years unless an emergency session is requested.

Last edited:
I just don't get what a collapsible stock has to do with being an assault rifle, mass shootings or protection of the civilian liberals. The logic just doesn't work. A collapsible stock allows it to be stored with less of a footprint. What does that have to do with anything except storage? Besides, Massachusetts is #50 in gun violence-the lowest in the country. As the Commissioner of Police Chiefs stated, all this stuff does absolutely nothing to stop crime! All police chiefs in all 351 Cities & towns and 100 plus Universities have advised all sponsors to walk away from this legislation-it will make our state less secure and violates the Constitution. They are just pecking at it until there is nothing is left. What will happen to the Bay State when there are no weapons for people to protect themselves from criminals, an invasion China or Russia and the military has been reduced-No resistance is very very bad! What about wild animals that want to kill us (every day there are bear roaming around my house) Do they expect me to throw apples at them just to get to my truck? I can't tell you how many times I have had to shot across the bow of a coyote growling at me they hunt in packs so they are all around me. Not cool Dem's... you will be crying when it becomes a reality and crime goes up due to the real problem Soft on Crime. When they know of less resistance, they the criminals will be emboldened to swoop in and kill, rob etc.
You're preaching to the choir.

Is the Mini 14 Tactical (20/CF) mass legal. I know you can't have 20 cap mag. But what about Pistol grip + Telescoping/folding stock. No flash suppressor.

Can you get a reg Mini 14 and just upgrade the stock to an ATI and not be breaking the law?

Thanks,

PB

Yes I am a rookie. I did try to search forum.

A easy Mass-legal Mini-14 is basically the ranch rifle. Keeps things fudd-friendly. If you do want to go all tactical you need to watch your features and basically can choose 1 (plus the detachable mag) B17A034D-96AB-4937-A492-0C786B612DB8.jpeg
No Samson folder for you. Pinned stock is nice as you can adjust length of pull and then pin it but then you likely need gunsmith help unless you are pretty handy.

Edit:
I also like a nice pump shotgun as a MA legal gun. Plus putting in the time to train on it is a friggin blast.

M1A Socom (16” barrrel) is also bad ass but $2k

Last edited:
I have heard the argument that a folding stock makes it easier to conceal in a backpack or other case, and when you add a flash hider or silencer it makes it even more super killy...

OK, so why would a prison want a rifle that has such a problem? If I was a corrections officer trying to break up a fight and came under armed attack by prison gang members, I would hope that a tower guard would shoot down my attackers rather than miss them and hit me.
I don't know where that prison rifle thing came from I think there was some prison that actually used it for some reason and it just became'80s gun shop bullshit.... 🤣

I don't know where that prison rifle thing came from I think there was some prison that actually used it for some reason and it just became'80s gun shop bullshit.... 🤣
I watched a series called locked up extended stay. San Quentin, Frontera, Folsom and other prisons and their inmates were featured. Guards in the towers and catwalks were armed with what looked like Mini 14 rifles.

Everyone knows that they are for crack commandos that are framed for crimes they didn’t commit and subsequently escape for maximum security stockades. They are used by soldiers of fortune who are wanted by the government. Men who help those that no one else can help, if they can be found.

Last edited:
Lore. Also, a 14 year old thread. Yes, even the hey-day of 'the A Team'.

Ruger president and then owner Bill Ruger was trying to get police contracts and did sell them at a discount to some prison, corrections and sheriff departments. The inaccuracy was something they could live with as the distance was basically cqb, and an inmate is going to hit the floor after the first shot.

After the "Security" revolver line Ruger tried to use the "P" pistol line for getting side arm contracts. I got my first, a P89DC, when they first came out through a sheriff department vendor I was doing SAR work with. Also, there were variations sold to overseas po-pos that have been discussed here through the years. Notably the French. See below. Matt

mousqueton.jpg

It was March 1986, and I had just arrived in Paris for the first time in my life. With a few other students from my study-abroad program, I rode the Metro to the landmark where our Paris experience would begin: Place De La Concorde. But, as we all climbed up to street level, my attention was immediately distracted by the site of a policeman from the Gendarmerie Nationale who was positioned by the fountain of Maritime Navigation.

He was dressed in a dark blue tactical uniform, and he carried a magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifle. Although I was only a 16-year-old high-school student at the time and, therefore, did not know much about firearms, I immediately recognized the unmistakable profile of the Ruger Mini-14. Ever since that encounter nearly 30 years ago, I have been interested in learning more about the French use of this prolific and successful semi-automatic American sporting rifle.

In 1978, the French Service de Sécurité du Ministère de l'Intérieur (SSMI) sought to adopt a new carbine—mousqueton in French—to replace the aging MAT-49 submachine gun that was reaching the end of its service life. By this time, national security forces and prison guards were in need of something more than a shotgun or submachine gun to provide the kind of firepower needed to meet the challenges of maintaining law and order in the often troubled urban reality of modern France. Only a lightweight, magazine-fed, semi-automatic firearm in a modern caliber would do the job. Also, since this new gun would be used for police and internal security work, the SSMI wanted something that did not look quite as militaristic as the FAMAS assault rifle.
null
Despite resembling a Mini-14, the Mousqueton A.M.D. was developed for use by French government agencies.
▶️With those needs in mind, the French government placed an order with renowned U.S. gunmaker Sturm, Ruger & Company of Southport, CT for its Mini-14 rifle chambered in .223 Rem. These French-contract guns resembled the standard commercial Mini-14 from the late 1970s in nearly every way, but the receiver markings read:MousquetonA.M.D. - 5.56A.P.

The "A.M.D." stands for Armement Moyen de Défense ("intermediate defense weapon") and the "A.P." stands for Administration Pénitentiaire ("prison administration"). In a departure from the U.S. commercial Mini-14, the Sturm, Ruger roll marks were placed on the left side of the Mousqueton A.M.D.'s receiver, below the wood line. In addition, guns produced under the French contract were delivered with a black plastic upper handguard and a checkered stock with a recoil pad and sling cutout

OK, so why would a prison want a rifle that has such a problem? If I was a corrections officer trying to break up a fight and came under armed attack by prison gang members, I would hope that a tower guard would shoot down my attackers rather than miss them and hit me.
Prisons don’t actually expect to be shooting their rifles and they aren’t likely to be breaking up a fight by shooting. And if they did, they wouldn’t particularly care about collateral damage. But, the reality is that they wouldn’t be taking long shots and 3 MOA is perfectly fine for that purpose. What a prison cares about is 1) is it cheap and 2) is it durable.

That said, I don’t think prisons was a significant market for the mini-14. There were some law enforcement sales, some military sales, and some civilian sales. But AR-15 is a better rifle all around.

I watched a series called locked up extended stay. San Quentin, Frontera, Folsom and other prisons and their inmates were featured. Guards in the towers and catwalks were armed with what looked like Mini 14 rifles.

Plus the A-Team used them. Don't let the naysayers here fool you, Mini-14s are used in every prison and by many mercenaries worldwide.

Plus the A-Team used them. Don't let the naysayers here fool you, Mini-14s are used in every prison and by many mercenaries worldwide.
Manufacturers suggested retail for Mini 14 is about a grand. No thanks. Many rifles out there on the market that cost much less, are equally reliable (if not more so!) and are considerably more accurate.

If it has an unscrewable FH you'll either have to weld and pin a barrel nut over the threads, round the threads off, or weld and pin a brake on it. You'd also have to pin the stock or put a fixed stock on it. The PG is OK.

You can have the 20 round mag if you can find prebans for it and you have an LTC-B or better. Of course, finding preban ruger mags that arent absolute crap is a task unto and of itself. It really kills the viability of the rifle in this state- because most of the prebans you find are trash. Some can be "made to work" with some tinkering.

'Another option is to find a preban mini-14 that had evil features before the ban was passed in 94. Then you don't have to worry about any of this stuff. Course the problem is the older minis are "minute of barn" at 100 yards in terms of accuracy. (hell, the newer ones are probably like that too, with the exception of the target version with the dampener) The guns are often worse than a lot of AK clones.

-Mike

I had 2 pre ban factory folders back in the day. Mikes right. Not very accurate and rocking the magazine to get inserted sucks as well. I smartened up and went Colt AR from that point on. Never had a hiccup with a colt in all of these years since my mini 14 days

Back
Top Bottom