mind blowing ar-15 question

i'm typing on my phone so bare with me. Im trying to add a buttpad extension on the end og my stock. Problem is i can't remove the flat-head screw attached to the sling-post. When i turn the screw, the sling post will follow it. Is this some sort of locking screw so it doesn't come loose from having a sling. Hope this all makes sense. I can't remove that damn screw!

it's a bushmaster "stubby stock". It seems like it's just a normal screw going through the back into the sling mount. The sling mount is able to move all the way left and right. I'm not able to loosen or tighten the screw. It just follows the sling mount like it's attached to it. Sorry i have no pics.

They probably used some thread locker ........... lean on it, or shoot it off!

They do (use thread lock/Loctite).

Even after market buttstock screws come with a dab of pre-applied dab of it on.

Normally, I'd suggest applying a bit of heat to the fastener, but since there's the proximity of the plastic stock involved, you really can't do that.

Best bet is is to just use a quality flat head screwdriver with a snug fit and a set of visegrips on the handle, or a a ratchet with a flathead screwdriver socket.

Heat or cold will break the thread locker free. At work I have a can of stuff that will freeze anything, tried it on a rusted nut/bolt the other day, came right off where as before it would not budge.
I got it from one of those companies that come and refill your nuts, bolts, screws, drills, etc, stock once a month but I would think you could find a like product at a auto parts store.

Sounds like cool stuff (sic) but have not heard of this before.....

Certainly have had my share of times when I could use something like this....;- )

Is there a brand name or such that I should look for?

You can get cans of freeze spray at electronics stores such as You Do It in Needham. One brand is Chemtronics.

Heat or cold will break the thread locker free. At work I have a can of stuff that will freeze anything, tried it on a rusted nut/bolt the other day, came right off where as before it would not budge.
I got it from one of those companies that come and refill your nuts, bolts, screws, drills, etc, stock once a month but I would think you could find a like product at a auto parts store.

use a quality slotted screwdriver with parallel sides. NOt a craftsman with a tapered edges. and be sure to use the largest size possible. that way there is no lag when turning, and you get a snug direct fit to the slotted channel...

also tapping the end of the screwdriver with a hammer. see if that breaks things up. not to mention this should all be done when being held in a soild manner like in a vise. if you are holding it free hand or just laying on the table the force you are using on the screwdriver is going to waste or not enough. you need to position it in a manner were you can lean your weight on it and not break anything in the process. that way the force you put into it pushes back.

you can also turn a can of aerosal duster upside down and get a blast of very cold vapor that might help also if you dont want to heat it up, to the same effect of what kicker96fs mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom