MilSurp of the Month; May '13 - THE WINNER IS>>>

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rules:
1. Semi-auto pistols only this month
2. Must meet the criteria of a C&R or MilSurp
3. Pistol must have been acquired between May of '12 and May of '13 according to your records
4. Up to three pictures per entry with brief information; cost, significance, etc.
5. No limit to the number of entries, save rule#3
6. If multiple entries, please put in title (go advanced) "Entry #2", etc.
7. Entries close Friday May 31
8. Chit chat/comments/reps allowed - this is supposed to be fun - we all like to show off.
9. PM me if you have a suggestion/rule modification/something I forgot so as not to clutter up the post
10. Have at it!

MS

Entries:
VOTING IN PROGRESS: 1st=(3pts), 2nd=(2pts), 3rd=(1pt); SEE POST 49
Numbers after = sign equal votes 1 is 1st, etc. I'll add them up at the end.

1. majspud#1: 1917 M1911 Colt rig = 1/1/1/
2. NinerMaine#1: 1917 Hungarian M12 Stop
3. majspud#2: 1944 cyq P38 rig = 2
4. Marcus5Aurelius: M30 Mauser Broomhandle in 9mm
5. USMA82: MAC 1950 = 2/3/
6. mclina: Star Model B
7. Martin08: Nazi marked French M17 Unique 7.65 rig = 2/
8. majspud#3: 1943 Nazi marked Belgian M22 Browning rig = 2/
9. MJ1: MAB
10. JuergenG: T17 C96 Shansi Mauser Broomhandle in .45acp = 3/3/2
11. Youradolt: Spanish Ruby
12. warwicken: AC45 P38, mismatch
13. majspud#4: 1941 Sauer 38H Eagle C Police Vet bring back rig
14. majspud#5: 1939 M35 Air Force Beretta Vet bring back with papers = 1/
15. majspud#6: 1937 Walther PP RVF
16. 45Collector: 1916 H&R self-loading 7.65 (licensed Webley) = 1/1
17. mx259man: 1920 M08 Colt in .380 = 2/
18. mx259man#2: '44 Remington Rand 1911A1
19. mx259man#3: Inglis Hi-Power
20. ColdDayInHell: Nazi proofed Browning hi-Power = 3/3
21. Bawannabuck: Argentine mod 1927-.45 acp
22. mx259man#4: 1931 Colt Woodsman in .22lr
23. bawannabuck: Argentine mod 1927-.45 acp
24. MJ1: Early Colt Woodsman (.22lr?)
25. NinerMaine#2: Astra Model 1916 "Hope" model in 6.35 mm
26. Patron: SIG M49/210
27. NinerMaine#3: Dreyse 1908 in .25
28. Marcus99: Argentinian Steyr-Mannlicher M1905 = 3/

Last edited:
MajSpud Entry #1

1917 M1911 Colt .45. All original save for WWII "G" dated Colt replacement barrel and the slide is of a slightly later date; 1918-1919. Colt records show the pistol as delivered to the Springfield Arsenal on August 29, 1917. Pistol and the two WWII mags cost $700 (one blank, the other Check-Mate Industries of Wyandach, New York). I later added a correct Type IV Colt two tone mag $40, Sears Saddlery 1942 Holster $50, and B&B Inc. 1942 pouch $30; total rig: $820. Purchased 1/21/13.

MS

Last edited:
Can we define Milsurp. I can think of two types. One is officially adopted my a military and so marked such as your 1911. Another could be not adopted by a military but widely known to have been been bought privately and used by officers such as a Beretta 418. Would both be acceptable?

Country of Origin: Hungary
Manufacturer: Fegyvergyar (FEG)
Model: Stop (Model 1012)
Calibre: 7.65 Browning (32 ACP)
Date Made: c1917
Markings: Hungarian Military Acceptance Stamp
Price Paid: $180
Comments: Funny looking pistol!

View attachment 65591

1917 M1911 Colt .45. All original save for WWII "G" dated Colt replacement barrel and the slide is of a slightly later date; 1918-1919. Colt records show the pistol as delivered to the Springfield Arsenal on August 29, 1917. Pistol and the two WWII mags cost $700 (one blank, the other Check-Mate Industries of Wyandach, New York). I later added a two tone mag $40, Sears Saddlery 1942 Holster $50, and B&B Inc. 1942 pouch $30; total rig: $820. Purchased 21.1.13.

MS
Gonna be tough to beat this 1911.

Can we define Milsurp. I can think of two types. One is officially adopted my a military and so marked such as your 1911. Another could be not adopted by a military but widely known to have been been bought privately and used by officers such as a Beretta 418. Would both be acceptable?

That's a great and valid exception. We can be a little loose so more can play!

MS

Last edited:
That's a great and valid exception. We can be a little loose so more can play!

MS

I don't have any c&r/mil surp pistols so i doesn't matter to me but I dont think it should be limited to "military" use at all. The whole point is to encourage participation, so lets see what people have!

MajSpud Entry #2

CYQ (Metallwarenfabrik Spreewerke, Grottau, Northern Bohemia) P38 rig, dating to February of 1944. Pistol is in excellent 98% condition, all matching (1506m), excellent bore, superb grips, two correct ‘jvd’ P38 marked magazines (Erste Nordbohmische Metallwarenfabrik, Niedereinsiedel, Czechoslovakia), and a soft shell holster marked ‘P38’ and ‘jwa 44’ (Moritz Stecher, Lederwerk, Freiburg) in like new condition. Took three months to save up for this one; as I am type collecting and was only going to have one, I wanted it to be a great one. Cost $1000; arrived 3/25/13.

MS

Last edited:
Model 1930 Broomhandle Mauser

Model: Model 1930 Broomhandle Mauser
Caliber: 7.63mm re-barreled to 9mm luger
Price: $200

This past February I found this deal and I just couldn't pass up. I haven't been able to find much info on the broomhandle, but I'm hoping that someone can give me some good info on the piece. The bluing has turned completely to patina, but everything seems to function perfectly. I was told that the previous owner rebarreled it in 9mm luger and has shot it at the range many times, but the barrel still says 7.63mm on it and I plan to keep it in the safe anyway. [smile] The serial # is pretty hard to track the gun's origins, but it is in the 830XXX range. The side is stamped with a mauser logo and waffenfabrik mauser on the other side.

P5041462.jpg

P5041460.jpg

Last edited:
This is a model 1930, the latest variant of the C-96 besides the "Schnellfeuer".
Make sure to slug the barrel before feeding her anything.
I've seen a broom in .30 Mauser eating 9mm Luger ammo - it took 5 rounds before the barrel bulged visibly and then she was done [angry]

My Holy Grail - MAC 1950
One of 1000 known to exist in the United States.

The Pistolet Automatique Modèle 1950 (also known as MAC 1950, MAS 50) had been developed circa 1950 by Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne (MAS) in France to replace the previous series of French pistols, the Modèle 1935A & Modèle 1935S.

These pistols were manufactured by MAS and also by Manufacture d'Armes de Chatellerault (MAC), until circa 1970. MAC was the most proficient builder of the pistol with around 222,000 pieces made from 1953 to 1963 using the prefix letters A to W by batches of 9999.

The fabrication was transferred to MAS in 1963 where around 120,000 pieces were made until 1978 using double prefix letters FG (99999) and FH (20,000).

It had been adopted by French Army as a standard sidearm in 1950. These pistols are recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistols that use Browning M1911 style locking with the barrel lowered and raised by a swinging underbarrel link and locking into the slide via internal ribs of the slide and on the top side of the barrel.

They have single action triggers with a slide mounted safety, which locks the firing pin, so the hammer can be lowered by pressing the trigger with the safety engaged. They have fixed sights and a single-stack magazine which holds 9 rounds.

These pistols were used in following conflicts: First Indochina War, Algerian War, Suez Crisis, Chad conflicts, Gulf War and as recently as Afghanistan.

Mine is a "B-series" MAC 50, so manufacture was probably sometime between 1954 and 1955. The gun is parkerized, and the barrel is left "in the white." According to a local "old gun expert" it is in about 95% condition. The bore is a little pitted, but the lands are sharp.

Outside of a few hundred that were imported to the U.S. around 1960, the rest have come primarily via bringbacks by VietNam vets. It's estimated that there are currently less than 1000 in the United States. France never exported them, and there are very few on the open market.

Over the past few years I've searched for an example on all the auction sites, and anyplace else I could look. The half-dozen or so that I've seen have all sold for over $1000. Imagine my surprise when I snagged this one for half that much!

For those of you who want to throw out the usual "fired once and then dropped" comments, all I can say is - Tell it to the Foreign Legion.

Last edited:
It's not as interesting as anything posted thus far, but it's the only thing I've got that fits the criteria. My Star Model B:

As a rifle collector, I don't have much to offer. But one of a very short run of Nazi marked and all French designed Unique Model 17's did make its way into the collection last June, for $400. Of course, no import marks, and accompanied by a Veteran signed holster.

Vigorous research will reveal fewer than ten examples known in the U.S. Many thousands of the Kriegsmodell exposed hammer German design Model 17's will be found, but this particular French design with the Nazi marks is quite rare.

Nazi_Unique_001.JPG

Nazi_Unique_003.JPG

Nazi_Unique_007.JPG

Nazi_Unique_019.JPG

As a rifle collector, I don't have much to offer. But one of a very short run of Nazi marked and all French designed Unique Model 17's did make its way into the collection last June, for $400. Of course, no import marks, and accompanied by a Veteran signed holster.

Vigorous research will reveal fewer than ten examples known in the U.S. Many thousands of the Kriegsmodell exposed hammer German design Model 17's will be found, but this particular French design with the Nazi marks is quite rare.

Nazi_Unique_001.JPG

Nazi_Unique_003.JPG

Nazi_Unique_007.JPG

Nazi_Unique_019.JPG

Wow, Didn't think this was going to be your month!

MajSpud Entry #3

Belgian Browning M1922, 7.65mm. This is the heart of my pistol collection; German made or German occupied production of 7.65 mm pistols. Traded my import Eagle C police/Volkspolitzi marked Sauer 38H and got a couple of boxes of 7.65 along with it. The Germans took over production in mid '40, continuing with the current serial numbers; 196K serial near the end of the six digit serials 210K before the Germans started renumbering with the a-block in May of '43, dating this pistol to about March of '43. All matching, perfect bore, not import marked, but original walnut grips were sanded. For the life of me, I couldn't find an original set of walnut grips, but found a set of original plastic grips from Poland for $90. The Germans began using Walnut in mid-42 when the supply of plastic grips became irregular. Found an original holster from Romania for $80 - these are are special holsters as the M22 has a long barrel with the extension for disassembly. I got a second period magazine for $30 (neither are WaA140 proofed - they go for $100 plus). Lightning struck in February when I found an original set of wood grips in the States for $80, so I'm into the pistol for $200 with holster, magazine, and two sets of grips. The plastic grips fit the best and shoot the best; the sanded grips are too narrow to shoot easily with the rear strap safety. Acquired 11/17/12.

Fun coincidence, the new set of wood grips both have the #3 inside - March?

MS

Last edited:
MilSurp of the Month; May '13 - Semi-Auto pistols

Only time ill get to play with you guys for a bit.

natu6etu.jpg

9etury6a.jpg

9ymupuju.jpg

From what I was able to find out from some NESer.
It's most Likely a gi assembled and traded around . My grandfather was in the pacific as marine and some how got his hands on it before he came back.

The mag has p38 v u stamped on one side .

Don't know what it's worth but means alot to me since its one of the few things I have from my grand farther that passed before I was born .

Last edited:
MajSpud Entry #4

Sauer and Son, 38H (hammerless) 7.65mm semi-automatic pistol. WWII veteran bring back from Belgium, original full rig. Purchased from the Vet’s relative (name of Graves, later posted as MIA in Korea so no capture papers). Near perfect bluing, all matching, serial number 308360. Eagle N commercial proof and Eagle C police proof. Serial number makes this a police ‘sub variation 1’ with checkered mag release, and dates to October/November 1941. Grips are in great shape, bore is bright and shiny. Magazines are both early types with SS logo and 7.65, unnumbered, and with some corrosion on the floor plates. Original holster with Nazi proof; retaining loop is missing its end. I even-traded my restored RC '43 bnz SSZZA4 for it. Acquired 11/2/12

MS

Last edited:
MajSpud Entry #5

Well, I'll keep this going. Noxin hit a home run with me; I focused almost exclusively on pistols the last year with 6. This is my big show month, then I will be out of the majority of the following sessions.

M1935 Beretta, 7.65mm. Serial number 436904, dating to 1939. Finish is about 75%; bore is now fair with roughness in center - I started with rust flakes and really worked on it. Grips are excellent, and the pistol has its original capture papers from WWII, indicating the pistol was taken in North Africa. Pistol was Air Force issue; there is a mostly buffed out Eagle proof in the usual location. Original German style holster is present, but the spare magazine pouch has been removed. Pistol does have two magazines; the original is unmarked. I purchased a second one which happens to have a Finnish Army property mark ‘SA’ (Suomen Armeija) on the toe for $40. Finland purchased 7,000 pistols from Italy in its war against Russia in 1939-1940. Pistol, original magazine and papers cost $500; acquired 6/6/12.

MS

Forgot to mention, this is my carry piece. The finger extensions make it very comfortable. Only one mis-feed in 200+ rounds, and that due to a junk magazine I got for parts.

Last edited:
MajSpud Entry #6 and Last

While I've the time and no HW to grade tonight I'll post the last pistol - it just slipped in under the wire, acquired 5/14/12. Now I can sit back and watch the post grow while I figure out how to do a poll-post again.

Walther PP (Pistol Polizei model 1929), 7.65mm, manufactured by Walther at Zella Mahlis, Thüringen. Serial number 972138 dates this all matching piece to mid-year 1937 (967400-977300; 9900 pieces). Non-import with pre-war Crown N commercial proofs. Excellent bore, with about 90% original finish remaining. Front strap is marked R.F.V. 9624 W, showing use by the Reichs Finanz Verwaltung (Reichs Finance Ministry). I sold a $10 U.S. Gold piece to fund this ($800); I figured a quality, desirable pistol would be a better investment. Once I pay off my Luger, I'd like to rig this one with a correct finger-tip extension magazine and early holster. This one is a flawless and superb shooter - never a misfire or a jam so far. Target is from 40 feet with a box of Fiochhi.

Unconfirmed, is that a bunch of RVF pistols around this time frame were transferred to arm the SS early on. The Jan Still forum is looking for the documentation.

MS

My most recent C&R pistol. H&R .32 self-loading pistol. Made around 1916 I believe. These were made under license from Webley of England. The Webleys had exposed hammers while the H&R is striker-fired. Other than that they are very similar. There were around 34,000 of these guns made, making them quite a bit rarer than other popular .32 auto pistols of the early 1900's. Compare that to the 570,000 or so Colt pocket hammerless models produced, and the 234,000 or so Savage model 1907's produced, it's apparent this little Brit-copied gun was a commercial failure. In fact many years after production of this gun had ceased, Harrington & Richardson's catalog still had NIB guns in their inventory. Even though the guns were very well made, accurate and reliable, they never gained the popularity of their competition. I saw this rare specimen on the C&R table of a gun shop a few months ago and had to have it. It was made in Worcester!

20130223_113736.jpg

We're up to 16 pistols so far; I'm keeping track of the user name and pistol at the bottom of the first post. I'm thinking instead of a poll, people PM me their first, second, and third place choices and I'll add up the score like the MLB hall of fame - first place vote = 3 points, second place = 2 points, third place = 1 point. You all will have to trust me with the math.[smile]

Keep 'em coming.

MS

Back
Top Bottom