MilSurp of the Month; July '13 - Shotguns!

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Per request.

Rules:

1. Shotguns only this month
2. Must meet the criteria of a C&R (1963 or earlier) or MilSurp or reproduction thereof
3. No acquisition time limit but a limit of three guns per person:
4. Up to three pictures per entry with brief information; cost, significance, etc.
5. If multiple entries, please put in title (go advanced) "Entry #2", etc.
6. Entries close Sunday July 28; voting ends Wednesday July 31.
7. Chit chat/comments/reps allowed - this is supposed to be fun - we all like to show off

Entry #1. 40 Caliber: c.1887 Baker shotgun: 3 = 1
Entry #2. TFLeader: Savage 720 US Marked Aerial Training Shotgun: 3/1 = 4
Entry #3. warwickben: Early 1957 Remington sportsman 58 Remington semi auto 12g 2 1/2 shells.: 1/ = 3
Entry #4. JuergenG: Ca. 1898 Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 16 ga BP: 2/1/2 = 5
Entry #5. **DRB**: 1960 Browning Superposed Broadway Lightning Trap model
Entry #6. alohadoug: Remington Model 11 made 1924-25: 3/2 - 3
Entry #7.
Entry #8.
Entry #9.
Entry #10

Last edited:
I don't own a shotgun, but did qualify with a Remington 870 pump when I was a Federal LE in '92-'93.

Looking forward to an original WWI era 'trench broom' with M17 bayonet, if someone's got one.

MS

I have two old shotguns more than 50 years old but no military related. One of them is my first gun. :) I will have to dig it out and get pics taken. I do not think I have ever taken pictures of it.

Baker shotgun. - does not make the Milsurp category but definately makes the C&R category

This has been in the family for years. I bought it from my uncle for $100. It was my grandfather's (who was born in 1899 and lived until 1987). We believe this gun goes back to my great grandfather. I collect Milsurps and know nothing about shotguns.

What I do know is that is it a Damascus Barrel, the 6542 serial number means it was built in or before 1887. The gun matches the barrel as well as the spare barrel. It is a complete set. My mother realizes now that she sold the original carrying case for the gun and both barrel at a yard sale (sob!).

I don't know what it is really worth but it does not really matter it is worth more in sentiment, I agree the condition here is not that good.
I remember as a kid my grandfather keeping this behind the door loaded. I am glad to have it. I do look for an original Baker buttplate at gunshows as I will remove this rubber atrociity my grandpa added. Hey he was a farmer. Not a lot of money, and anything he had had to be functional. He was an amazing guy and a dying breed. i could do an entire post on him.

IMG_2974_zps044c9165.jpg

IMG_2973_zpsa4980bd7.jpg

IMG_2970_zps2b9c0b0e.jpg

IMG_2968_zps0ee52897.jpg

IMG_2967_zpse54b0854.jpg

IMG_2975_zps044b3bfc.jpg

IMG_2977_zps008caab1.jpg

IMG_2978_zpsb32d7b4e.jpg

IMG_2979_zpsf33f08a2.jpg

IMG_2981_zpsb0d17cdb.jpg

Last edited:
Tom,

What do I enter it as? You said 'Baker' in the last paragraph. Caliber?

Also 3 pic rule[grin]

T

Ah, I see the first word in the post is Baker.[slap]

Last edited:
Savage 720 US Marked Aerial Training Shotgun

Savage 720, US Marked, 12ga, manufactured 1944 for aerial training. Four asterisks on the 26" barrel indicate trainer (no choke).

SavageA1.jpg

SavageB.jpg

SavageC.jpg

Attachments

• SavageA.jpg
    SavageA.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
za5u8eda.jpg

amy5eruv.jpg

yjyju5yt.jpg

Early 1957 Remington sportsman 58 Remington semi auto 12g 2 1/2 shells.
My grand mother bought it new for my grandfather .

Remington's first gas operated, autoloading shotgun without the Browning-type recoiling action. It's based on a 870. I've read that your able to drill gas ports in 870 barrels and make them work with the gun. You have to be careful with the gas setting . If you have it set wrong it blows the barrel nut/gas bleed right off .

Love this shotgun .
I don't shoot it much cause I'm worried of bumping it into some thing lol. But it has as much kick as my mosberg 500 .

Also no milsurp, but she fits the C&R category easily.

Ca. 1898 Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 16 ga BP.
It's the first hammerless model w/ sidelocks built by Sauer, model no. unknown due to the loss of the factory's
records in WWII. She once belonged to someone with the initials K.A., which is engraved into a monogram plate
on the underside of the butt stock. Sorry, no better pics of her.

One of my favorite firearms....

No Mil Surp here, but she does bear the name of many Mil Surp Icons. Early this year when ammo was short I decided to search out a trap gun and try out some clay games. After a short search I found the perfect match, both a C&R and a trap icon.

What we have here is a 1960 Browning Superposed Broadway Lightning Trap model. Massive 32" barrels, Supper Smooth Superposed action and of course a "made in Belgium" product. She was spared the "Salt Wood" by 2 year, so no rust or pitting to be found anywhere. Unfortunately she did belong to a trap shooter who shot her a lot along with cutting down the stock for a competition adjustable butt pad. Even with all that she still locks up as tight as any of the brand new brownings she was next to on the rack. I had considered refinishing the wood, but its such a "comfortable" gun to the eye.... scratches and dings and a little high edge wear of the bluing, like your favorite pair of jeans or shoes. True, all "collector" value is long gone, but I could never afford it if it was a true collectible and in turn I NEVER expect to see another one for as little as I paid for this one. ( just barely more expensive than a remington 870 express )

My first 4 rounds of 25 clays with her went as follows 18. 19,19 ( at the 21 yard line ) and 23. Yes, those where my 1st 4 rounds of trap ever.

DSCN1361_zpse3bf110e.jpg

DSCN1359_zpsa83a62d1.jpg

DSCN1358_zps68027aa7.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite firearms....

No Mil Surp here, but she does bear the name of many Mil Surp Icons. Early this year when ammo was short I decided to search out a trap gun and try out some clay games. After a short search I found the perfect match, both a C&R and a trap icon.

What we have here is a 1960 Browning Superposed Broadway Lightning Trap model. Massive 32" barrels, Supper Smooth Superposed action and of course a "made in Belgium" product. She was spared the "Salt Wood" years by 2 year, so no rust or pitting to be found anywhere. Unfortunately she did belong to a trap shooter who shot her a lot along with cutting down the stock but a competition adjustable butt pad. Even with all that she still locks up as tight as any of the brand new brownings she was next to on the rack. I had considered refinishing the wood, but its such a "comfortable" gun to the eye.... scratches and dings and a little high edge wear of the bluing, like your favorite pair of jeans or shoes. True, all "collector" value is long gone, but I could never afford it if it was a true collectible and in turn I NEVER expect to see another one for as little as I paid for this one.

My first 4 rounds of 25 clays with her went as follows 18. 19,19 ( at the 21 yard line ) and 23. Yes, those where my 1st 4 rounds of trap ever.

DSCN1361_zpse3bf110e.jpg

DSCN1359_zpsa83a62d1.jpg

DSCN1358_zps68027aa7.jpg

Brownings wear in not out. with proper care you would be hard pressed to wear that thing out before your great grand kids want to shoot it. You sure they cut the stock down ? What is the pattern there under the recoil pad ? Looks more like a extension ?

Brownings wear in not out. with proper care you would be hard pressed to wear that thing out before your great grand kids want to shoot it. You sure they cut the stock down ? What is the pattern there under the recoil pad ? Looks more like a extension ?

Positive. It's a Morgan adjustable pad and the stock has been cut about 3" to accommodate it. The only plus side it it could possibly fit me better. I couldn't not have been more lucky with this one

Ok. Mine's a C&R. Remington Model 11 made 1924-25. Mine has the safety inside the trigger guard. In 1925 Remington switched to a cross-bolt safety. Originally it has a 26" barrel. I had it shortened to 18.5" I was planning on shortening the barrel further and shortening the buttstock, turning it into a Clyde Barrow special. Eventually with the money for a tax stamp and moving out of this place. B&K in Natick has a fabulous selection of old shotguns.
Before the shortening:

After:

Goes with my Colt 1903 in .32ACP from 1927. Going to be shooting both this weekend at the American Zoot Shoot Association shoot at Copicut.

Aloha

Voting starts at midnight Sunday/Monday and closes midnight Wednesday/Thursday.

Please vote by post in thread, or by PM. I will tally votes in real time in post 1.

Please use the official "Entry #" as listed in post #1.

COPY and add your 1st, 2nd, 3rd place votes. 1st place = 3 points, 2nd = 2, and 3rd = 1.

1st place: Entry #
2nd place: Entry #
3rd place: Entry #

MS

MilSurp of the month for August will be Antiques. No special requirements (rifle, shot gun, hand gin) save the piece is original and the original gun/serial number/frame/receiver was manufactured on or before 1896.

MS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom