MilSurp of the Month; August '13 - Antiques

Joslyn 1864?

Okay guys, this is not a gun from the war I like to collect from, but I was at my father's house today helping him clean out a closet and I stumbled upon his gun cabinet (he used to collect/reenact before having kids). I looked at a couple of his civil war carbines and this one in particular caught my eye. I don't know much about civil war carbines and he was in a rush to finish up the job we were doing so I snapped these pictures and figured I'd submit it to the forum as my antique this month.

From the markings it looks like a Joslyn M1864 (that's what it said on the right side of the gun).
From my wikipedia'ing I think this was one of the first mass-produced breech loading carbines? I think there was about 16,500 made between 62-64, but that is based on my quick google searching so if anyone knows more facts please feel free to correct me.

IMG_20130819_140006.jpg
IMG_20130819_140109.jpg
IMG_20130819_140146.jpg
IMG_20130819_140240.jpg

This has been sitting in his cabinet with no TLC like I love to give to my collection, now that I know where they are I will try to visit once a week and clean them up a little... I know that metal is screaming for help!

Yes, first mass produced breech loading carbine.

More from Wikipedia: with a date of 1864, this would be a M1862 using a either the Spencer .56-52 cartridge or a .54 caliber cartridge made by Joslyn. This is a cavalry carbine with the saddle ring and slide; there was also a rifle length version. A quick search showed an auction price of $1400.

T

I.G. 71 Danzig 1876

I.G. 71 made at the Royal Prussian Rifle Factory Danzig.
Not the nicest one and it has the been-there/done-that look, but it's all matching and it's mine[wink]
Unfortunately the unit mark it hardly legible. The few I can read point to the "2. Pommersches Ulanen-
regiment Nr. 9", based in Demmin, Pomerania.
During WW I the Regiment was located in Belgium, fought on the Northern border of the 1st Army in France
and retreated from the Marne in November of 1914. Then it was mostly assigned to guard duties on the Eastern
front, being transferred back to the Western front only at the end of June of 1918, fighting in heavy defensive
battles.
Shown with it are a SG 71, a Patrone 71 and Platzpatrone 71.

Last edited:
I.G. 71/84 Spandau 1888

Shown is my very late I.G. 71/84 made at the Prussian Arsenal in Spandau 1988.
It does not bear a unit mark, as it likely went straight into the reserve while the Gew. 88 came into service.
It is all matching and v.g. condition, except a bit of patina/old grease on the receiver.
Shown with it are a SG 71/84, a Patrone 71 and a Platzpatrone 71.
Up until now I've seen only one in better condition and I'm very happy to say that the one is owned within
the ranks of NES. You know, who you are[wink]

Closing in 5 days. We've gotten a good response on this topic - 14 so far. I know there are a bunch more out there.

T

Here's my one and only antique. It's a Swedish 1887 Nagant Revolver. Not sure of exact year, maybe someone might be able to give some insight on that?

At some point in it's life it was converted to .30 Luger, not exactly sure when/where/how/why. The collector I purchased it from said he'd owned it for decades, but never learned much about the revolver.

I assume It was an early conversion, but seems very odd that it be converted considering the pressure difference between the .30 Luger and 7.5mm round.
Here's information regarding numbers, letters, & words on the revolver.

Frame: Brevet Nagant 1827, A, P with a star above it, and what appears to be an H with a crest above it..

Barrel: 1827, R with a crest above it, P with a star above it.

Crane/ejector rod: 1827

GEDC2380.jpg GEDC2386.jpg GEDC2383.jpg GEDC2387.jpg

Last day for submissions! Voting can start after midnight.

Please use this template: with the entry number from post #1. You can post it directly in the thread, or PM me.

1st place: Entry #
2nd place: Entry #
3rd place: Entry #

T

Last edited:
Last day for submissions! Voting can start after midnight.

Please use this template: with the entry number from post #1. You can post it directly in the thread, or PM me.

T

1st place: Entry #10
2nd place: Entry #15
3rd place: Entry # 4

Thanks to everyone for sharing some of your finer items from your collections.It wasn't easy making my picks I liked all of them. We are lucky here on NES to have such a great group of folks with some really rare and historic firearms. Thanks to T for putting this on. Great job!!!!

And the votes are in:

FIRST: Entry #14. JuergenG - Danzig 1876 M1871 I.G. (3-1-1 =7 points)

SECOND: Entry #6. TFLeader(#2) - M1798 Eli Whitney contract musket in .69 cal.; double conversion, carbine length (1-1 =6 points)

A TIE FOR THIRD; each with a first place vote:

Entry #10. Martin08(#2) - 1893 Chatellerault built M91; WWI German Capture 'Deutschland' marked (1-3- =4)

AND

Entry #13. WWII_Collector - 1864 M1862 Joslyn breech loading carbine (3-1 =4)

Thanks to all for playing. I think that's two straight for Juergen.

Wow, thanks!
BTW, the unit mark is likely Saxon, but these are a mystery to decipher. I'm having a friend and subject matter expert
looking into it but he's bouncing back from rubber walls whenever he thinks he's getting close.

Stay tuned for the September entry, that's going to be a very special one.

Bummer, can't believe I missed this thread.

Unfortunately, my US Krag was built about 4 months into 1899 and this is disqualled. My Trapdoor would have been my only eligable entry.

This would have been my vote, however:
Model 1896 US Army Krag rifle.

Chambered in 30-40 Krag, this rifle saw action in the Spanish American War and I believe was factory refurbished like many other Model 1896's. The stock has a "P" stamp but not the inspector's stamp, which is a hint this might have been. Another hint is that it sports a 1902 rear site and corresponding front post. I can easily shoot 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with Lyman #311299 cast bullet and 17 gr Alliant 2400.

Very smooth action. If you ever have the opportunity to shoot one, please do so!

Edit: oops! Got over-zealous with the photos. The lighting outside was perfect for pictures! Reduced the count to four.

tusabegu.jpg

u2ubu8y3.jpg

9epebe2y.jpg

Spawn of Nodda Duma provided for scale:

ma8ujyme.jpg

And the votes are in:

FIRST: Entry #14. JuergenG - Danzig 1876 M1871 I.G. (3-1-1 =7 points)

SECOND: Entry #6. TFLeader(#2) - M1798 Eli Whitney contract musket in .69 cal.; double conversion, carbine length (1-1 =6 points)

A TIE FOR THIRD; each with a first place vote:

Entry #10. Martin08(#2) - 1893 Chatellerault built M91; WWI German Capture 'Deutschland' marked (1-3- =4)

AND

Entry #13. WWII_Collector - 1864 M1862 Joslyn breech loading carbine (3-1 =4)

Thanks to all for playing. I think that's two straight for Juergen.
RECALL RECALL , no over seas entry's[wink]. Only kidding Great job everybody and a special congrats to Juergen. A very beautiful example. Martin I am glad our beloved Mosin Nagant models made it into the top 3. WWII _Collector now I have to hunt for one of those carbines. beautiful, simply beautiful. Congratulations to all.
Obie, ya got my vote, simply beautiful Krag!!!

Last edited:
That Krag is beautiful, Ben!

The pics above were noddaduma's Krag...

This is mine...

I picked up this near mint 1898 Krag yesterday. Boy, did I score. This thing is beautiful. And luckily, if a store carries .30-40 Krag, they still have some left.

My US Infantry collection is also pretty much complete, with a rifle representing every major centerfire rifle generation: 1873 Trapdoor, M1903 Springfield Mark I, M1917 Eddystone, M1 Garand (HRA and SA), Springfield M1A, and an AR. I could use an 03A3 for good measure, but hey, I'm just going to bask with this beauty for a while.

In closing, a plug and shoutout to the guys at H-S Trading in Auburn where I picked this up. Rich runs a great shop. The price was extremely reasonable, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been to a gun store where they were that inviting. And they have some damn cool antique guns.

View attachment 67556

View attachment 67557

View attachment 67558

View attachment 67559

View attachment 67560

View attachment 67561

View attachment 67562

Back
Top Bottom