• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MidwayUSA $50 rebate + free shipping on Vortex Strikefire Ii

Might be a good deal but I have a hard time dealing with Midway. I probably spent around $1000 with them in the last year. I went to put in an order recently for some bullets, not ammunition, plain old bullets for reloading and they won't ship them to MA even though it is legal for them to do so. I knew they wouldn't ship me ammunition but bullets? Give me a break.

... I went to put in an order recently for some bullets, not ammunition, plain old bullets for reloading and they won't ship them to MA even though it is legal for them to do so. I knew they wouldn't ship me ammunition but bullets? Give me a break.

That is incorrect. Individual components (bullets, brass) are treated just like live ammo in MA as far as shipping goes.

I did not know bullets and casings are treated the same as ammo however, As far as I know and understand it is legal for them to ship ammo and reloading components to MA. I would be required to provide a copy of my LTC.

They choose not to

I did not know bullets and casings are treated the same as ammo however, As far as I know and understand it is legal for them to ship ammo and reloading components to MA. I would be required to provide a copy of my LTC.

They choose not to

The AG is VERY effective and making vendors either fund a major court case; signing a consent decree; or pay a civil fine. Unfortunately, Midway is exercising good business practice.

There is NO exemption in the law that allows one to sell ammo without a "MA license to sell ammo" because the buyer provided a copy of his LTC. The AG's dubious position is that the "sale" takes place where UPS delivers the package, not where the package is tendered to UPS - despite the fact that under FOB terms, title to the property transfers at time of handover to the common carrier.

I know a shop owner who got a load of grief from a customer over a legal transaction he did not want to do because he felt the AG might stretch the law. He offered to do it for the customer if the customer signed an indemnification contract agreeing to pay the shops legal fees if the AG disagreed with what the customer was telling his was "no risk". The customer suddenly decided there was too much risk to sign.

That might be just the thing to replace the Eotech that was on my 9mm ar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... As far as I know and understand it is legal for them to ship ammo and reloading components to MA. I would be required to provide a copy of my LTC.

They choose not to

Incorrect once again. The dealer must be licensed to sell ammo (or components) in the town where the packaged is being shipped to.

Incorrect once again. The dealer must be licensed to sell ammo (or components) in the town where the packaged is being shipped to.

That is indeed the AG's position. However, ALL the dealers at gun shows sell off a SINGLE MA Ammo Dealer's License issued in the town they have a brick & mortar shop! NONE of them get a special license to sell in the town of the gun show just for the show. So that position is pure Bullshit to stop non-MA dealers from getting around it by getting a single MA Ammo Dealer's License in a friendly town (I used to know of one).

And the non-MA gun show dealers selling ammo have no MA Ammo Dealer's License at all and at least to date have not been hassled.

Midway isn't the only one, Sportsmans guide, Cabelas, CheaperThanDirt, etc won't ship ammo components here either because its considered ammo here. Sportsman's guide won't even ship AR parts here! And I mean like a BAD lever or a stock part, not an upper or something. That's ridiculous

Midway isn't the only one, Sportsmans guide, Cabelas, CheaperThanDirt, etc won't ship ammo components here either because its considered ammo here. Sportsman's guide won't even ship AR parts here! And I mean like a BAD lever or a stock part, not an upper or something. That's ridiculous

Sportsmans guide wont even ship a replica colt .45 made out of fu**ing chocolate!!!! I tried to buy a pocket knife, did the age verification thing, I'm 60 yrs old and was still denied!!!!! I called them, and was told they have an agreement with our good girl Maura not to ship ANY age restricted items to Mass.
They're not getting any of my buisness...for anything......

that's beyond insanity

Yup, I recall reading here many years ago that someone tried to order an empty gun case from SG and they denied the sale since it had a gun mfr's name on the empty case. Likewise IIRC they denied an order for a Winchester spotting scope since it had a gun maker's name on the product! They explained that they can not sell anything with a gun mfr's name on it to a MA subject, so even T-shirts are out.

Yes, it is definitely beyond insanity!

Best to ignore that company and refuse to order anything from them, period.

Are you just being a wise guy or are you really that obtuse?

Give me chapter section or title that says it's illegal to ship ammo to mass....

Here is what I found all has to do with sales "with in the commonwealth"
Section 122B. No person shall sell ammunition in the commonwealth unless duly licensed. The chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town, or persons authorized by them, may, after an investigation into the criminal history of the applicant to determine eligibility to be licensed under this section, grant a license to any person, except an alien, a minor, a person who has been adjudicated a youthful offender, as defined in section fifty-two of chapter one hundred and nineteen, including those who have not received an adult sentence or a person who has been convicted of a felony in any state or federal jurisdiction, or of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs, to sell ammunition. Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on. The licensing authority to whom such application is made shall cause one copy of the application to be forwarded to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services, who shall within a reasonable time thereafter advise such authority in writing of any criminal record disqualifying the applicant. The fee for an application for a license to sell ammunition shall be $100, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain $25 of the fee; $50 of the fee shall be deposited into the general fund of the commonwealth; and $25 of the fee shall be deposited in the Firearms Fingerprint Identity Verification Trust Fund. The licensing authority to whom such application is made shall cause one copy of any approved application to be forwarded to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services.

Any lawfully incorporated sporting or shooting club shall, upon application, be licensed to sell or supply ammunition for regulated shooting on their premises, as for skeet, target or trap shooting; provided, however, that such club license shall, in behalf of said club, be issued to and exercised by an officer or duly authorized member of the club who himself possesses a firearm identification card or a license to carry a firearm and who would not be disqualified to receive a license to sell ammunition in his own right. The licensing authority may revoke or suspend a license to sell ammunition for violation of any provision of this chapter.

The secretary of the executive office of public safety may establish such rules and regulations as he may deem necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.

Any person refused a license under this section or once issued a license under this section has had said license suspended or revoked may obtain a judicial review of such refusal, suspension or revocation by filing within thirty days of such refusal, suspension or revocation a petition for review thereof in the district court having jurisdiction in the city or town in which the applicant filed for such license, and a justice of said court, after a hearing, may direct that a license be issued the applicant if satisfied there was no reasonable ground for refusing such license and that the applicant was not prohibited by law from holding the same.

Whoever not being licensed, as hereinbefore provided, sells ammunition within the commonwealth shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years.

What happened was at some point out AG past and present sent out threatening letters saying they will drag vendors in to court and try to charge them for selling ammo to mass residents and try to say they consider any sale as "with in" the commonwealth....
So yes there are some vendors who do not ship as they decided their policy would be to just not ship to a state that might cost them more in legal fees than the actual profit they would make selling to MA residents.

I tried to get my ammunition sales permit. My chief had no problem issuing as long as I had a business zoned address and Ma sales tax ID number.
I asked do I need a FFL dealers license , he said as far as he knows you do not.
I asked what about my home....nope sorry I won't even try for a residential address.

I went into detail with a vendor about the laws and regulations. They apparently received the letter from our AG. After many emails and such and the vendor contacting a attorney....the letter they received was not dated or signed.
So they decided to carry on business as usual and also ship ARs and other gun stuff to licensed dealers here in MA. Sadly they recently sold out and the new owners dropped selling to MA....

Where it gets tricky is where or what state the jurisdiction applies..
In a response from one vendor they acknowledged that they could not find a specific law restricting shipping ammo to MA. What they did not want was to take the chance that MA would drag them into court and then the court decides that yes MA law has jurisdiction and considers sales to MA residents even by email/internet as a in state purchase.? Oh boy what fun...
Interesting enough they did say if you have someone order online on a computer out of state and have it shipped to MA this would make it tough to say the sale was with in MA. As the IP address would show you where not with in the state when buying the ammo....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom