MFL Shooting Alone Policy

That new range sounds awesome. While I have not been to the old range (cost prohibitive since I belong to a more local range), I have been meaning to pony up and dish out some money to fire a FA Thompson M1A1 [smile].

If I remember correctly, the Thompsons have been out of play for about a year, broken Blish Locks.

The new building is mine - (the old Sears Service Center) on Brown Ave.
A new Savage wet trap is ordered,and will handle rifle bullets up to 8,200 FPE at the muzzle. The Air system will be 100% fresh air filtered before it comes into the building (cleaner than the outside air) and filtered before exausting. The lobby will be twice+ the current size. We will also offer lockers for those folks that can't/don't want to keep firearms at home. This room is 800sf and will have a one hour fire rated vault door,temp controlled,and all insured.

We hope to have it open before spring,my January date won't happen.

Total cost is > 1.2m not including the building.
PS: WE WILL HAVE 14 RIFLE Capable lanes - and the existing building will be used for classes and new people training.

All new people will have the firearm rentals delivered to the lane & back,and will have a range employee to get them anything they need to avoid newbs walking around with firearms. More good things to come soon....How about a NES preview before we open the doors??? Jim

Sounds like you've made some very positive changes! Good for you guys!

I'd be up for an NES open house!

I love going to the MFLR, I've been more than a few times. That's great to hear about the new range, I can't wait to try it out. I'd definitely be in for a NES preview!

It will be great to have more supervision on new shooters. I have to admit, the current setup made me really nervous (last time I was there, maybe 1 1/2 years ago?) Nothing blatent, but just careless attitudes with some muzzle directions that sent a shudder down my spine. I'll be sure to check the new range out.

All new people will have the firearm rentals delivered to the lane & back,and will have a range employee to get them anything they need to avoid newbs walking around with firearms. More good things to come soon....How about a NES preview before we open the doors??? Jim

Both sound like excellant ideas.

NES Preview

I will surely plan on a couple open house days for NES, My 800+ Members, & Facebook friends!

The positive changes are due to you folks. I read the likes/dislikes and everything in between. I didn't design the current range,I bought it ten years ago on Dec. 7th 1999. After ten years of hating the current facility,I finally have the chance to tailor one to fit current needs.

The rifle lanes,adding four more lanes,having the capability to add four more down the road, having a training range for new people, are all things that make me feel good enough to sign for the big dollar loan.

Our rental selection will be second to none for Title one, as well as NFA firearms. My lobby will have my current "back room" on display all over the place for people to see some of the coolest machineguns,silencers,destructive devices,SBR's,SBS,AOW's, night vision,thermal imaging etc.

No - my Mini-Gun won't be a rental, heck - I don't even know how it works "Eleven Bravo" types didn't get to play with such toy's 30 years ago [shocked]
Jim

Jim, you might have noticed another thread suggesting an NES Indoors Shoot this Winter. Merge that with your NES preview plans and I think that you'll "hit one out of the park"!

I have one question for you, which will determine if the Mrs. will/won't join me at a preview . . . will you be installing sound-deadening foam on the new range? Rifles on an indoor range really accentuate the noise levels (not to mention some of the toys that NES'rs like to shoot), making it rather unpleasant for some folks. I raise this as just getting out of your car beside AFS in N. Attleboro can be unpleasant with 1 or 2 people shooting rifles inside!!

No - my Mini-Gun won't be a rental, heck - I don't even know how it works "Eleven Bravo" types didn't get to play with such toy's 30 years ago [shocked]
Jim

Apparently there isn't a tech manual or field manual for such a thing...that's a shame. I'm sure the intertubes have the answer somewhere.

Jim, I applaud the range policy, and I give a standing ovation to your new range. It gives me hope that there are people who are willing to make investments (especially of seven figures) in the future of our sport, hobby and passion. Can't wait to see the new place!!!

sadly this is why. . .

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1216194.html

News - Local
Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2009
Man commits suicide at Myrtle Beach area gun range
By Lorena Anderson - [email protected]

A 49-year-old Pamplico man committed suicide in the target-practice area at the Myrtle Beach Indoor Shooting Range just after noon Monday.

Sgt. Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police Department said the man fired some rounds during target practice, then, at 12:05 p.m., shot himself in the chest.

Horry County Police investigate the suicide by gunshot Monday afternoon at the Myrtle Beach Indoor Shooting Range in Myrtle Beach.

He died at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, said Horry County Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard.

Gun-range owner Ted Gragg and Kegler agreed this was the first such incident at an area shooting range they could remember.

Detectives did not release information about the kind of gun used, whether the man was a gun owner or whether he brought his own gun or rented one at the shop. Gragg said he could not say whether the man had ever visited the shop or shooting range before.

Kegler said there were other people in the "shooting lane" when the man turned the gun on himself, but he was not sure if anyone saw the suicide.

Gragg said he did not.

The shooting range at 4857 U.S. 17 Bypass was closed for a few hours while detectives investigated the scene, but Gragg said he planned to re-open late Monday.

Willard said the man's family had been notified and no autopsy was planned.

Gragg said Monday's shooting was "a terrible thing. This time of year, there's always some depression."
Contact reporter LORENA ANDERSON at 444-1722.

Back
Top Bottom