MFL Shooting Alone Policy

ONLY if you are alone AND plan to rent our firearms, you will need to present a certificate showing you have completed a course or have a LTC/CCW, or schedule an appointment with our Instructor for a review of firearm safety and range rules. If you bring a friend with you to the range, these restrictions do not apply.

It's a good policy, but I have one question, how does having a friend coming to the range with you prevent you from getting 2 idiots on the range instead of 1?

I don't know this range but it sounds like it's to deter lone suicidal people from renting a gun.

I went to a gun range in LA while traveling for work alone and was denied rental for being by myself. My MA LTC didn't impress them. They just kept asking me to "come back with a friend' and "you do have friends, right?", LOL. I didn't understand it either at first but did finally catch on to why they were asking!

It's a good policy, but I have one question, how does having a friend coming to the range with you prevent you from getting 2 idiots on the range instead of 1?
It might be geared toward suicide prevention.

Respectfully,
jkelly

SORRY, I got beat by Another David.

This may be related to avoid someone intent on harming themselves. In Florida I believe there have been several folks at a rental range who committed suicide.

That is a guess, BTW.

It doesn't. Their logic probably runs along the lines of thinking that with 2 people there, one of them should realize something is stupid before it happens. That and they don't want to turn away TWO customers! ;)

Honestly though, I went there before I had any safety classes but I still knew all of the rules. I was really shocked when I was able to just rent a gun and when I asked about the Sig I was renting was given a 30 second run-down of where the mag release was so that I could load it and where the safety was. Some of the crazy stories I've heard since from ranges make much more sense when there's really no telling who's in there that knows what.

It's sad but a policy like this is needed. Do a search and you'll find a few stories of people going to a range like this and commiting suicide.

It doesn't, but it minimizes the risk of one idiot shooting himself and having to put on his own bandaid.

Policy

I've had it in effect since September of 2008 after a clown in his 40's walked in and ate a Glock for dinner. His wife was at the Chester "fitting" NH Police department swearing out a complaint against him for molesting his step daughter. Being a business owner in Mass with over 150 employees - he spared the world a lot of trouble and expense (at my expense).

My new range will be able to handle beginners much differently than the current set up here. People with a LTC ,members and others, will be separated from those that are new. New folks will have someone with them at all times. One strike and they're out will still apply.

The range will be nice,safety is and always will be the first item on the list.
More will come when we get closer to opening....Jim

Last edited:
I've had it in effect since September of 2008 after a clown in his 40's walked in and ate a Glock for dinner. His wife was at the Chester "fitting" NH Police department swearing out a complaint against him for molesting is step daughter. Being a business owner in Mass with over 150 employees - he spared the world a lot of trouble and expense (at my expense).

My new range will be able to handle beginners much differently than the current set up here. People with a LTC ,members and others, will be separated from those that are new. New folks will have someone with them at all times. One strike and they're out will still apply.

Wow, thank you for the insight, I'm sorry to hear about that event, I had gone to your site a few times and never noticed that policy I thought it was something new. Glad to hear about the new range setup, I was in a couple weeks ago and talking to the guys in there it sounds like everyone is excited for the new range.

I've had it in effect since September of 2008 after a clown in his 40's walked in and ate a Glock for dinner. His wife was at the Chester "fitting" NH Police department swearing out a complaint against him for molesting is step daughter. Being a business owner in Mass with over 150 employees - he spared the world a lot of trouble and expense (at my expense).

Holy crap! The policy is a great idea.

When's the new range going to open?

It's sad but a policy like this is needed. Do a search and you'll find a few stories of people going to a range like this and commiting suicide.

I think the trend is anyone who has had a rental range in operation for a decade or more probably has had at least one suicide. It's not a matter of if, just when.

-Mike

Holy crap! The policy is a great idea.

When's the new range going to open?

The new building is mine - (the old Sears Service Center) on Brown Ave.
A new Savage wet trap is ordered,and will handle rifle bullets up to 8,200 FPE at the muzzle. The Air system will be 100% fresh air filtered before it comes into the building (cleaner than the outside air) and filtered before exausting. The lobby will be twice+ the current size. We will also offer lockers for those folks that can't/don't want to keep firearms at home. This room is 800sf and will have a one hour fire rated vault door,temp controlled,and all insured.

We hope to have it open before spring,my January date won't happen.

Total cost is > 1.2m not including the building.
PS: WE WILL HAVE 14 RIFLE Capable lanes - and the existing building will be used for classes and new people training.

All new people will have the firearm rentals delivered to the lane & back,and will have a range employee to get them anything they need to avoid newbs walking around with firearms. More good things to come soon....How about a NES preview before we open the doors??? Jim

A new Savage wet trap is ordered,and will handle rifle bullets up to 8,200 FPE at the muzzle. The Air system will be 100% fresh air filtered before it comes into the building (cleaner than the outside air) and filtered before exausting. The lobby will be twice+ the current size. We will also offer lockers for those folks that can't/don't want to keep firearms at home. This room is 800sf and will have a one hour fire rated vault door,temp controlled,and all insured.

PS: WE WILL HAVE 14 RIFLE Capable lanes - and the existing building will be used for classes and new people training.

All new people will have the firearm rentals delivered to the lane & back,and will have a range employee to get them anything they need to avoid newbs walking around with firearms. More good things to come soon....How about a NES preview before we open the doors??? Jim

I'd be in, I enjoy coming up to MFL, you guys have been the only shop in NH I've made purchases since I moved here.

Really? I somehow missed that, the two times I went (Dec '08 and Jan '09). Although, both times I had the clerk show me how to operate the handgun I rented; and the first time he accompanied me to the line.

I guess if I go again I'll bring company.

Question: Since NH CCW permit requires no course(s), does it still count?

An NES preview sounds like a great idea! I just wish you were much closer to where I am. I went to MFL for some ammo recently but unforunatly will not be able to make trips up there to use the range on any regular basis. Jim it sounds like the range will offer people the opportunity to shoot just about anything they own and that is great.

I'd be all over an NES preview. Never been to MFLR but always wanted to check it out

It's nice, I like to go there with friends who are visiting/are competent shooters/don't have their own guns with them/can rent them there.

MFLR- are there going to be any ammunition restrictions (such as must be frangible, lead free, or purchased there)? I know .223 and .308 must be purchased there/frangible currently (90% sure anyway).

That new range sounds awesome. While I have not been to the old range (cost prohibitive since I belong to a more local range), I have been meaning to pony up and dish out some money to fire a FA Thompson M1A1 [smile].

Friggin' awesome.

Excellent, its nice to see a business of this type expanding and doing well.

Thank Obama, Its propably the single thing he has done worthy of mentioning....besides his Peace Prize of course hahahahahaa.

8,200 FPS? [shocked]

Wow, that'll handle EC's handloads! [laugh2]

Pretty sure Jim means Foot-pounds energy - FPE. So it's maxing out at about the .600 Nitro Express . [shocked]

Finally, an indoor range to sight in your .460 Weatherby Magnum. [rofl]

Seriously, though, that is simply awesome.

MFLR- are there going to be any ammunition restrictions (such as must be frangible, lead free, or purchased there)? I know .223 and .308 must be purchased there/frangible currently (90% sure anyway).

Judging from some PMs I've bounced off him, the new range will handle .308 ball. He apparently has quite a bit stored up for folks to get that M60 rockin' and rollin' [smile]

Back
Top Bottom