• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mfgr and demo day at HRO Salem NH Saturday

My uncle and I dropped in a little after 1 today. He seemed disappointed with the turnout of the vendors (I was hoping to talk to the representatives from Kenwood, but the guys at HRO answered my questions. I won one of the prizes, but since my phone hasn't run tonight, guess I didn't win the big prize. :)

If I had seen your post earlier, I would have let you know who I was and kept an eye out. I overheard a few conversations that made me think they might be fellow NES, but wasn't sure how to intro myself.

I went there for the NESMC meeting primarily. Our amateur group primarily uses converted commercial gear, so there was little to interest us in the way of hammy radio gear. The Samlex Power rep was showing some decent equipment though. I tried to talk to the Icom rep about iDAS/Nexedge radio equipment and he looked at me with an utterly clueless look!! So, I didn't get any information on upcoming Icom iDAS equipment. Any repeater trustee's who failed to make the NESMC meeting missed some significant votes. Changes have been made to the 900 and 1200 MHZ band plans, there are director openings now in three New England states and changes have been proposed on 2-meters that may effect simplex users just below 146.52.

I meet up with Jim/Boston and grabbed some freebies and we purchased some things. I would agree that the demo tables could have been presented differently. I would have also liked to see a larger inventory on sale to entice the customer. Jim/Boston went to purchase a very popular Yaesu and they did not even have that in stock. Oh well, overall it was a great day to get out.

I was pretty surprised myself that I came home with my 500.00 still in my pocket BUT N1LHP called me on 440 last night and he had a Motorola GM300 for me for 30 bucks; so I now have a 50w 440 radio in my car (I installed it today) I tried it and solidly hit the N Andover 440 repeater from Salisbury...I can still use the Baofeng on 2m..good times with good people. I had a good time at HRO but I'm looking foreward to the next hamfest...wherever it may be.

Mfgr and demo day at HRO Salem NH Saturday

I am going early..anyone gonna join me? Starts at 10am.

I went to one of these once many years ago. Complete waste of time.

I tried to talk to the Icom rep about iDAS/Nexedge radio equipment and he looked at me with an utterly clueless look!!

Not surprised.
These alleged "Factory Reps" are just empty suits from their marketing department with ZERO working knowledge of the products.
The one time I went, I asked the Kenwood rep why they made it so hard to find extra mic cords for the MC-85 desk mic.
He had no clue what I was talking about.
For those unfamiliar, the MC-85 is a desk mic capable of running up to three different radios by selector buttons on the face.
The mic NIB only comes with one cord. To run additional radios, you need to get additional mic cords that plug into expansion slots in the mic.
However, the HRO/AES catalogs don't list the cords by themselves, so you have to deal with Kenwood Parts directly to get them, that's provided you know the secret part number to ask for. [rolleyes]
I finally located them, but it was a huge hassle.
Why do they advertise a three-radio mic and make it so hard to get the additional cords so you can actually run three radios with it ??

Back
Top Bottom