• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Memorial Weekend in DC - PIC HEAVY!!! SLOW INTERNET GO AWAY

s4mt3k

NES Member
So the fiancee and I flew down to DC Friday and returned home this morning. I can't think of a better way to have spent this weekend. Of course, our time was very limited and we couldn't do everything we wanted to do but we got to see:

- White House
- Lincoln / Washington / Vietnam / WW2 memorials
- Air & Space, American History Museum
- Arlington Cemetery (including Changing of the guard @ the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, & taking down a flag for the night).

We obviously need to make another trip to hit the rest of the major places but I'm glad we were able to make this weekend happen.

I took many photos (450+) and I did not edit any of them. I just simply don't have the time. A lot of the pictures I took in the American History museum were in very low lighting and the items were behind thick plexiglass. This meant I couldn't use flash and had no tripod. Quality isn't the greatest but here goes anyway.

I'm only posting the pics that I think you guys will enjoy including a bunch of old guns.

I can't thank enough the men and women who have served, are currently serving, or who died, and sacrificed to make it all possible for the rest of us. Thank you...

Memorial2010010.jpg

Memorial2010044.jpg

Memorial2010049.jpg

Memorial2010054.jpg

Memorial2010073.jpg

Memorial2010074.jpg

Memorial2010078.jpg

Memorial2010088.jpg

Memorial2010103.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get to see the parade? There's a group call the F-BodyHideout that takes their Camaros and Trans Ams through the parade. I did the '07 parade and we gave rides to a bunch of former 101st soldiers.

Did you get to see the parade? There's a group call the F-BodyHideout that takes their Camaros and Trans Ams through the parade. I did the '07 parade and we gave rides to a bunch of former 101st soldiers.

I did not :( ever since I came back I've realized I've missed out on numerous cool things.... that sounds like a really cool parade! got pix??

I did not :( ever since I came back I've realized I've missed out on numerous cool things.... that sounds like a really cool parade! got pix??

Let me see if I can't find some on their website.

From this year's parade:

2332577580104032702S600x600Q85.jpg

Can't find any pics from the 2007 ride on the website but I prolly have some on an old laptop somewhere.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can't find some on their website.

From this year's parade:

2332577580104032702S600x600Q85.jpg

Can't find any pics from the 2007 ride on the website but I prolly have some on an old laptop somewhere.

oh that's nice, must be pretty loud rolling by! I did see some of the Rolling Thunder bikers (not the main parade but big groups of them) and it was pretty intense. so loud.

Nice pics! It looks like you had a great time. How did you get around in town?

I have never been to DC and we are going the end of the month for a week. Our son is transferring PCS to Germany so we get to stay on Bowling AFB in their guest quarters for the duration. Not bad and only $39 a night. Seeing your pics is getting me revved up to go.

Nice pics! It looks like you had a great time. How did you get around in town?

I have never been to DC and we are going the end of the month for a week. Our son is transferring PCS to Germany so we get to stay on Bowling AFB in their guest quarters for the duration. Not bad and only $39 a night. Seeing your pics is getting me revved up to go.

The metro is probably the best I've used (2nd to Tokyo's which i thought was awesome). It is very easy to use. I was lucky enough to be able to stay right in downtown (used my Hilton points for a 3 free nights, I travel for work). Once you're downtown McPherson stop for the white house, Smithonian stop for the National mall, monuments, Arlington Cemetery stop for the National Cemetery... it's very well laid out and very reasonably priced (day pass for $8.30 or weekend pass if you're staying all weekend long).

How long are you guys staying?

How long are you guys staying?

We'll be there a week. Having never been there I'll never see it all but I can try. It sounds like there's alot to do without spending a ton of money. Thought we may hit some of the Smithsonian places while we were there also. We're off to the left coast of FL for a week after that and then on to Orlando for another week. Should be a good time.

We'll be there a week. Having never been there I'll never see it all but I can try. It sounds like there's alot to do without spending a ton of money. Thought we may hit some of the Smithsonian places while we were there also. We're off to the left coast of FL for a week after that and then on to Orlando for another week. Should be a good time.

Definitely will be, everything we did was free except for an IMAX show @ the Air & Space about Hubble (in 3D). Almost $20 for 2, I thought it was worth it. We mostly spent money on dinners, since we were saving money on other things but if you go back towards the base things will be much cheaper in that area (I think anyway). Right in downtown dinner averaged $75. If I may make a suggestion, try to go to the much larger Air & Space near Dulles instead of the one at the National Mall. We didn't and my friend showed me pix he took there and it looks MUCH better. Also we didn't get to the see the Holocaust Museum but I guess that's really good to see (somewhat depressing but good).

Thanks for all the great info! I have the IMAX on our list too. It will be nice actually seeing all these places first hand instead of through media outlets. I have been through your pics several times and must say that was quite a trip. Can't thank you enouph for all the tips! I'll be sure to let you know how we make out.

oh that's nice, must be pretty loud rolling by! I did see some of the Rolling Thunder bikers (not the main parade but big groups of them) and it was pretty intense. so loud.

In '07 we had a guy in an '02 SS with a 408 and a dump over the rear axle that was by far the loudest, but yea overall it's pretty intense.

Back
Top Bottom