Medicines?

What do you do for meds?

I personally take nothing regularly, but some do.

How long do the usual OTC drugs last? Aspirin,Aleeve,Tylenol.

How about anti-biotics? Ointments (like bacitracin)

This is one of my biggest concerns and least knowledgable areas.

So-2 years after TSHTF, all that stuff will be useless? I know it all has a shelf life, I know for a fact it ain't the stamped date either. Anyone know a resource????

I think this is some pretty critical info.

I'm no expert, but can offer the following:

- MANY years ago we used to be able to get Rx's filled in "quantity 100" so the pharmacy label was pasted over the factory label (inside seal not broken). The dates on the bottles were for a NUMBER of years out (I recall seeing some as much as 5 years).

- Once we had to buy in EXACTLY 30 (or mail-order 90) day quantities I noticed that ALL expiration dates suddenly were 1 Year out from date of Rx being filled (and you never saw the factory label again).

Reality is that storage conditions have a tremendous impact on usability of a drug. And once we take possession of the Rx, nobody can predict how hot/humid the environment will be that it is stored in, will it be stored in bright sunlight on an open shelf or in a closet, etc. Drugs that must be refrigerated will be a major problem as their life-span without power is next to nil.

If TSHTF and all you have is all you have, pills with 50% efficacy beats the hell out of no pills at all! Don't expect the gov't to be there to help you out either.

Probably be a good idea to pick up some info on natural cures. There are lots of plants and herbs out there that can sure common ailments like diarreah, headache, etc.

The only thing I wouldn't take that was severely out of date would be antibiotics and by "severely" I mean two years past the expiration printed on the prescription (if it was properly stored).

As far as OTC stuff like Advil, Aspirin, Naproxen Sodium, or prescription narcotic pain meds, I would take them anytime no matter how old. Like Len said, half strength potency is better than nothing when supply capability is gone.

I've taken aspirin that I've had stored under constant conditions for over ten years and it worked just fine with no adverse effects.

Disclaimer: None of this post is to be considered medical advice, its just my opinion and experience. See your own physician for medical advice.

The great thing about TEOTWAWKI is that I won't need my Ritalin. No more office jobs!

+1

I think that the only reason that my blood pressure is ever high is because I have to restrain myself from taking out some people who desperately need it. [wink] TEOTWAWKI would take care of a lot of that particular health problem.

Ken

i would imageine if you place meds under vaccum and eliminate moisture and radiation (heat,UV,etc) that those dates would increase exponentially for most if not all of them.

Back
Top Bottom