Meanwhile, in Mexico...

They're taking on the Knights Templar cartel.

I'll bet their rivals/enemies are thrilled that some rag-tag vigilantes/militia types are helping them eliminate the competition.

According to Wikipedia, Los Zetas are one of their adversaries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Zetas

It wouldn't surprise me if Los Zetas was supplying the weapons to these particular "fuerzas autodefensas".

Yeah, I'm definitely hoping they're the good guys just protecting themselves and fighting the good fight, but as I said, I'm not the most knowledgeable as to what goes on down there beyond generalities. My area of familiarity is with Afghanistan and Chechnya, where the slew of militias and armed tribal bands are often just as parasitic as whoever they're fighting. These sorts of cases are a symptom of (among other things) an governance/administration vacuum that's filled by insurgents/cartels/criminals/etc; generally speaking that's not a problem we have in the U.S. so it doesn't provoke the same response. I tend to believe that if sufficiently threatened a good many people will step up and defend themselves. There are of course caveats and exceptions, but broadly speaking the comfortable do not rebel.

TLDR: Good on them for standing up for themselves, hope it works out.
yea to clarify I wasn't stating the lack of people doing for themselves in the US as a lack of force but more a lack of desire to better ones self. It has come down to more of a let someone carry my weight for me environment. I know it could be a situation like Syria where it is the "good" rebels and the "bad" guys and really who the hell really knows who is good(and really is there a side who is good). With all the killing and mass graves popping up with decapitated bodies it is good to see some people willing to die on their feet on their own terms, if that is truly what they are doing.

As the vigilante's are the only organized group in Mexico than can control the Cartels, the Mexican government is coming to its senses and legalizing the activity. Amazing what good people can do when the government doesn't interfere with them when they defend themselves from evil.

But armed citizens can't possibly be a positive force in society...

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-legalize-vigilantes-fighting-drug-cartel-040406200.html

As the vigilante's are the only organized group in Mexico than can control the Cartels, the Mexican government is coming to its senses and legalizing the activity. Amazing what good people can do when the government doesn't interfere with them when they defend themselves from evil.

But armed citizens can't possibly be a positive force in society...

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-legalize-vigilantes-fighting-drug-cartel-040406200.html

Nice necklace :)
f94982bd4eabb912530f6a70670010e9.jpg

Last edited:
Like. [thumbsup]

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Fortunately, gang members shoot each other in the YS more often than they shoot others. They call it a tragedy in the cities but I call it Urban Renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else shocked (SHOCKED!) that you have to go to Al Jazeera and the Daily Mail for news of these militia events?

Oh well, at least I got to see (soon to be cut) Michael Sam kiss his boyfriend, after all that's much more important.

Anyone else shocked (SHOCKED!) that you have to go to Al Jazeera and the Daily Mail for news of these militia events?

I'm always wary of an negative, alterior motive on the part of the media, especially AJ. After all, if AJ was at all on the side of the "Vigiliantes" (the negative-sounding term is not lost me either), they'd have encouraged these people to wear masks is conceal their identity before filming them.

That said, +1 for good on them (the neighborhood defenders, that is)!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...ment-deadline-join-arrested-article-1.1787500

529649568.jpg

Estanislao Beltran, left, aka ‘Papa Smurf,’ gets a new uniform and an AR-15 assault rifle from Alfredo Castillo, the government’s special security envoy to Michoacan state.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...join-arrested-article-1.1787500#ixzz31W028bNH

Vigilantes were give assault weapons and new blue uniforms in western Mexico on Saturday, which was the deadline for militia members to join the police or face arrest.
Self-defensive groups have been on the rise since last year, arming themselves for war against murderous drug cartels terrorizing entire towns and regions.
Farmers formed long lines at a cattle ranch in Tepalcatepec to receive fresh blue uniforms and AR-15s as new members of regional police in the agriculturally rich state of Michoacan, where the vicious Knights Templar run a vast network of human and narcotics trafficking and widespread extortion of villagers and small businesses.
"With this we become legal," said bearded vigilante leader Estanislao Beltran, whose nickname is "Papa Smurf."
As he slipped on his uniform, he proclaimed "We are part of the government," Agence France-Press reported.
Estanislao Beltran, aka ‘Papa Smurf,’ leader of an armed militia, dons new uniform of regional police on Saturday in Mexico’s embattled Michoacan state.
RONALDO SCHEMIDT/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
Estanislao Beltran, aka ‘Papa Smurf,’ leader of an armed militia, dons new uniform of regional police on Saturday in Mexico’s embattled Michoacan state.
The federal government had grudgingly tolerated militia members, who said they were forced to defend themselves against cartel thugs because local, state and federal law enforcement agencies were either on the take from cartels or afraid to confront their henchmen.
After getting their guns and garments, the new rural police officers sang the national anthem and were sworn in en masse.
But the vigilante movement is also rife with infighting and allegations of corruption.
Dr. Jose Mireles, a high-profile vigilante leader and spokesman for its efforts, has been dismissed by a vigilante council, accused of making unauthorized statements.
`With this we become legal,’ announces militia leader Estanislao Beltran on Saturday, the deadline for Mexico’s vigilantes to join regional police forces or face arrest.`With this we become legal,’ announces militia leader Estanislao Beltran on Saturday, the deadline for Mexico’s vigilantes to join regional police forces or face arrest.PreviousNext`With this we become legal,’ announces militia leader Estanislao Beltran on Saturday, the deadline for Mexico’s vigilantes to join regional police forces or face arrest. Vigilante Estanislao Beltran, right, aka ‘Papa Smurf’ is congratulated by Alfredo Castillo, the government’s security envoy to Michoacan state, as he becomes new member of regional police. Enlarge
RONALDO SCHEMIDT/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
His colleague, Hipolitio Mora, was arrested in March and accused of arranging the murders of two militia members, charges that he denies.
The civilian fighters have also been accused of being fronts for cartel leaders of being infiltrated by criminals.
Federal authorities announced earlier this year vigilantes had until Saturday to register their weapons and join rural police forces, or face arrest.
More than 3,300 militia members have signed up, according to the government, out of an estimated 20,000.
RELATED STORIES
JAN. 16, 2014 FILE PHOTO
Mexico legalizes vigilantes, arrests top drug lord
JAN. 16, 2014 PHOTO
Legal Mexican vigilantes will fail: source
EXCLUSIVE PHOTO: A “selfie” from a Knights Templar member who goes by the name of “Broly” and boasts online that he is an assassin. His ‘selfie’ catches a kidnap victim blindfolded in the back seat.
Mexican drug cartel thugs post atrocities on social media

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...join-arrested-article-1.1787500#ixzz31W0C5UZt

The article does not mention where that AR15 came from, but probably left over from the warehouse full they sent over from the ATF Fast and Furious program?? Unless it's a real M4?

Last edited:
If they could only get their ultra corrupt .mil under control they could go in with that and the militia's.

Beyond lost.

I find it pretty amusing/pathetic that the govt at first couldn't/wouldn't do anything. Then, after the people said screw it and started to take care of things themselves, the govt came in and tried to put their mark on everything. "Good news everyone - we're from the government and we're here to help you by registering your guns!"

Worst case scenario - the govt is in league with the rival cartel and will move to squash the citizens (militia) once they run out the other cartel.
Best case scenario - this is just a case of the govt saying "Hey guys - we're here, we're still relevant! Don't forget that you still need us! Right?"

And they to will get greedy and start yet another drug cartel......round and round it will go.

Opinions may vary!

Based on what? Do you think there's something inherent to everyone or just Mexicans that would mean they'll become immoral now that they have the means to be so?

Based on what? Do you think there's something inherent to everyone or just Mexicans that would mean they'll become immoral now that they have the means to be so?

Most gangs got their start as neighborhood protection. Then they started taking advantage...

I would like to see the proof behind that, I think most gangs got their start organizing drug sales/distribution and the need to protect "turf"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once that crooked gubberment starts registering who these people are they are screwed. That list will go direct to the cartels!

Most gangs got their start as neighborhood protection. Then they started taking advantage...

Name one gang in this country that started as "neighborhood protection" (requiring pay for protection or they break your knees doesn't count).

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see the proof behind that, I think most gangs got their start organizing drug sales/distribution and the need to protect "turf"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom