Mass premium charge for AR pistols?

allen-1

NES Member
Saw an ad this morning for a DDM4 PDW, and clicked on it out of curiosity. I know the engineer at Daniel Defense that designed it; he lived in my neighborhood and belongs to my gun club. I've been in his garage, and saw the prototype and then the brochure before it was released.

Ad here has it listed for 3400, Daniel Defense currently lists it for 2073 - but it's out of stock.

Live inventory from gundeals shows:
1633095330222.png

Is there something I'm missing that makes this gun worth 3400 in Massachusetts?

Just out of curiosity, is it even possible to make a DDM4 PDW compliant, MA-legal?
daniel_defense_pdw_cobalt_cerakote_right_profile.jpg

That ad also says "Pictures: see below" and has no pictures at all [laugh].

I didn't think AR pistols were permitted in MA for the plebs, due to the weight rules or whatever.

Saw an ad this morning for a DDM4 PDW, and clicked on it out of curiosity. I know the engineer at Daniel Defense that designed it; he lived in my neighborhood and belongs to my gun club. I've been in his garage, and saw the prototype and then the brochure before it was released.

Ad here has it listed for 3400, Daniel Defense currently lists it for 2073 - but it's out of stock.

View attachment 528313

no lol, it’s just someone playing cosby rape games

eta:

View: https://youtu.be/eXdNcKF_n4U

That ad also says "Pictures: see below" and has no pictures at all [laugh].
I didn't think AR pistols were permitted in MA for the plebs, due to the weight rules or whatever.
Too bad, I wanted to see what a DDM4 looks like after you remove 46% of the total mass (to get it under the 50 oz magic number)

The ad is for south shore MA so likely someone who does not even know they have an assault weapon in their safe... That someone in MA is advertising it all is surprising.

Fixed mag is the only solution to sell as a pistol though a dealer has to break it apart since it is not on the roster. The other way for an inmate of MA to own this is to SBR it. Once you have the tax stamp and engrave you just have address the AWB features for a rifle which is a lot easier than for a pistol

No, you cannot mangle it to get it under 50oz as a pistol. The language in the AWB is "a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded" so modifications after don't help unless done by a 07 FFL who marks the weapon (engraves business name/location)

FYI, if you buy a rifle, it cannot federally be made a pistol.

Pistols can become rifles, then be reverted to pistols by some very convoluted pathways. But the feds consider a rifle a rifle forever and making it a pistol is a no no. A shortened rifle is always an SBR (I don't think the feds allow rifles to become AOWs?)

Fixed mag rifles are for people not quite ready for the real thing,.. like training wheels,.. when I see one for sale I often wonder if the person came to their senses and realized the sad mistake they made, or if it was too much and they are going back to bolt actions,...

Just out of curiosity, is it even possible to make a DDM4 PDW compliant, MA-legal?
daniel_defense_pdw_cobalt_cerakote_right_profile.jpg
There is no fundamental reason to do an AR pistol in MA with their ridiculous laws. Pay the $200 and do the SBR. Any hurrdurpers worried about registration/confiscation boogeymen can still bury a second SBR in the woods.

View attachment 528313

Great observation!

fixed 10rd mag can have anything
shooting a 300blk from 7" barrel with no suppressor - why? it just looks like a totally senseless gun.
an uzi makes sense - but that thing really doesn`t. nor does the $2k price.

shooting a 300blk from 7" barrel with no suppressor - why? it just looks like a totally senseless gun.

300 blk in a 7" or 8" gun is still usable for something. At least it's not a 7in 5.56, which is retard land all the way around.

300 blk in a 7" or 8" gun is still usable for something. At least it's not a 7in 5.56, which is retard land all the way around.
dunno. looks like shit to me.

View: https://youtu.be/_WxhqyySQhA?t=349

but, hell, if one likes the short stuff, why not. i am still lost on the point of paying $2k for the upper with a 7" pipe on it, but, whatever.

Last edited:
Concealment, maneuverability in structures and laws are the reason to own shorties.

Personally I'm not a big fan of 300blk due to expense to shoot and how uncommon it is. You're way better off building a 45ACP AR pistol than 300blk if you want heavy bullets in a pistol format.

In NH you can have a loaded AR pistol in the vehicle and not get hassled. Where as if you have a loaded rifle, there is a higher potential for police f***ery due to hunting laws especially in this time of year. This is retarded to be clear, but a pistol is not held to same laws.

Storing an AR pistol is easier due to size. You can either split the upper/lower or put a folding stock adapter on. Fits easily in a very small backpack.

Moving in a building/house is better/easier with a shorter gun. AR pistols are perfect for this.

It's an awesome truck gun. In Georgia we can carry one of those in the passenger compartment of our car, loaded. It's a "pistol". Josh stores one of his under a flipped down seat. Flip seat up, grab gun and go. Effectively a short barreled rifle, complete with brace and red dot - but legally it's a pistol. Which means we can cross into Florida and South Carolina for example with them.

I've got a couple 10.5 inch barreled ARs chambered in 5.56. Brace, red dot - and 30 round mags of green tip. Not the most pleasant of guns to shoot, but they're intended for defense not range guns - and if I had to choose between one of them and one of my Glocks in a life threatening situation - I'd go with the AR.

Fixed mag rifles are for people not quite ready for the real thing,.. like training wheels,.. when I see one for sale I often wonder if the person came to their senses and realized the sad mistake they made, or if it was too much and they are going back to bolt actions,...
Yeah the fixed mag stuff is retarded as hell IMO.

Cant you build a f…ff..fix…
I cant say it but cant you build a AR pistol for less than $1k?
Heck for the money those DDs go for might as well hunt down a pre ban AR pistol

Cant you build a f…ff..fix…
I cant say it but cant you build a AR pistol for less than $1k?
Heck for the money those DDs go for might as well hunt down a pre ban AR pistol

Yes. Mine cost me perhaps 6 or 700.

On the other hand, I won a DDM4A1 in a raffle - and it's a VERY nice AR.
I have one other that's comparable, that's a Larue ultimate parts kit on a CMG lower.

Fixed mag AR pistols make sense in MA because it removes a feature.

Well, better than that even, if done right it prevents you from having to ruin the rest of the gun (you can keep all other features) while having a "pull pin, use fire extinguisher" gun ready to go. Some fixed mag lowers are dumb but it's pretty obvious how the better ones can be creatively exploited as a chameleon build. Although at that point, someone who put that much thought into it, most people are already 95% across the bridge.... [laugh]

Pre-94 $3499 option 🤔
Or a pair with consecutive serial numbers?

so at what length is a 5.56 become usable? 10.5‽
10.5 is "usable" (stabilizes and cycles), but still a flamethrower with 5.56

I keep the 10.5 upper around mostly because that's how one of my SBRs was papered, but even before ammo prices went crazy I rarely used 5.56 in a shorty.

Back
Top Bottom