Mass legal gun question

I'm thinking of getting a gun in 40 cal and after doing much research I like what I've heard of the Springfield XD. Now I know it's not on the Mass approved list, but I occasionally see them for sale on the classifieds section. I understand that you can purchase a gun not on the list if it was made before 1994, but can someone explain how it's legal to purchase one that was made later than that. Just trying to follow the laws as absurd as they are.

I'm thinking of getting a gun in 40 cal and after doing much research I like what I've heard of the Springfield XD. Now I know it's not on the Mass approved list, but I occasionally see them for sale on the classifieds section. I understand that you can purchase a gun not on the list if it was made before 1994, but can someone explain how it's legal to purchase one that was made later than that. Just trying to follow the laws as absurd as they are.

In terms of hanguns, the list just apllies to what dealers can sell. You can buy any handgun legally in a face-to-face exchange. The only issue can be the magazines for which all hi-caps need to be pre-ban.

So, basically, buy the next one you see in the classified and enjoy!

Al I mistaken to think that you can only buy firearms privately from within your state, and out of state transactions need to be FFL'd?

Al I mistaken to think that you can only buy firearms privately from within your state, and out of state transactions need to be FFL'd?

You can buy a gun in a private, face-to-face transaction with residents of your state of residence. You can buy a rifle in person from an FFL in any state, provided you follow the laws of both states.

Any out-of-state purchase of a handgun must be transferred through an FFL in your state. As a result, you can't buy a non-compliant handgun from an out-of-state seller and have it transferred through a MA FFL.

Thanks for the info guys. So if I ever have to defend myself from a Badguy having a gun not on the list isn't a problem legally? How do the non-compliant guns get into the state? If someone moves here from out of state are they allowed to transfer their weapons into Mass. I ask all these questions because I know it's my responsibility to know the laws (as blatantly unconstitutional as they are).

Thanks for the info guys. So if I ever have to defend myself from a Badguy having a gun not on the list isn't a problem legally?

Worry about that when the time comes.

How do the non-compliant guns get into the state?

Why does this matter ?

If someone moves here from out of state are they allowed to transfer their weapons into Mass.

Yes.

I ask all these questions because I know it's my responsibility to know the laws (as blatantly unconstitutional as they are).

You are thinking too much.[wink]

As long as you buy a handgun IN STATE and fill out the proper forms,you are not breaking any laws.

Are you from the DA's office ?

Thanks for the info guys. So if I ever have to defend myself from a Badguy having a gun not on the list isn't a problem legally?
There is certainly no statutory issue with using a gun that is on the list.

How do the non-compliant guns get into the state?
Private citizens who live in other states and own such guns already, move into MA and then sell them privately.

If someone moves here from out of state are they allowed to transfer their weapons into Mass.
No transfer required. They just move in, bring their guns with them, get their LTC and they are good to go. No registration required and no laws broken.

The laws and the AG's regulations govern what a dealer can sell, not what you can possess nor what a private individual can sell. Read the AG's regulations here:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoter...t&f=government_Regulations_940CMR16&csid=Cago

For example:
16.04: Sale of Handguns Made From Inferior Materials
It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any make and model of handgun that...

Similar language exists in the MA laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 XD40's that I bought while on active duty, stationed in CA. They are legal and I could sell them here since I am a MA resident. Problem is, I like them too much to sell [wink].

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. So if I ever have to defend myself from a Badguy having a gun not on the list isn't a problem legally? How do the non-compliant guns get into the state? If someone moves here from out of state are they allowed to transfer their weapons into Mass. I ask all these questions because I know it's my responsibility to know the laws (as blatantly unconstitutional as they are).

No worries about liability issued and non-compliant guns.

These pistols get into the State from 1.) people moving in (yes, once they are residents they can sell 4 firearms a year just like everyone) 2.) cops 3.) FFLs that don't care about the regs

Sadly, sooner or later FTF sales will probably be banned [sad]

Here is an example, I live in NH and buy a brand new HK45 then for some reason completely beyond me I move to MA and sell FTF my HK45 to Greg for $2358.

Greg,

No I'm not in the DA's office, just trying to educate myself. Sorry if asking questions bothers you so.

I don't think he meant any offense. While these questions come up a lot, the laws are very confusing. Plus you are a new Green guy, so IMHO, people should cut you a ton of slack on that alone. Ask away

I love my xDs, but theyre a pain in the bum to get here in MA. I'm actually selling one (see members classifieds), but I plan "branching out" my xD family, get rid of a .40 and find a .45! Just don't ask how they appear [wink]

Back
Top Bottom