Mass Firearms safetly course for LTC?

Hi All!
I recently received my State certification to teach the basic safety course for LTC applicants. I'm going to be teaching my first class in mid May. I have a question as the docs are a bit vague on this subject.... Along with the Mass Law items that they send you with your credentials, What do most folks teach for the course? I'm looking at a mixture of the NRA First steps, and Basic Pistol courses. I feel that should give the students a well rounded class.
I'm certified in Pistol, Rifle, and RSO, along with my state credentials. or should the course be ore geared towards the NRA Home firearm safety offering?

thanks all!
Mike B

Hi All!
I recently received my State certification to teach the basic safety course for LTC applicants. I'm going to be teaching my first class in mid May. I have a question as the docs are a bit vague on this subject.... Along with the Mass Law items that they send you with your credentials, What do most folks teach for the course? I'm looking at a mixture of the NRA First steps, and Basic Pistol courses. I feel that should give the students a well rounded class.
I'm certified in Pistol, Rifle, and RSO, along with my state credentials. or should the course be ore geared towards the NRA Home firearm safety offering?

thanks all!
Mike B

The state has a list of approved courses. If you're issuing a Mass certificate you have to teach one of those courses. There's really no mixing and matching to what you think is a well rounded class.

Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course List Updated

At the place where I do it, we do the NRA Basic Pistol, and only add a section on Mass Laws (as required by the State), after clearly stating that we are deviating from the NRA materials, and why.

We use a handout, and about 45 minutes of powerpoint, with a bit of Q&A for the Laws.

Stay on script, teach what the state requires.

[.

Last edited:
The state has a list of approved courses. If you're issuing a Mass certificate you have to teach one of those courses. There's really no mixing and matching to what you think is a well rounded class.

Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course List Updated

Ah-HA! That's the list I needed! I wish the state would have sent that to me along in the envelope with my state certificate... It seems like the state wanted me to guess as to what I am supposed to teach... heck even just a sticky note with that link in it would have been helpful stuck to my cert LOL... All I received was a single piece of paper with chapter 140 on it, and my cert....
did they forget to include some other items in there? or are we truly supposed to just 'know" the info that's on that website and how to find it?

thanks!
Mike b

Ah-HA! That's the list I needed! I wish the state would have sent that to me along in the envelope with my state certificate... It seems like the state wanted me to guess as to what I am supposed to teach... heck even just a sticky note with that link in it would have been helpful stuck to my cert LOL... All I received was a single piece of paper with chapter 140 on it, and my cert....
did they forget to include some other items in there? or are we truly supposed to just 'know" the info that's on that website and how to find it?

thanks!
Mike b

You also need to be certified and authorized to teach any course you choose from that list. Many of them are proprietary and protected by copyright. I'd go with NRA Home Firearms Safety if you got the cert for that. That's a 4 hour class. When students are presented the choice of a four hour HFS or eight hour Basic Pistol which do you think they'd choose? Also the curriculum for Basic Pistol flat out sucks and is painful to teach. YMMV....

did you get your certification from the state police? im not sure why you didnt get that list?

they sent me that list, as well as the state verification forms and the state certificates that i can photocopy.

did you get your bfs number?

If you do not care if your student can shoot, give them the short 4 hour out the door course.The basic pistol is one of the best coures to teach if someone is going for thier FID,LTC A OR B.

yes I received my certificate in the mail, and there was one page included with it that has some of chapter 140 on it. I don't recall anything else being in the envelope aside from those two papers. I'll have to check again when I get home, it was a couple months ago that I receive that envelope and it's in my file cabinet at home right now. I do remember that it appeared that there should have been more in the envelope... I'll give the state police a call and see, maybe there was an error and my "packet" was incomplete by mistake... that would certainly explain my "frustration" LOL

I'm certified instructor for Pistol, Rifle, and certified RSO (the mail in exam one)... I'm attending a class (2 hours away YUCK!) to attain my Home firearm safety instructor cert... I think that would be the better class and the one that most folks would assume is the class for the LTC. first class will be Basic Pistol, with some of the FIRST start items to augment.

yah, if there's a mistake made at someone's expense.... that "someone" is usually me :-( sounds like they forgot to include a few items in my packet... I'll call and see if they can send me the rest of the packet...

thanks all!
Mike B

The contact at the MSP is Ina Hoye (Spelling?), and is a very nice, helpful person.

As to the course, you're a big boy (as you have an LTC , and NRC cert) and can make your own choice. My opinion is that Home Firearm Safety is a course for someone that can shoot, and is safe, but just needs their ticket punched, so to speak.

The live fire part of the BP is vital for someone that's never done it.

Just my .02

Found a buddy that is also certified and and asked him to see his packet.... LOL... I only had the "cover sheet" in mine... hehe, no wonder I was so bloody confused :) I photocopied what I was missing, and now I'm not so confused :) I'm sure a few of you were wondering "wtf" too....

Thanks guys! First course will be the BP course... but I'll get my cert for the firearm safety course in a few months too... good to have under my belt for those that just want the quick course to get their LTC

thanks!
Mike B

you would need to teach the mass laws and if you get credit from nra it must be from the stuff

ok I'm confused.

Im certified in basic pistol and home firearm safety. once Im done with the NRA part I need to explain mass law?

do I need specific sources or just explain what I already know. about approved roster ,Ag regs , safe storage etc.

ok I'm confused.

Im certified in basic pistol and home firearm safety. once Im done with the NRA part I need to explain mass law?

do I need specific sources or just explain what I already know. about approved roster ,Ag regs , safe storage etc.

Wiskie, it is confusing.... Damned confusing if you ask me :-( I feel I have a good handle on things now though....

so, two of the approved training courses are "basic pistol" and "home firearms safety" there are others as mentioned... those are the two most common I think....

In order to teach those courses so folks qualify to get their Mass LTC's, you have to be NRA Instructor certified in to teach, AND State certified to teach for the License to Carry in Mass.

Along with the course material, you also must teach the Mass laws to your students. Some folks also go over how to fill out the application with their students and what is required for their specific town or city.
Are you a certified instructor of home firearm safety? Teaching that course tells your students all about safe storage, handling, cleaning, etc of firearms. so along with the NRA 4 hour course that you'll teach, you have to also teach the specific Mass laws. This is outlined in the packet you get with your Mass state certification certificate. You also must give your students a copy of the Mass state certificate of completion that you received with your packet. That certificate is the one that your CLEO will want to receive with their application, that is the important one.
I just wish I had a color copy of that certificate to print copies of and sign for my students... I'm sure it's on the Mass.gov site somewhere, I have a month and a half before I teach my first class so I have time to locate a color copy. If all else fails I'll photoshop the black photocopied one from the packet and make the black lines State Police Blue...

Mike B

- - - Updated - - -

oh, you should give your students a copy of the Mass gun laws too.... so they have it to fall back on...

I hand out the copies of the law that were sent with the state certificate. Would be nice to find something that better explains it to hand out as well though.... I'd rather not spend another $3 per student when I'm sure I can find it on the web to print and hand out.

Buy one and then use the info to make your own. Don't copy it word for word just take the bullet points .

I just became an NRA training counselor this weekend.

I asked about teaching non NRA material during their class

They prefer that you do the ma portion of the class after their lessons are complete.
They want no confusion about what content is theirs and not theirs.

Back
Top Bottom