• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marking Your Magazines

How do you mark / identify your magazines?

• Total voters
I started marking my magazines with my initials. I have seen several people using label makers and applying a stick-on label, but I was wondering what people thought about engraving the magazines, to make a more permanant ID.

I started marking my magazines with my initials. I have seen several people using label makers and applying a stick-on label, but I was wondering what people thought about engraving the magazines, to make a more permanant ID.

Never seen too many people putting their names on mags, but I've seen them # them so they know in witch order they want to use them in.
Are you afraid someone is going to swipe them? If their that lame their going to take them anyway.
Plus: once you engrave them, you own them.

(In other words you can't re sell them as easily) I wouln't want someone elses initials on my mags.

Last edited:
Never seen too many people putting their names on mags, but I've seen them # them so they know in witch order they want to use them in.
Are you afraid someone is going to swipe them? If their that lame their going to take them anyway.
Plus: once you engrave them, you own them.

Mark them like a real man and make a circle of pee around them at the range....LOL

i've marked them in the past with numbers 1 through____ for postols that i own(ed) 3 or more mags for.

I don't mark the pistol mags but all of my speed loaders.
The reason is, that most all shooters at the "dynamic" matches over here seem to shoot
K/L frame Smiths using Safariland Comp. III loaders. Loaders usually fall on the ground
during the reloading process so labelling them saves some guesswork.

Name, number and caliber.

Name - other people shoot SVI and STI guns. Not likely I'd leave a mag on the range after a run, but feces eventuates.

Number - to rotate them evenly and identify troublesome mags.

Caliber - Easy to confuse a .40 with a .45 if you DON'T.

I started marking them when I took a defensive handgun course. Call it "run and gun" but we were shooting and moving and dropping mags. With 9 guys shooting 1911s and many with the same brand of mag, marking saves aggravation wrt who owns what.

With AR mags I really need to mark them. Since they are all pre-bans and have seen serious usage, some 30s were giving me trouble. Only way to isolate troublesome ones from good ones is by markings and writing down the number of the ones that give you trouble.

I have my match mags (Pardini) labelled 1-6, for reliability reasons - although never had a problem yet! (jinx0
Any firearm I use multiple mags for I usually will mark with a number. The pardini are etched, the XDM are labelled with a sharpie.
The MKIII and 10/22 mags with a sharpie, and some have my initials since very easy to get confused during some shoots (plate shoots escpecially)

holy crap! I guess I need to buy more mags! I can honestly say keeping track of all my mags is not an issue[sad2]

I feel your pain DRB same with me! I only own 4 AR mags! Stock Sig 10 rounder for my 556, one preban 20 rd, and two preban 30 rds

For the record I don't mark my mags. One of my preban 30s had some initials on it that I didn't want on there, so I went over the area with jb weld...smoothed it out with a bondo spreader....then refinished the mag with a few sprays of black krylon. Doesn't look perfect but hey...it's a mag, who cares

Off the top of my head (way too lazy to try to count them).
35+ pistol mags
40 + rifle mags

Of course they are not all for a single firearm - for pistols the most I have is 6, for rifles I have almost 20 AR mags (bought 10 PMAGs during the last year/scare)

I may have a problem....

super hi-tech...masking tape and a ballpoint. ID number and for some of them, how many "should" be in there when I cant stuff anymore in.

Label, Name, Caliber using those P-Touch industrial labels. Also engrave a # on the bottom of each to track trouble some mags as well as 2nd ID. When you shoot with guys that have same mags its easy to spot mine:)

Back
Top Bottom