Man killed while trying to rob an AA meeting

A drunk is unfit to carry a gun, an alcoholic is fine. The only exception is if the alcoholic becomes the drunk. Judge not least you be judged. People roam this earth with hidden diseases far worse than alcoholism. Some of those include arrogance, anger, intolerance, hatred. It is not about your "issue" it's about the control you have over it. The problem is that is subjective so the world has put thier own stigma on it to give it a benchmark of "acceptability". Its a crazy and sick world my friends.

"Alcoholism is f***ed up! It's the only disease you can get yelled at for having. 'Damn it Otto, you're an alcoholic!' You never hear anyone saying 'DAMN IT OTTO, You have lupus!'
-Mitch Hedberg

Wait...soo a person who was going to AA was allowed to have a gun permit?
I mean that guy probably did the right thing but anyone see anything wrong with him having a gun permit if he's going to AA, or is it just me? LOL

I think it's you. [wink]

The guy may have had a drinking problem in the past, but that doesn't mean he should have his 2A rights taken away if he's not a criminal.

Last edited:
Wow my 1st NEG rep point!! [party] LOL

Oh yea, who ever gave me the NEG rep point and called me a fool with out signing it, Thanks!!

You're no fool. You just had the terms "alcoholic and drunk" mixed up a little. If you had said "drunks shouldn't be allowed to carry guns (at least while drunk)" you would have gotten less of a reaction from people. Some maybe [laugh], but less.

All I can say for the perp who got shot... It had to be a sobering experience. [smile]

We can always trust in God to bring it down a notch [thinking]

[smile]

A drunk is unfit to carry a gun, an alcoholic is fine. The only exception is if the alcoholic becomes the drunk. Judge not least you be judged. People roam this earth with hidden diseases far worse than alcoholism. Some of those include arrogance, anger, intolerance, hatred. It is not about your "issue" it's about the control you have over it. The problem is that is subjective so the world has put thier own stigma on it to give it a benchmark of "acceptability". Its a crazy and sick world my friends.

"Alcoholism is f***ed up! It's the only disease you can get yelled at for having. 'Damn it Otto, you're an alcoholic!' You never hear anyone saying 'DAMN IT OTTO, You have lupus!'
-Mitch Hedberg

Carry is far different than own. I'm assuming you were specifically talking about carrying. Otherwise, you're dead wrong.

I've known plenty of drunks in my life who were responsible gun owners.

I'll clarify my statement at least.

Someone that is not presently under self control should not presently be carrying a gun.

If you are drunk, drugged, crazed with rage or otherwise unable to control yourself, you should not be carrying. Put it away, let your DD hold onto it, hell, find the nearest cop and ask him to hold your piece while you go on a bender. OK, don't do that.

Except for the drugs, I've been all of the above at one time or another and most of us here have been too.

For further clarity, MA pretty much says you are drunk if you've consumed more than 8 ounces of beer in the past 12 hours. Poppycock. We all know what drunk is.

While the subject has been officially beaten to death, I would just like to add that AA is full of former drunks as well as those actively drinking and recently sober. My dad quit drinking 30 years ago and still goes to AA meetings at his church twice a week. He's almost 80 and still shoots- being a former drunk isn't his problem while shooting, being 1/2 blind is! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom