Man defends himself with gun and gets accused of murder

ridleyman

NES Member

I read an article this month in American Handgunner, by Massad Ayoob, about this guy who was railroaded by the judicial system.​

His gofundme page

"I defended myself with a firearm, Please help!​

Mike Bell is organizing this fundraiser.

Hello everyone, my name is Mike Bell. I am a permanently disabled father of a young son. I have survived 9 brain tumor surgeries and 30 radiation treatments.

In March of 2018, I defended myself with a firearm against someone who physically attacked me in my own home. The attacker knocked me down and repeatedly smashed my head against my tile floor (he almost killed me), and when my elderly mother tried to help me, the attacker started beating her. The only line of defense I had at the time was my firearm, which I used, injuring the attacker and getting him to flee from my home.

I was arrested and charged with First Degree Attempted Murder and spent 2 months in the county jail. I was fortunate to hire attorneys Don Hendry and Kris Parker as my defense team. They were able to get my bail reduced from $250,000 to $100,000, and I was able to bail out of jail with financial help from my mother. Although I was then out of jail, I was still faced with a very serious criminal charge and my need to clear my name.

I moved in with my family, as I could no longer afford to live on my own, and I began my 5 year legal battle during which time I was required to be at the courthouse monthly. I also had to enlist the services of several medical doctors who were experts on my disability, and the services of self-defense expert, Massad “Mas” Ayoob, to help my defense team.

This is a case that has enormous repercussions not only to me, but to gun owners, and their right to defend themselves from an intruder in their own homes. The second amendment and the right to defend oneself are immutable.

I am so thankful that a jury of my peers found me not guilty on all charges!

I have started this GoFundMe campaign to help me recover from the financial hardships caused by all of this over the past 5 years. I just want to get back on my feet financially and be able to take care of both myself and my young son.

I ask for your help. Please donate. It’s also important that we stand up for our right to self-defense.

I am very thankful to you all, and I ask that if you are able to, please pass this on to your family and friends."

His gofundme page

I donated $50.

Gonna go out on a limb here: there must be more to this story than simply what supports any feeling of sympathy for Mr. Bell. To be fair though, DA Bragg initially charged the parking lot attendant for shooting an assailant with the assailant's own gun after having already been shot by him, so maybe Mr. Bell was screwed by BS prosecutors in a similar way.

Gonna go out on a limb here: there must be more to this story than simply what supports any feeling of sympathy for Mr. Bell. To be fair though, DA Bragg initially charged the parking lot attendant for shooting an assailant with the assailant's own gun after having already been shot by him, so maybe Mr. Bell was screwed by BS prosecutors in a similar way.
I agree. It appears he is out of Florida, which obviously has very strong self defense laws. A quick Google search didn’t turn up any news articles related to this shooting.

I'm always hesitant to donate to these things. Same with "won't you help little Timmy get teh life-saving surgery he needs?" And the reason is this: I'd like to hear how the defense team, feeling like this guy got the short end of the stick, has cut their fees by X%. Same with doctors that perform these "life savings surgeries." I mean, I've not seen a doctor on the Foodstampz so far in my life. I think if the family is having trouble, first thing I'd do as the professional is see where I can cut. Then at least when they appeal to the public, they can say, "it's normally $X but my team has generously discounted it to Y." That goes a long way. But I don't wanna be sending $ so that some guy can light cigars with it.

Me thinking this way isn't helping this guy, but I can't help it.

From the Attorney's website. Put three in the guy's back...in Mass he'd have gotten life.

State v. M.B.​

Charges: Attempted First Degree Murder with a Firearm & Domestic Battery (1st Degree Felony)
Situation: Our client was in his home when his soon-to-be ex-wife and her paramour arrived at his home to pick up the child for the ex-wife’s time sharing. The ex and new boyfriend arrived at our client’s home and entered the home to allegedly get some things for the child. The ex-wife and paramour then went through different areas of the home verbally berating our client. Our client stayed calm through the incident until his ex-wife grabbed his cell phone out of his hand. Our client lunged toward his ex and tried to retrieve his phone. At that point, the paramour attacked our client. The client’s mother then kicked the paramour in the groin causing him to release our client. At that point our client was able to escape to his bedroom and retrieve his .45 caliber Glock handgun and return to the room. Upon entering the room, our client fired four shots with three of those going into the paramour’s back. The last shot lodged in the door frame as the paramour was running out of the home.
Outcome: Not Guilty on all counts (one week trial & the jury deliberated for one hour)

I'm always hesitant to donate to these things. Same with "won't you help little Timmy get teh life-saving surgery he needs?" And the reason is this: I'd like to hear how the defense team, feeling like this guy got the short end of the stick, has cut their fees by X%. Same with doctors that perform these "life savings surgeries." I mean, I've not seen a doctor on the Foodstampz so far in my life. I think if the family is having trouble, first thing I'd do as the professional is see where I can cut. Then at least when they appeal to the public, they can say, "it's normally $X but my team has generously discounted it to Y." That goes a long way. But I don't wanna be sending $ so that some guy can light cigars with it.

Me thinking this way isn't helping this guy, but I can't help it.

Well stated. GFM can be a wonderful tool to lend a financial boost to those TRULY in need. It can also be a easy tool for "civil theft" preying on people's compassion and kindness. I ONLY GFM donate for family , friends , or friends of friends where a friend vouches for the legitimacy of the situational need.

From the Attorney's website. Put three in the guy's back...in Mass he'd have gotten life.

State v. M.B.​

Charges: Attempted First Degree Murder with a Firearm & Domestic Battery (1st Degree Felony)
Situation: Our client was in his home when his soon-to-be ex-wife and her paramour arrived at his home to pick up the child for the ex-wife’s time sharing. The ex and new boyfriend arrived at our client’s home and entered the home to allegedly get some things for the child. The ex-wife and paramour then went through different areas of the home verbally berating our client. Our client stayed calm through the incident until his ex-wife grabbed his cell phone out of his hand. Our client lunged toward his ex and tried to retrieve his phone. At that point, the paramour attacked our client. The client’s mother then kicked the paramour in the groin causing him to release our client. At that point our client was able to escape to his bedroom and retrieve his .45 caliber Glock handgun and return to the room. Upon entering the room, our client fired four shots with three of those going into the paramour’s back. The last shot lodged in the door frame as the paramour was running out of the home.
Outcome: Not Guilty on all counts (one week trial & the jury deliberated for one hour)
I think that the bad guy was going after the victim's mother, which is why he shot him. He hit 3 out of 4 shots, but all of them were minor wounds. So, he should have more target practice.

State v. M.B.​

Well lookie here. I think I will refrain from making any donations.

Back
Top Bottom