Making the X95 1 MOA

Fun thought experiment where budget doesn’t really matter - would it be possible to make the X95 Tavor into a precision rifle? Thinking replace barrel, trigger, etc. Has that already been done? Or is there something specific about the X95 that prevents this?

As much as I'd love it to perform that way, the X95 was built from the ground up for CQB, therefore 2-3MOA acceptable. Apparently they're trying to fix that with the Tavor 7. It's been delayed until March 2019 because the barrels were shooting 2MOA, so IWI US sent them all back overseas.

Just imagine how sick a .308 bullpup would be at 1MOA.

anything is possible although an accurized bullpup autoloader is fairly pointless. the tavor excels in manueverability and reliability. when one talks about accuracy then we are talking longer ranges such as 400-600 yards. in such instances one is going to shoot supported usually from a bipod. have you tried shooting a bullpup off a bipod? it's awful. the long stroke piston of the tavor is also unlikely to help with accuracy. geisselle makes the sabra trigger pack which makes the trigger much nicer than stock but still nowhere near an SSA-E or any high quality AR trigger.

there are bullpup bolt actions like the Desert Tech SRS that are designed to do accuracy work. the tavor on the other hand was not designed for such purpose.

As much as I'd love it to perform that way, the X95 was built from the ground up for CQB, therefore 2-3MOA acceptable. Apparently they're trying to fix that with the Tavor 7. It's been delayed until March 2019 because the barrels were shooting 2MOA, so IWI US sent them all back overseas.

Just imagine how sick a .308 bullpup would be at 1MOA.

the Tavor SAR or X95 will group around 1.5 MOA with 69 or 77 gr OTM's. so inside 400 yards the gun will keep the shots on a 6" plate assuming the shooter is doing their part. i consider than impressively accurate for a long stroke piston bullpup.

Thx Brewer! I'm watching your Tavor 7 ETA thread now.

Squib308, I know it's not what it was designed for, that's why I called the idea a fun thought experiment. Like it's fun to watch pumpkin chunkin, I wanted to see if anyone freefloated a 20" JP barrel or something in one for the hell of it.

Btw, where do you see 1.5 MOA? I'm looking at MAC and nutnfancy youtube vids, and typical seems to range from 2-3MOA, was rare to see < 2 MOA.

Squib308, I know it's not what it was designed for, that's why I called the idea a fun thought experiment. Like it's fun to watch pumpkin chunkin, I wanted to see if anyone freefloated a 20" JP barrel or something in one for the hell of it.

Btw, where do you see 1.5 MOA? I'm looking at MAC and nutnfancy youtube vids, and typical seems to range from 2-3MOA, was rare to see < 2 MOA.

so is the question about a thought experiment or an actual rifle build?

as I noted earlier but not sure you're following, shooting a bullpup from a well supported position is not easy. they do not lend themselves to prone-bipod shooting very well. they will easily group under 2 MOA with 69 or 77gr OTM's. keep in mind it's a thin barrel with chrome lining and long stroke piston. what is the expectation of such a barrel? they do not shoot lighter projectiles with much precision but heavier bullets will group nicely.

do you own an X95? if not i suggest acquiring one. it's a phenomenal rifle. with some time behind the trigger this fascination with a long range .223 bullpup will dissolve. it's like turning a nissan GT-R into an off road vehicle.

I think your analogy should be flipped, I find it more Rubicon than ricer, but I agree that this rifle should be on a bucket list of guns fired or owned.

20181117_094334.jpg

I personally think it's a fantastic firearm and fits a very good niche of sub 100 yard typical use the gun was designed for.
Maybe Santa will help the coffers and I'll buy a better optic for it soon but as it is currently it's a hoot to shoot.

Not being familiar with the assembly of a Tavor, is it possible to put a heavier barrel on it, or is there a space limitation?

It would seem to me having a barrel made, assuming space allows, is not that big of a hurdle and it being a bullpup the weight is less of a factor.

Not being familiar with the assembly of a Tavor, is it possible to put a heavier barrel on it, or is there a space limitation?

It would seem to me having a barrel made, assuming space allows, is not that big of a hurdle and it being a bullpup the weight is less of a factor.

tavors use a proprietary barrel with some very cool features although by no means standardized like an AR. these features include a quick barrel detach mechanism that employs a proprietary wrench. the long stroke piston and rail attachment sites are fitted directly to the barrel. basically creating an aftermarket barrel would be no small task.

see photo:
https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-5-56-nato-barrel-bolt-kit-right-hand/

in terms of "accurizing" i'm not sure it woudl beneift from a thicker barrel but rather perhaps one that's melonite rather than chrome lined.

tavors use a proprietary barrel with some very cool features although by no means standardized like an AR. these features include a quick barrel detach mechanism that employs a proprietary wrench. the long stroke piston and rail attachment sites are fitted directly to the barrel. basically creating an aftermarket barrel would be no small task.

see photo:
https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-5-56-nato-barrel-bolt-kit-right-hand/

in terms of "accurizing" i'm not sure it woudl beneift from a thicker barrel but rather perhaps one that's melonite rather than chrome lined.
WTF is that a slight over engineered barrel or what.
I have never seen the assembly in person other than to shoot a few rounds. Although it looks like there is room to beef up the barrel.
IDK if you have money to burn there has to be better guns to play with and toss money at.

Thx for explaining Squib308! Makes a lot of sense. Nope, I don’t own any rifles actually. With 2 in diapers and a busy job, I mostly live vicariously, haha. Someday tho, I will have free time again. If I was in a free state, a casual guy like myself would scratch that itch with a basic AR. But, due to Maura’s edict, I’m curious about bullpups because those are actually available.

Back
Top Bottom