Making .223 bullets from .22 rimfire cases

The Corbin equipment is top notch, and priced accordingly. Most people don't want to spend the time to do the process.

As I recall, this was a hot new idea in the mid-80s, also pushed by Corbin. I seem to recall that it more or less died, as people began experiencing jacket/core separation, which gave rise to a concern about a jacket being left in the bore and causing problems when the next round was fired. I seem to recall the same issue and concern killed the 100-gr .308 Speer "Plinker" half-jackets.

I made 25 cal. bullets in the early 60's using 22 brass. You drove the case through a die to iron out the rim, cut a specific weight piece of lead wire and swaged a soft point bullet. they worked quite well. I still have the die set and some of the bullets. I have many Herter die sets, coils of wire and half jackets for swaging 22,30,35,44, and 45 cal bullets, as well as a wire cutter.
Bullets of that era are not up to current standards. I still have a bunch of Herters.

There was an article about it in a recent issue of SWAT. It stated that you need to make soemthing retarted like 10 to 12 thousand head to see a return on your money, as the equip will cost about $750-800.

I love reloading and all but I will keep buying heads at $150 for 2K

-DM-

My friend has the gear and we did a few years ago. You need to sort the .22 casings as some are better than others. You also need to check the kind of firing pin strike as we found that ones that were deep would tear. We cast the cores in an adjustable mold. It is a lot of work. The results worked but for the time and money buy bullets.

Back
Top Bottom