Maine's equivalent of GOAL?

Thanks... Looks like there's not really anything up that way, at least not posted recently. I've been sending a friend of mine info from NES whenever I see something that could affect his rights in Maine. Figured I'd see if I could find a GOAL type org. for him to check out.

There are 3 pro-gun associations in Maine.

1. The Pine Tree State Rifle and Pistol Association
http://www.mainerpa.org/index.php

2. The Sportsmen’s Alliance of Maine
sportsmansallianceofmaine.org

3. The Maine Gun Owners Association
http://www.mgoa.com/

Number 1 is the official NRA affiliate in the state. Although they have tried in the past to become an effective pro-gun influence in Augusta they are really nothing more than the association that runs the winter postal league. They do some good work with junior programs as well and are the state’s CMP affiliate.

Number 2 is the real pro-gun influence in the state. SAM has the membership, the money, the power and the influence in Maine. They are mainly a pro-hunting and fishing group but work with the NRA on all pro-gun issues in the state.

Number 3 was started a few years back but quickly shot itself in the foot. The gentleman that started it, Jeff Weinstein, is a good NRA instructor in the state. His courses are very good and he also does the Teach the Instructor Course for the NRA. He pushed for a change in the CCW law in Maine to make the required course longer, more involved and tougher to pass. This of course received the backlash it deserved and his credibility as being a pro-gun influence in the state was ruined. I believe he meant well and being an instructor just believed in the product he produced. But the fact that he was pushing a law that would make him more money did not look good. It would have also made it more difficult to get a CCW and of course the anti-gun folks jumped right behind it and saw it as an opportunity to kill CCW eventually. I think Jeff meant well but the bill was killed and no one wanted to join his “pro-gun” group after that. I am not even sure it is still a functioning organization.

SAM is the group to join if you want to support hunting and gun ownership in Maine.

Last edited:
Number 1 is the official NRA affiliate in the state. Although they have tried in the past to become an effective pro-gun influence in Augusta they are really nothing more than the association that runs the winter postal league. They do some good work with junior programs as well and are the state’s CMP affiliate.

I went to the annual meeting a couple of years ago. No one had new business. No new business at all. I was unimpressed. As an organization, I made up my mind that I didn't want to have anything to do with them.

B

It looks like the #2 site samcef.org is no longer working.

I am a goal member but I am looking to move to Maine and looking to join an equivalent group.

They are 10,000 members strong and very active in Augusta. They just changed their web address and this post is old. I just updated their link. I was talking to the director today. They are doing many thing getting ready and prepared for the democrats moves for gun control here in Maine.

Back
Top Bottom