Maine residents raise the issue of need vs. constitutional rights

4/10/10

1270850698_8778.jpg

BANGOR, Maine — The recent squabble over whether concealed firearms belong in Acadia National Park elicited passionate reactions from both sides of the issue, but for Tom Franklin, the debate had a side-effect.

“To insist on the right to carry weapons in Acadia National Park makes all gun owners look a little nuts,” said Franklin, who is president of the board of directors for Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence. “Acadia is the last place people should need a concealed weapon. I like to distance myself from that kind of talk about guns.”

READ MORE

Are you kidding? Parks are a hotbed of crime. States and the Feds spend tons of money just tracking the crime that occurs in parks. Don't believe me? Google "crimes in parks". Arm up!

It's funny how the irrational hoplophobes seem to have a need to tell us about how they're a "lifelong hunter, but...".

That's like saying you've been playing golf for 30 years and that makes you an authority on Constitutional protections against unwarranted search and seizure.

FTA
“I’m concerned about the bad image that gun owners are getting because of extreme claims by other gun owners,” he said. “I see the rights of legitimate gun owners being really jeopardized.”

Anyone who makes a claim that is "extreme" (like saying law abiding citizens should be able to defend themselves in Acadia) is not a legitimate gun owner? Interesting...

Some of the comments at this BDN site are worrisome. I get especially concerned by those who say they are gun owners and shooters but agree with the antis. That makes no sense to me and usually it indicates that some one is lying.

Franklin, a longtime hunter, said he has never had any interest in owning a handgun or obtaining a concealed firearm permit. For him and thousands of other Mainers, firearms are for a form of peaceful outdoor recreation that dates back centuries, not for use against another person.

Thanks for pushing your views and your feelings on the rest of us... what an asshat.

Thanks for pushing your views and your feelings on the rest of us... what an asshat.

Another Fudd whoring out the Second Amendment in the pathetic delusion hunters are somehow "protected" or "special" and will be spared.

The difference between a "hunting rifle" and a "sniper rifle" is nil. The anti-gunners are also anti-hunters.

The flannel shirt squad needs to take up a collection and buy itself a clue.

Back
Top Bottom