Maine gets storage and gunshot reporting laws

Growing up in our house my father had rifles, pistols and shotguns in his closet and we followed Dads storage laws "Touch them and I'll kill you" [rofl]
However all you had to do is ask to see and properly handle any firearms and he would gladly take the time with any of his children.

Privilege and respect are earned

Thanks Dad
Same here. My father had one shot gun. It sat in the corner of closet under the stair and his rule was “Don’t touch it without my permission”! Simple and effective…..no one broke that rule.

There's always abuse, I understand and I know it is abused here. But, with the times we are in now there are a lot of people who just don't care and will not keep firearms away from their children. Yes, years ago when our parents said not to touch them, you didn't touch them. Today's generation just don't care because they're too busy to even tell their kids what not to do.
So, you are ok with this law being abused b/c some people can't parent?

I’m torn on safe storage laws. They actually make sense if you take into account the retardation of the average American. Most of them are not going to do the right thing unless there is a penalty for not doing it.

On the other hand, why is it legal to leave booze and pills laying around unsecured. How about car keys or matches? Why do they draw the line at guns?

I’m torn on safe storage laws. They actually make sense if you take into account the retardation of the average American. Most of them are not going to do the right thing unless there is a penalty for not doing it.

On the other hand, why is it legal to leave booze and pills laying around unsecured. How about car keys or matches? Why do they draw the line at guns?

Not sure if serious, there's nothing to be torn about. Anybody who's stupid enough to leave guns around bad children is also by proxy not going to care about some law that they probably don't even know exists....

That said, in this case because it's narrowly written, pro 2a people fighting it aren't going to get anywhere. The problem is it takes a lot of mental gymnastics explain how it could be abused by authorities, particularly with the requirements set forth in this law.

On the other hand you compare it to the mass. It and it's pretty easy to explain how that's dangerous to even a layperson.

Here's another reason why they make sense. where did these kids get the gun?

Lol are you really that stupid to think that the negligent parents of those kids would care about a safe storage law?

IMHO safe storage laws are the epitome of "feels good, virtue signaling bullshit."

This is the type of thing also likely covered under some laundry basket child endangerment law, which likely exists in most places.

Safe storage just gives antis something to rub one out over. The law itself in this case isn't horrible, but it's the "guns are bad, so we need special lawsz to regulate" them stuff that us horrible. IGWT has a point in part though.... like 5 gallon buckets are dangerous to children too, as well as swimming pools. Does anyone think these fags would stamp a safe storage reg for pools requiring a 100lb rated locking pool cover when its not in use? [rofl] same shit, but not involving scareee special CUZ GUNS logic.

Lol are you really that stupid to think that the negligent parents of those kids would care about a safe storage law?

IMHO safe storage laws are the epitome of "feels good, virtue signaling bullshit."

This is the type of thing also likely covered under some laundry basket child endangerment law, which likely exists in most places.

Safe storage just gives antis something to rub one out over. The law itself in this case isn't horrible, but it's the "guns are bad, so we need special lawsz to regulate" them stuff that us horrible. IGWT has a point in part though.... like 5 gallon buckets are dangerous to children too, as well as swimming pools. Does anyone think these fags would stamp a safe storage reg for pools requiring a 100lb rated locking pool cover when its not in use? [rofl] same shit, but not involving scareee special CUZ GUNS logic.
I get it, and there's probably more dead children from pool "accidents" than firearms "accidents". I'm not a fan of the storage laws in this state at all. I shouldn't have to keep them locked up because I am not "within reach". As you said "negligent parents" and the reason these idiots draw up legislation.

I get it, and there's probably more dead children from pool "accidents" than firearms "accidents". I'm not a fan of the storage laws in this state at all. I shouldn't have to keep them locked up because I am not "within reach". As you said "negligent parents" and the reason these idiots draw up legislation.

The danger to a child if there's a pool is something like 10 100 times the danger if there's a gun in the house. There's lots of hard data on this.

Last edited:
This is just the Dems jerking each-other off again. They love passing the same laws over and over again. That way when we get rid of one set of illegal laws, there are still 2 more just like it waiting in the wings to keep the stupidity going.
Maine already had these kind of laws. My buddy got bit from leaving an unloaded pistol on the kitchen counter.
Long unrelated story as to why the cops were there, but the cops took the pistol and he got a ticket and fine.
Later he got the pistol back.

RC

"The state's first firearm safe storage law makes it a crime if gun owners do not secure loaded weapons in the presence of children under the age of 16."

Honey, where are the kids? I need to store my weapon.

The danger to a child if there's a pool is something like 10 times the danger if there's a gun in the house. There's lots of hard data on this.
From my post on the “should your neighbor know you have a gun” thread:

Freakonomics authors Stephen Dubner and Steve Levitt:

DUBNER: One of the questions that we posed in our first book, in Freakonomics, was simply this, what’s more dangerous, if let’s say you’re the parent of young children, what’s more dangerous, a house with a gun in it, or a house with a swimming pool in the backyard? What’s the answer to that question?

LEVITT: Yeah, the answer to that question is incredibly easy. And the swimming pool is far, far more dangerous than the gun when it comes to young children. So what we did is we looked at the number of child deaths that were due to swimming pools, the number of child deaths that were due to guns, and then we put it in terms of how often will a given swimming pool kill a child versus how often will a particular gun kill a child. And it turns out that the swimming pool is far more lethal than the gun, that a given swimming pool is 100 times more likely to lead to the death of a child than a particular gun is to lead to the death of a child. And so, I know a lot of parents who would say I would never let my child go over to the house of someone who has a gun in the house, but I’ve actually never heard anyone say I will never let my child go over to the house of someone who has a swimming pool, when in fact that’s completely reversed when it comes to the risk that the two products actually have.

"The state's first firearm safe storage law makes it a crime if gun owners do not secure loaded weapons in the presence of children under the age of 16."

Honey, where are the kids? I need to store my weapon.

Two of us picked up on this ?

Back
Top Bottom