Maine DGU

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

An incident from this past April made the June American Rifleman "The Armed Citizen" column.

The Armed Citizen® June 5, 2020

Buxton man held at gunpoint after breaking into home, police say

Officers in Buxton, Maine, arrived at a residence after a woman 911 to say her husband was keeping a man detained at gunpoint.

The 48-year-old suspect broke into the residence on a Saturday afternoon, and an officer at the scene said it appeared the man was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, as he made unusual statements while being taken into custody.

Further investigation found that the 48-year-old suspect had stolen a neighbor's vehicle before breaking into the home. The man also had a handgun, but he dropped it between two vehicles parked next door to the house he entered. The gun was retrieved by local police.

Responding officers commended the homeowner for showing "great restraint and incredible firearms discipline" for keeping the suspect in check without the use of deadly force. The suspect was charged with burglary, criminal mischief, theft by unauthorized taking and refusing to submit to arrest.

This thread started at 8:31 this morning and nobody has yet replied "But taxes are cheaper in New Hampshire".

This thread started at 8:31 this morning and nobody has yet replied "But taxes are cheaper in New Hampshire".

But taxes are cheaper in New Hampshire. [smile]

If desirable to stay in New England upon or slightly before retirement, Maine and New Hampshire are the only states I'll consider. New Hampshire could get the nod because it's so close to stuff I like to do in MA.

How is Maine's Castle Doctrine? Been looking for land up there for some time and I follishly never thought to ask that question.

Title 17-A, §104: Use of force in defense of premises

Here is a blurb from an article on the subject written by a Maine firearms attorney....

"The justifiable use of deadly force, on the other hand, is more complex, and much more limited. It can be used when reasonably necessary to prevent an intruder from committing arson on the property, or from committing a crime while inside your home.

However, under Maine’s law, deadly force cannot be used against someone inside your own home until you’ve given them the opportunity to stop their criminal activity, by demanding they stop what they’re doing, and leave the premises. Using deadly force to defend your home is only justified if the intruder doesn’t immediately comply with your demand. With that said, if you reasonably believe that confronting the intruder would put you or someone else in danger, then demanding that the trespasser stop what they’re doing and leave is not necessary before you use deadly force."

How is Maine's Castle Doctrine? Been looking for land up there for some time and I follishly never thought to ask that question.

If your are in fear for your life, or anybody in your family, guests in your house, then you are going to be safe using deadly force. If you're going to shoot somebody who is just in your house uninvited, you are going to get jammed up by the DA, and rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom