• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine Bill proposes waiting period for gun buyers

D

daveInME

http://www.bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=146812&zoneid=500

Bill proposes waiting period for gun buyers
By The Associated Press
Monday, February 26, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA - Legislators will consider a gun-control bill that would require anyone under 21 to wait 10 days before buying a rifle or shotgun.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Margaret Craven of Lewiston, is similar to one she proposed two years ago that mandated a 10-day waiting period for anyone under 22 wanting to buy a gun.

Craven is sponsoring the bill with the support of Catherine Crowley of Lewiston, whose 18-year-old son killed himself with a newly purchased shotgun in 2004.

Supporters of the bill say a waiting period could cut down on the number of young people who commit suicide using rifles or shotguns, also known as "long guns." Opponents say the bill is well-intentioned but misguided, and that there is no evidence to suggest that waiting periods reduce youth suicides.

The Legislature’s Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee will hold a public hearing on the bill on Monday.

Crowley’s failed effort to get a bill passed two years ago was documented in a film, "There Ought To Be A Law." She thinks the bill’s chances are better this time around given the attention that the film has focused on the issue.

"I’m looking toward the possibility that it will pass," she said. "But I’m prepared to go back [in future years] if it doesn’t."

Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Mainers aged 15 to 24, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services. From 1999 to 2003, 50 percent of the suicides by Mainers aged 10 to 24 involved guns, according to government statistics.

Crowley doesn’t think her son would have killed himself if there had been a waiting period to give him some time to get help or at least think through whatever was haunting him.

Gun shop owners say the bill is a "feel-good" measure that would accomplish little.

"Once people get to that point of despondency," a waiting period may not deter them, said Kim Adams, vice president for shooting sports at the Kittery Trading Post. "I don’t think it would be particularly effective."

George Smith of the Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine said he will suggest that lawmakers reject waiting periods and pass a law instead requiring that anyone 18 or younger get parental consent to buy a long gun.

Under Maine law, a buyer must be at least 16 to buy a long gun from a private seller and at least 18 to buy a long gun from a federally licensed dealer. For handguns, the minimum ages are 18 from a private seller and 21 from a licensed dealer.

The Legislature’s Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee took Smith’s advice when he proposed the same thing two years ago and replaced the waiting period with parental consent, but neither version passed.

Smith said most teenagers who kill themselves do so with a gun from home, so education about safety is more useful than imposing a waiting period on purchases.

Crowley doesn’t think her son would have killed himself if there had been a waiting period to give him some time to get help or at least think through whatever was haunting him.

Gun shop owners say the bill is a "feel-good" measure that would accomplish little.

"Once people get to that point of despondency," a waiting period may not deter them, said Kim Adams, vice president for shooting sports at the Kittery Trading Post. "I don’t think it would be particularly effective."

George Smith of the Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine said he will suggest that lawmakers reject waiting periods and pass a law instead requiring that anyone 18 or younger get parental consent to buy a long gun.

I have to agree with some of this...I think that the waiting period would solve no issues. If someone wants to do it, they will. Whether it be fining a gun from someone else, getting in the car in the garage, taking a bottle of pills, etc...

I think if they feel that they need to do anything, a parental signature up until they are 18 would be suffice. But once they are 18, they are an adult.

So only people under 21 Commit suicide?

Its one of those dumb laws that is just designed to get the foot in the door for gun-grabbers. C-Pher is right, if somebody is so desperate that they feel that ending their life is the only way out, they'll wait the 10 days, or they'll find another way.

Not like England is Suicide-free

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Craven is sponsoring the bill with the support of Catherine Crowley of Lewiston, whose 18-year-old son killed himself with a newly purchased shotgun in 2004.

I love it. One moron blows his pathetic head off any they want to screw everybody over.... This Rep has to be a liberal...

I found this link to facts about suicides. It gives just the percentages and doesn't seen to get into the politics of it.

Youth have a elevated level of suicide. But they will find a way regardless. As the site states, fifty percent use firearms. That leaves another fifty percent that used alternate means. I handled a few suicides by teenaged or mid twenty year olds. Only one that I can remeber used a firearm. One layed down on a passenger train track, one walked to the middle of a six lane highway and stood in front odf a UPS tractor trailer. Another jumped from a bridge but it took him three times to get it right. On an unrelated note, after it was prived that the one individual wanted to kill himself and made no effort to avoid the UPS truck, the family sued UPS and received a settlement..

Another counter to the "guns cause suicide" myth is you have
countries like Japan which have an atrocious youth suicide rate- and
Japan almost unilaterally bans civilian ownership of firearms.

-Mike

I found this link to facts about suicides. It gives just the percentages and doesn't seen to get into the politics of it.

Youth have a elevated level of suicide. But they will find a way regardless. As the site states, fifty percent use firearms. That leaves another fifty percent that used alternate means. I handled a few suicides by teenaged or mid twenty year olds. Only one that I can remeber used a firearm. One layed down on a passenger train track, one walked to the middle of a six lane highway and stood in front odf a UPS tractor trailer. Another jumped from a bridge but it took him three times to get it right. On an unrelated note, after it was prived that the one individual wanted to kill himself and made no effort to avoid the UPS truck, the family sued UPS and received a settlement..

Yikes on all accounts [shocked]

Didja notice that most of these proposals are presented by wimmen !

Yes. [frown]

Maine has a problem... it's called Massachusetts. The problem has worked its way up from MA and has infiltrated as far north as Augusta. Portland stands a good chance of being a big Lefty enclave if it already isn't. Friend of mine was the town administrator for West Bath and 2 of the people on the town concil were from MA. My friend lost his job there because the town president didn't want him there anymore. You should hear some of his stories. My favorite was when Brunswick NAS was shutting down and the town was looking to find other customers for the base. A bunch of the hippy persuasion wanted to turn the runway into a " Garden of Peace " and have it as a tourist attraction! How sad...

( Back on topic ) Remember, the women is the security minded of the couple and anything that can aid that feeling is good, even though the end result is wrong. I can't say that my wife/GF is this way, but I don't have either of those. I have met females that are like this and it's scary. Maybe the ladies here will expand on this for everybody because they seemed to have made it over that hurdle.

Joe R.

Portland is already a hippie enclave of sorts. The one rep we have that proposes a state level AWB EVERY SINGLE YEAR represents Portland. The Portland police chief does not like to issue CCW permits, but he has to. So he puts you on a list so local cops can bring up that info. No other city or town in the state does this AFAIK.

That said, with the exception of the political climate there, I do love that city.

Also, disclaimer, I myself and my family are ex-ma**h***s so we fit the bill perfectly- except I am rabidly pro-gun.

if you want to stop the trend of suicide by firearm then they should present the facts that many such suicide attempts end not in death but in paralysis.
the possibility of being forced to live out your life unable to end it in a broken shell , bed ridden, shitting and pissing in a bag i think would be quite a compelling argument to seek alternative means/

Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Mainers aged 15 to 24, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services. From 1999 to 2003, 50 percent of the suicides by Mainers aged 10 to 24 involved guns, according to government statistics.

Even if you use these goofy numbers, kids under 16 can't purchase a rifle or shotgun. So, if you look at the number of firearm suicides for 16 - 20 year olds - those who would be covered by the law, using the 1999 - 2003 range, there were 47 suicide deaths. 21 from firearms. 20 died from suffocation.

In that same period, 147 died in car accidents, and 20 were poisoned to death. Hmmmm . . .

Not to knock on this woman, because I feel for her and I'm sure she feels guilty, but her son would still be dead. He committed to killing himself. The gun was just the tool. I have to say, there are always signs that someone is unhappy. The time to change that isn't going to be helped by any waiting period AFTER the person has decided to kill themselves already.

I'd love to see someone pull their head out of their ass and propose a mandatory GUN SAFETY class instead. You know, something that may ACTUALLY save a kids life?

Portland is already a hippie enclave of sorts. The one rep we have that proposes a state level AWB EVERY SINGLE YEAR represents Portland. The Portland police chief does not like to issue CCW permits, but he has to. So he puts you on a list so local cops can bring up that info. No other city or town in the state does this AFAIK.
Sen. Ethan Strimling, yeah. But it never passes, and I doubt it ever will. I did write a paper on it though...

Well this woman has all the time in the world to go around and promote this new bit of legislation but where was she when her son was going through hard enough times that he was considering taking his own life. For all of you who think I am being too hard on her think it all you want but this sound to me like a mother who feels overly guilty and is trying to have some "good" come out of her sons death. All this is going to do is help deplete the earths natural resources more. How you ask? Now all younger gun buyers that have to drive to the gun shop a minimum of two times. More gas is used not to mention the safetey factor. We all know that auto accidents far outnumber accidental gun deaths in this country so isn't is a fact that if this woman had another kid that he would be more likeley killed in the car ride to the gun store then by being accidently killed by a gun. I know her son wasn't accidently killed he killed himself... but if you are willing to kill yourself with a gun you have made up your mind. People who are attention whores or "wanna be" victims pop pills or cut their wrists but don't really go overboard hoping that someone will find them before they actually die. If this kid didn't have a gun he would have killed himself somehow... probably with a razorblade down the wrist.... so my point is if someone wants to off themselves they are going to do it don't make a waiting period for gun purcases or the next thing you know we are going to find ourselves having to walk to the local cvs to save gas to put our names on a waiting list to buy a Schic Quatro Razor to shave. Ban stupidity and ignorance not guns!

this has nothing to do with anyone's death. all they are trying to do is get a feel for how the legislature feels about restrictions and they'r eusing this incident to put the feelers out.

If this gets implemented maine will soon be as bad as Mass.

Step 1 of Gun Control coming up!!!!

They will expand this one small step ata time as they did in Mass.....

Maine residents need to stop this now and ship the liberals to england....or maybe canada.

Stop it now or it will be a nightmare sooner than you think.

when do we regulate aspirin and other otc meds? Will we have a 7 day waiting period for Advil? How about water we got a lot of lake,rivers and ocean around here so I propose we ban water and any one who wants more than 2 liters MUST apply for a permit and wait a mandatory 2 week before taking possession

this has nothing to do with anyone's death. all they are trying to do is get a feel for how the legislature feels about restrictions and they'r eusing this incident to put the feelers out.

If this gets implemented maine will soon be as bad as Mass.

Step 1 of Gun Control coming up!!!!

They will expand this one small step ata time as they did in Mass.....

Maine residents need to stop this now and ship the liberals to england....or maybe canada.

Stop it now or it will be a nightmare sooner than you think.

Born and Raised in Portland Maine. Moved to Mass following the work. When I flee Mass for affordable living and liberty it'll be South, not North. My Beloved Portland is already lost to the same sort of thinking that consumed Mass. And New Hampshire is just sandwiched in the middle. How long do you think NH can hold out?

-Weer'd Beard

suicideda0.gif

The link does contain both a comments section on the bill, and a poll for or against the proposed bill. So far, opponents are leading.

I couldn't find this in the article. Does anyone know the bill number?

Best to explain what is going on there was the Gay marriage ( I believe, I'm going on memory here ) actions that happened. Rough outline of what happened:

1) Referendom gets put on the ballot. End result was a 2 to 1 defeat for said ref.

2) Maine Legislature decides that the people didn't quite grasp was was good for them and overturns the vote results.

3) People that voted no have to get another referendom to overturn what the legislature did. They get the signatures, it goes on the ballot, and it passes with a 2 to 1 margin again.

How many times getting hit over the head would it take to get it thru to somebody that we didn't want that? It saddens me because my Mom still lives in Holden and as much as I would like to move back I can't get a job to support me there. That and the stupid people moving up there ( not counting the people in the 'County already there ) makes it a no go for me. I'll have to take my chances somewhere else...

Joe R.

I agree that people that are serious about suicide don't do it in the heat of the moment, that sort of thing is usually a cry for help. Serious people plan it, and would probably wait the time period to buy the gun anyways. I had a brother commit suicide... and looking back he had planned it out well ahead of time, just no one knew until it was too late.

-Tom

Back
Top Bottom