Status of polls - 5/4/05 6:30 AM

Press Herald(complete)
Does Maine need an assault weapons ban?
No: 80.16%
Yes: 18.76%
Undecided: 1.08%
Total Votes: 1850

WGME 13 Survey(complete)
Should assault weapons be banned in Maine?
Response Number Percent
Yes 211 23%
No 712 77%
Total Number of Responses: 923 (ended up around 1080 total)

Great job everyone!!

CD

-----------------------------------
Original message:
Just saw this in the Press Herald's Midday headlines. I'm going to try and see what other info I can find.

"Strimling proposes assault-weapon ban in Maine

AUGUSTA - A state senator wants Maine to activate an assault-weapons ban similar to a federal ban that expired in September.

Sen. Ethan Strimling's, D-Portland, proposal would ban manufacturing, transferring and possession of assault weapons in Maine. It would also ban .50-caliber rifles, but exempt antique weapons.

Strimling wants to give Maine law enforcement leeway to develop a system to identify new assault weapons and add them to the list.

Strimling said military-grade weapons are unnecessary and dangerous and he calls his bill a common sense approach to gun control. Maine Citizens Against Handgun Violence supports his bill.

The Associated Press"

Link removed, no longer valid. Midday articles were removed.

Thanks for moving this, I wasn't sure which forum to put it in since it wasn't a current law. CD

I wrote my letter. More to follow from myself and a few others I'm sure.

Also linked to this in a few other forums. Should gather a bit more support from both sides of our western border. I see this very unlikely to pass, but...still gotta stand tall and fight this.

CD,

I moved it. Anything to do with laws, how they are interpreted, proposed laws and regulations belongs here. It's just easier to keep things "neat" rather than a GD section which is cluttered with all sorts of stuff that belongs elsewhere.

As I always say, we must stay forever vigilant!

Some information I got last night:

Strimling is supposed to be on WLOB radio, 1310AM & 96.3FM, debating this issue Saturday(4/16) morning between 6 AM & 9 AM. I don't know what the detailed program schedule is at the moment, if I can get any more info I'll pass it along.

Chris

cdkayak said:

Strimling is supposed to be on WLOB radio, 1310AM & 96.3FM, debating this issue Saturday(4/16) morning between 6 AM & 9 AM. I don't know what the detailed program schedule is at the moment, if I can get any more info I'll pass it along.

Chris

We need to get the station's phone number to call in during the debate.

cdkayak said:

Chris

How was the debate?

derek said:
How was the debate?

Unfortunately I was at work until 3:30 that morning(relocating several servers), so the debate got missed. I'm trying to track down someone at the club that had a chance to catch it. As soon as I can get some more info I'll pass that along.

Chris

There was a hearing in Augusta today. Overall it went pretty well.

Strimling was proposing amendments before he was done presenting the bill. There were also some good questions from the committee. There were only 4 proponents to testify in favor of the bill, all from well known antigun groups. We had about 100 pro-gun people there to testify, standing room only. I didn't get to speak until near the end so I kept it very short. We finished up just about 3:30. It was interesting that Strimling left somewhere around 2-2:30.

I've gotten allot of positive feedback from emails that were sent out. Hopefully this will die a quick death.

CD

WOW his bill and he left an hour early? He must have had other children to save. Thanks for the info CD, keep us posted on future news please.

Derek

Forgot to mention, great testimony was given by Representative Richard M. Cebra and Senator Lois Snowe-Mello. A big thank you to both of them!

CD

That was good to hear, CD. Hopefully the voice of the people spoke louder than the whiners. It also depends on how many emails/letter/phone calls they get against the bill because they all add up as well, but it sounds hopeful.

Quote from the Article.

Strimling told the committee that 37 assault weapons were found at crime scenes in Maine from 1995 through 2000, but he said in an interview he does not know if any of them was used in committing a crime.

"We believe passage of this legislation will make the streets of Maine safer for our citizens," said Steven Giorgetti of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, one of about six people who testified in favor of the bill. Giorgetti offered no statistics on the use of such guns in Maine.

"My god he has a gun!!!"
"Did he use it to commit a crime?"
"No. BUT HE HAD A GUN!"

Status of polls - 5/4/05 8:30 AM

Press Herald(should be complete)
Does Maine need an assault weapons ban?
No: 80.16%
Yes: 18.76%
Undecided: 1.08%
Total Votes: 1850

WGME 13 Survey(this one appears to still be active)
Should assault weapons be banned in Maine?
Response Number Percent
Yes 211 23%
No 712 77%
Total Number of Responses: 923

Great job everyone!!

Derek,
Thanks for getting those polls posted at ARFCOM. I'm amazed we were able to turn that second one around as quick as we did. I was worried it was going to be running against us when the 6:00 news came on & they'd use the results. I didn't get home until almost 8 so I'll never know what they said.

Thanks for everyones help. I'm still getting some email responses from State Senators & Reps, mostly in our favor. I've sent additional info to any that had questions or reservations.

Back to the real job. :D

CD

Back
Top Bottom