• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Magnum primers?

Ok, the primer thing is getting old. Can I use small pistol magnum primers in .40 cal. I am loading for a sig p229 for my wife. on the lower end with either clays, win231, or unique. Thanks. 175 and 180 gr.

There seems to be a decent supply of small pistol primers around now. How close to Hoffmans in CT are you? There's a new place in Windsor or Cabellas also that you can try. I've used mag rifle primers in place of standard in rifle and standard rifle primers in pistol rounds. I might be temped to try the mag primers in pistol but NOT with fast powders. Possibly the 231 but not the Clays or Unique. Hopefully someone who has actually tried it will chime in. Careful.
HS

I always use magnum small pistol primers for all of my pistol loads, but you need to tread lightly, and start off low on the powder and work our way up to where it works for you, looking for pressure signs along the way. I like that the slightly longer burn always results in the powder burning cleanly and reliably. However, they do give off a bit more pressure than the standard ones.

I have used small magnum pistol primers successfully with Titegroup powder in .40 S&W.

As long as your at max you should be fine I use mag or regular primers depending on what I have on any given day and only difference I have found is about 30fps on the chrony. That is with 9mm and 40sw with Power Pistol powder and either cci or fed primers.
Dave

I am no pistol loading expert by any means, but all I have read states that if you use a mag primer you need to start low and work up, not at max load. I would go by what Duke has suggested, as he is one of the safest and cautious reloaders I have heard advice from. Duke is also a certified instructor, so he really knows his stuff. Not to discredit anyone, but I always go the safe route, and starting low seems safest to me.

I have used magnum primers in non magnum loads with good results. I am, however, loading at the low end of the pressure spectrum; IPSC minor in 9mm (125 gr plated at 1050 fps). I would be wary of using magnum primers with fast burning powders at the upper limits of their pressure range.

As long as your at max you should be fine I use mag or regular primers depending on what I have on any given day and only difference I have found is about 30fps on the chrony. That is with 9mm and 40sw with Power Pistol powder and either cci or fed primers.
Dave

ME BAD I should have said NOT AT MAX!!!!!!

Thanks guys. Hey Duke, you are the man. This whole primer thing is a drag. All the stores around me here in Plymouth, never have any. Need to make a road trip soon. If all I can get is magnum then yeah for me.

Thanks guys. Hey Duke, you are the man. This whole primer thing is a drag. All the stores around me here in Plymouth, never have any. Need to make a road trip soon. If all I can get is magnum then yeah for me.

Try Adam at Acme Armament in Plympton and Joe at Archer Arms in Carver. I have picked up primers from both of them in the last few months. Supply is kinda random, but give the local guys a shout.

I have not used SP primers in years. Small Rifle primers are the same external dimensions, their thicker cup provides a greater margin of safety and the cost is the same.

As I need SR primers anyway, it makes more sense for me to use them exclusively, reducing inventory and the chance of using the wrong primer.

This does NOT work with LARGE primers. At all.

I sense a story that might be worth relating.....

Have traditionally used what the loading manuals recommend but always looking to better understand how these all work together to give me a safe and accurate load....

I have not used SP primers in years. Small Rifle primers are the same external dimensions, their thicker cup provides a greater margin of safety and the cost is the same.

As I need SR primers anyway, it makes more sense for me to use them exclusively, reducing inventory and the chance of using the wrong primer.

This does NOT work with LARGE primers. At all.

While diameters might be similar, small to large, etc..... the other dimensions and chemicals are not the same. Those who use pistol primers in rifles, or vice versa are doing so un-necessarily. It's just as easy to get the proper primers, an not risk any issues.

Heck! I'd hate to start hearing stories about primers detonating in reloading presses. Or, slamfires happening for the variety of reasons that slamfires can happen.

I'm able to get as many or whatever specific primer I want, and always have plenty on hand. You just have to plan ahead, and get them BEFORE you actually need them. Maybe too many procrastinators. Dunno.

My advice: Stick to the TYPE of primer called for when reloading. I have never been brand specific, but always type specific! And, never, in 38 years of doing this, have I had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom