MA shut down well into June???.....Wife’s work says so.

At Faker Bakers media address today he actually said, and I quote, “we are going to be better off at the end of all this”. How the Fvck can he even think this way. Everyone will be worse off in one way or another. In some cases much worse off. But no one will be better off having gone through this. He’s f’ing crazy.

The University where my wife teaches is going 95% online for the fall 2020 semester. My guess is that a lot of Universities will do this and most Universities will remain that way and it will become the new educational experience.

Bob
Man, I wish my kids were a few years younger so I could pay $60K for them to take online courses :)

I wonder if the schools will cut their tuition in half. I'm going with, No.

At Faker Bakers media address today he actually said, and I quote, “we are going to be better off at the end of all this”. How the Fvck can he even think this way. Everyone will be worse off in one way or another. In some cases much worse off. But no one will be better off having gone through this. He’s f’ing crazy.

We will be better off because of all of the new regulations that will come from this. Worcester Business Journal just released an article to that effect.

People like me will get thrown in jail because I will still be willing to extend my hand for a handshake.

I concur. But having something like a Pats game or another huge gathering could prove a medical disaster. It's part of how Spanish Flu grew so crazy so fast 100 years ago.

I'm not even sure I want to go to a crowded restaurant right this second. But I think stuff needs to get opened up to an extent. Especially in places there aren't getting hard hit. mASSachusetts? We'll be the last. NY will open before we do because they're further on the curve than we are.
They also rushed the Spanish flu vaccine and hit all our troops with it on the way to Europe, and that’s why it exploded

typical pablum from that invertebrate

Man, I wish my kids were a few years younger so I could pay $60K for them to take online courses :)

We will be better off because of all of the new regulations that will come from this. Worcester Business Journal just released an article to that effect.

People like me will get thrown in jail because I will still be willing to extend my hand for a handshake.

Its fxcking April. How can they even talk about September right now?

My kid has to do online in September, ill be suing for a refund.
WPI is generally less gay than the average state school but still. They have been going more liberal over the years.

Last edited:
Now, the rationale is basically "if it saves one life".

Total BS and moving the goal posts on process now. The governors are probably trying to hide how badly they botched protecting long term care facilities.

Amen. But how is the state responsible for that, outside of giving a big-ass warning? I wonder if it was already too damned late. I'm not remember well - how quickly did we know Wuhan was mostly old-people-deaths?? Italy was too late to give us an indicator. I don't recall early reports talking about this being 80-99% oldfolks. Just like the surfaces, it was "well, it's this, but could be that, let's call it EVERYTHING." (Surfaces are good after 10 minutes, 2 hours, 6 hours, 24 hours, 13 days.)

I'm not sure that anyone really had GOOD info early on. Sure, it'll LOOK like it. And it'll LOOK LIKE they should have caught the Oklahoma City Bombers before they blew up the Murrow (Murrow?) building.

The University where my wife teaches is going 95% online for the fall 2020 semester. My guess is that a lot of Universities will do this and most Universities will remain that way and it will become the new educational experience.

Bob

Honestly - for state schools - NOOOO DIFFERENCEEEEEE. The education they dispense today sucks versus 30 years ago. Too much hand-holding. Not enough self-reliance. It's 3 decades of increased hand-holding since I was in school. While it was never Paper Chase for me (gosh - my brother watched that on PBS when I was in middle school and I had anxiety about college for, like, LIFE), it was a challenge. Today it's a function of being able to reasonably write and to look crap up on theGoogle.

My daughter is going to grajamarate from DUM, er, UMD this semester. Half of her courses were online. Not usually by choice. Mostly b/c they didn't OFFER SECTIONS OF IT IN PERSON except for odd hours. She learned very little compared to decades ago. A college degree is more meaningless than it ever was.

My company is continuing their strong work-from-home policies through May, and will re-evaluate for June. +90% of our company (+8,000 people worldwide) are working from home on a daily basis. I'm guessing they might ease restrictions some, for some locations, in June, but I don't expect normal access to resume until at least mid-July. Very easily could be October.

We are retired and both the wife & I have COPD (self infected by smoking to long), Anyway the wife said she wouldn't feel very good about eating out in Pubs or restaurants for quite awhile. So I guess it really won't matter to us High risk folks at 70 &73 years old. I'm doing fresh produce and dairy twice a month at stop n shop senior hours. What is killing me is range is closed and no fishing!
Why no fishing? I don't think trout can give you the 'rona.

They already are. The current State Public Employee Pension Debt stands at ~41 Billion Dollars. I believe about 12% of the State Budget goes to pay this deficit every year.

but checks are still going out. Still be cashed and honored by the banks.
Yep it's like having a orgy in a hot tub. You'll be lucky if it only burns when you piss.

if you think this is bad.. Wait until there is a Syphilis out break in Chelsea and Lynn.. Everything will be shut down again until every single person in the state is tested..

Must be cautious!! If it saves just ONE life!

My company is continuing their strong work-from-home policies through May, and will re-evaluate for June. +90% of our company (+8,000 people worldwide) are working from home on a daily basis. I'm guessing they might ease restrictions some, for some locations, in June, but I don't expect normal access to resume until at least mid-July. Very easily could be October.

All companies are saying this with the exception of the ones directly affected like tourism, restaurants and airlines. That was the first wave.

Wait til earnings come out and see what they say.

Unless your company is making medical products directly consumed for Covid, food, toilet paper or ammo or some niche.

Most balance sheets are gonna suck and companies are going to be laying off those people sitting on their asses at home.

These jackasses better go read their history books:

". Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses."

If they don't start allowing some freedom of movement and enjoyment of simple pleasures it will get ugly real quick.

It's still cold and rainy and relatively shitty weather outside, but in a few weeks the cabin fever meter will be pegged.

People need an outlet.

I plan on going out into the deep blue sea fishing in my kayak.

Just watch some a**h*** try and stop me.

Not gonna happen.

A resurgence in what? Asymptomatic cases? The students are under 50! Their risk is extremely low of developing a severe case. If a student has health issues then maybe that student studies remotely. Older professors can teach remotely.

True, but as you pointed out - faculty, admins, staff, and other political hacks are not.

My guess is that many larger universities will get a haircut on their tuition income since many students will opt for community college for more basic courses....why pay full price, especially online?

Coupled with loss of income from refunding the spring housing costs, and this is going to put a major cash crunch on higher education.

And, as @Mark from MA points out, when people pay full price for an online class that was supposed to be in person, people are absolutely not going to take it sitting down.
Of course, at many universities before the whole Covid-19 outbreak, online classes cost more than in-person classes anyways, so maybe that precedent will mitigate the ability to successfully challenge it.
Since the major inflation of college tuition in the last 30 years was largely driven by universities making available more amenities that can ONLY be experienced in person, sure would hack me off to keep cutting the same size checks for online classes.

I do think that the average company NOT in the tourism, restaurant, etc businesses will be conservative when it comes to reopening. If they "encourage" people to come back to regular, in-person work too early, we get a second wave and somebody croaks, I can't even imagine the lawsuits from the surviving family.
My guess, worth what you paid for it, is that we still see significant work-from-home policies from companies well into the summer.

I caught the part of it where he was going over the testing locations. All of the locations are in eastern Massachusetts with one location in Worcester. WTF.

Not a single location in western Mass. I have lived here long enough to know that the only time they consider western Mass when they are looking for revenue but it gets old.

My guess is that many larger universities will get a haircut on their tuition income since many students will opt for community college for more basic courses....why pay full price, especially online?

Coupled with loss of income from refunding the spring housing costs, and this is going to put a major cash crunch on higher education.

And, as @Mark from MA points out, when people pay full price for an online class that was supposed to be in person, people are absolutely not going to take it sitting down.
Of course, at many universities before the whole Covid-19 outbreak, online classes cost more than in-person classes anyways, so maybe that precedent will mitigate the ability to successfully challenge it.
Since the major inflation of college tuition in the last 30 years was largely driven by universities making available more amenities that can ONLY be experienced in person, sure would hack me off to keep cutting the same size checks for online classes.

They are taking a huge hit for sure. Especially the smaller colleges with smaller endowment.

There are students that are telling her that they are not going to return for the 2020 fall semester Because they are not going to pay the same price for Online classes that they were paying for residential classes.

Plus some are opting to take a year off until the dust settles and then you have the freshman class that wants their college experience.

There is a major upheaval going on in higher education right now.

Bob

Last edited:
These jackasses better go read their history books:

". Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses."

If they don't start allowing some freedom of movement and enjoyment of simple pleasures it will get ugly real quick.

It's still cold and rainy and relatively shitty weather outside, but in a few weeks the cabin fever meter will be pegged.

People need an outlet.

I plan on going out into the deep blue sea fishing in my kayak.

Just watch some a**h*** try and stop me.

Not gonna happen.
I'd like to be there too, but my marina is currently closed. Private business so their choice, but I suspect they are following Faker's lead.

The problem with these stats is the quoted number of "confirmed cases".

My oldest daughter has a presumptive diagnosis. But they don't test those who are not worse off than she is. They say with her symptoms a test confirming diagnosis would not change her treatment plan. So why go to the trouble and potential risk?

Her husband is also presumptive positive as well. Quarantine for 14 days and let us know if you get worse.

We don't know how many people truly have been infected. Mostly the only folks being tested are the very sick. So we don't have a clear picture of the risks of this virus.

@Emacs, as a stats guy anything you'd add?

I'll give credit where credit is due. MA has greatly expanded their daily report, and it gives just about any data you could want. The only thing missing is the % of infection by county.

"Case % is" the % of people infected in each county.
"Growth" is the case growth percentage from 4/19-4/21.
Plymouth, Worcester and Hampden have all moved up. Middlesex has been near the top all along.

CountyPopulation
4/21/2020​
Case %Growth
Plymouth
518,132​
3,043​
0.59%​
11.38%​
Middlesex
1,614,774​
9,621​
0.60%​
10.12%​
Worcester
830,839​
3,341​
0.40%​
8.86%​
Hampden
470,406​
2,533​
0.54%​
8.39%​
Hampshire
161,355​
337​
0.21%​
7.67%​
Suffolk
807,252​
8,669​
1.07%​
7.37%​
Norfolk
705,388​
4,062​
0.58%​
7.21%​
Essex
790,638​
5,521​
0.70%​
7.14%​
Bristol
564,022​
1,852​
0.33%​
6.99%​
Barnstable
213,413​
672​
0.31%​
6.33%​
Franklin
70,963​
192​
0.27%​
6.08%​
Berkshire
126,348​
404​
0.32%​
4.39%​
Dukes
28,679​
14​
0.05%​
0.00%​
Nantucket
11,101​
9​
0.08%​
0.00%​
Total
6,913,310​
40,270​
0.58%​
8.38%​

“Absent other interventions, a key metric for the success of social distancing is whether critical care capacities are exceeded. To avoid this, prolonged or intermittent social distancing may be necessary into 2022.”

The problem with these stats is the quoted number of "confirmed case.

@Emacs, as a stats guy anything you'd add?

Think of it this way: the one thing we sort of know is the number of deaths - although it could be more due to lack of testing especially early on.

So, with approx 46k dead in the US with a 1% mortality rate (common estimate) the total number of US cases is somewhere around 4.6 MILLION. If the mortality rate is 5% then double it. That’s today. Only gonna grow from there.

The current media numbers in the US: approx 842k confirmed cases and 46k dead put the mortality rate at 5.4%. This is plain wrong and no one is talking about it.

This math holds true when looking at the total global numbers too. A lot more people are or have been infected already.

I see people fishing every day. Nobody is bothering them.

Wait till it comes to dimple's attention.
I'm tempted to put a money wager on it getting shut down.
Some nosy assed Karen will look out the window and bitch about a couple of guys that don't look like they are quaking in fear in the basement and done.

As someone who's a pre-hospital provider north of Boston, it definitely is a bit more serious than a lot of people pushing for large scale re-opening realize. There is legit concern for asymptomatic spread as well as overall compliance with precautions if things start opening. I agree that the people stir-crazy are going to become an issue soon, but unfortunately until people come to the realization that we really do need some time to let the asymptomatic carriers become symptomatic and trace/testing improve, re-opening is a legit public safety risk.

I am thinking that everything will mysteriously be opened as soon as the state pension funds go officially bankrupt.
They'll probably just have the federal government pick up the tab. It seems like a lot of the hot spots are in places where the pension funds are bankrupt or close to it and they get money for every covid case and even more if they go on a ventilator so I wouldn't be surprised if some of that money gets diverted from where it's supposed to go and ends up where it shouldn't. Government is showing more and more each day that it can't be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom