MA resident with CT LTC. Can I carry my Glock fully loaded?

I just received my LTC from CT. I'm a MA resident with MA ltc as well. I can now legally carry in CT concealed, but am not sure about round limits. In MA I have a Glock 19 Gen4, with preban 15 round mags that I carry concealed daily. Is this legal in CT? Or do I need to unload my mags to a certain level?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CT laws have gotten very strange/interesting/retarded. Your 15 round mag is considered a "high-capacity" mag in CT and is a regulated item. If you didn't register it, you can't be in possession of it in CT. If you did register it, you have to have it downloaded to 10 rounds and it has to be in your firearm, (not on your belt); or it has to be empty. Screwy laws...

Buy a couple 10-round mags for it and leave the 15 round mags home.

Not a lawyer, but am a permit holder in CT.

That sounds like what I will be doing. I have a few 10 round mags and will have to just carry those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To bring a standard cap mag into CT, you'd have had to declare it by 1/1/14. Which is something you could have done as a MA resident.

If you had, you could have carried it with 10 in it legally.

You could also have carried it fully loaded while committing a non criminal infraction. (so most knowledgeable people carry standard caps filled to the brim)

As it is, without a declared standard cap mag, you could face felony charges if caught with it in CT

CT laws have gotten very strange/interesting/retarded. Your 15 round mag is considered a "high-capacity" mag in CT and is a regulated item. If you didn't register it, you can't be in possession of it in CT. If you did register it, you have to have it downloaded to 10 rounds and it has to be in your firearm, (not on your belt); or it has to be empty. Screwy laws...

Buy a couple 10-round mags for it and leave the 15 round mags home.

Not a lawyer, but am a permit holder in CT.

So even if you register it you still have to carry it neutered. Is there anyway to carry a "high capacity" mag in CT?

So even if you register it you still have to carry it neutered. Is there anyway to carry a "high capacity" mag in CT?

Assuming you're "citizen", not LEO or member of other excepted classes, and that we're talking about other than private property -- nope.

Here's a link to CT's DESPP site: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616
The first item on that page is a link to a FAQ about the changes to firearms laws that were signed into law 4/4/13 as a response to Newtown including questions about "Large Capacity Magazines".

Only if you care about being charged with an infraction if you get caught breaking it. This was put in the law at the end of the negotiations. Its basically a get out of jail free card for your first offense.

(c) Except as provided in this section and section 24 of this act: (1) Any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained prior to the effective date of this section shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than ninety dollars for a first offense and shall be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense, and (2) any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained on or after the effective date of this section shall be guilty of a class D felony.

Don

To bring a standard cap mag into CT, you'd have had to declare it by 1/1/14. Which is something you could have done as a MA resident.

If you had, you could have carried it with 10 in it legally.

You could also have carried it fully loaded while committing a non criminal infraction. (so most knowledgeable people carry standard caps filled to the brim)

As it is, without a declared standard cap mag, you could face felony charges if caught with it in CT

And I thought Mass. gun laws were confusing!

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'll be using the 10 round mags.

I recommend that you carefully test your carry ammo with those mags before carrying them. The followers in the Glock 10-round mags were an afterthought (only made to comply with stupid laws) and do not reliably feed all hollow points without jamming.

Yes. You ignore the law and carry with 15. Like I said, and cited, in an earlier post, if you are caught its a NONCRIMINAL infraction.

Its in the same category as making a right on red where the sign says you can't.

If you feel the need to comply with laws that deprive you of your natural right to self defense when the punishment is so minimal (non-criminal with a maximum fine of $90), then you need to get your head examined.

The only time anyone I know complies is if they are at a political event or are for some other reason open carrying. In that case there is an increased chance of an interaction with the police so why waste your get out of jail free card on that. (second offense is a felony)

Don

Yes. You ignore the law and carry with 15. Like I said, and cited, in an earlier post, if you are caught its a NONCRIMINAL infraction.

Its in the same category as making a right on red where the sign says you can't.

If you feel the need to comply with laws that deprive you of your natural right to self defense when the punishment is so minimal (non-criminal with a maximum fine of $90), then you need to get your head examined.

The only time anyone I know complies is if they are at a political event or are for some other reason open carrying. In that case there is an increased chance of an interaction with the police so why waste your get out of jail free card on that. (second offense is a felony)

Don

It also depends upon when he obtained the high-cap mag, and that's even more ridiculous because they're not serial numbered. I've got no way of "proving" that the 30-round pmags in my safe were purchased before the laws passed. The state has no way of proving they were purchased after the law was passed. I've got sales receipts, but there's no real proof that they're for those specific magazines. Crap legislature written by people who know nothing about firearms except that they don't like them.

To quote part of your earlier response: "(c) Except as provided in this section and section 24 of this act: (1) Any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained prior to the effective date of this sectionshall commit an infraction and be fined not more than ninety dollars for a first offense and shall be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense, and (2) any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained on or after the effective date of this section shall be guilty of a class D felony."

Take another look at (2). If it's determined that the large cap mag was obtained after the date, it's a Class D felony first time out. At least that's how I read it, and I'll certainly add the caveat that I'm not an attorney, nor do I claim a particular expertise in this matter.

My entire focus after Newtown has been two-fold - obtaining the firearms/accessories I want before they were made illegal; and avoiding an arrest afterwards for unintentionally committing a felony. I need to be gainfully employed for a number of reasons, and a felony arrest would almost certainly get me fired from my current position and limit my future options.

Allen - read the post I was responding to. He said. "So even if you register, you still have to carry it neutered".

I was replying based on the person LAWFULLY possessing the magazine. So if you lawfully posses the magazine, you could carry it loaded to 15 with NO criminal liability. Period.

And I thought Mass. gun laws were confusing!

It gets better.

The law reads that you can carry a "high-capacity" mag downloaded to 10 rounds *in your handgun*. If you have it elsewhere, such as on your belt, in your pocket, in your trunk, it must be EMPTY.

The law also reads that you must not carry "concealed assault weapons". I actually called the SLFU about that one because it's ridiculous. If I conform to the letter of the law, (rather than the apparent intent of the law), I would have my AR-15 in a case in the trunk of the car. When I arrive at my destination, I would uncase it to carry it inside.

Freaking laws were written by people who don't know very much about firearms; except apparently "guns are bad", and if they have a "flip up thingy" they're worse because they're ghost guns and they can fire 30 round clips in 1/2 a second and ... blah, blah, blah. I swear that CT and CA are in competition to see who can spend more money that they don't have and who can dream up the most asinine firearm laws.

Allen,

When the law first passed, there was a lot of discussion about whether you could carry a high capacity mag, downloaded on your belt as a spare and the consensus was that you could not. So its a good point you've made. I didn't pay much attention to the details of that because I generally don't carry a spare mag.

And just to subtly correct your quote. Its "its the shoulder thing that goes up". Not "the flip up thingy. "

Here's some great video. If you don't have time, skip the first 45 seconds.

[video=youtube_share;ospNRk2uM3U]http://youtu.be/ospNRk2uM3U[/video]

And just to subtly correct your quote. Its "its the shoulder thing that goes up". Not "the flip up thingy. "

Here's some great video. If you don't have time, skip the first 45 seconds.

[video=youtube_share;ospNRk2uM3U]http://youtu.be/ospNRk2uM3U[/video]

Oh my god. Perfect example of people who don't understand guns writing legislature.

After ignoring the question twice -

Interviewer: Do you know what a barrel shroud is? 'cause it's in your legislation.
McCarthy: I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is. It's the shoulder thing that goes up.

de Leon is a total dbag. My brother has a house in California and we can't decide whose legislators are more idiotic. Although I think the current nod is to Leland for being anti-gun and getting arrested for gunrunning - bringing hypocrisy to a new level.

Back
Top Bottom