MA Nonresident permit expiration Q

Current research is bogging down, so I thought i'd throuw the question out there, with appropriate caveats to internet legal advice....

Does the 90 day grace period apply to nonresident permits as well as resident ones? I am seeing the language relate to "90 days after the license expires".

Any thoughts on this? reason I ask is because unlike past years, I've left renewal a bit late, mine expires on 14 September.

NO!

The section of the law which was changed to allow the 90 day grace period is ONLY for Resident licenses. MGL Ch. 140 S. 131

There is another section of MGL that applies to NON-Residents and that section was NOT changed! MGL Ch. 140 S. 131F

Sorry.

I've just learned to consider my Non-Res LTC-A (ALP) as a 9mo license with a 90-day grace period. I set my Outlook calendar for a reminder.

Once in 8 renewals I was approved in 1-2mo, seven in 2-3mo.

The section of the law which was changed to allow the 90 day grace period is ONLY for Resident licenses. MGL Ch. 140 S. 131

Seems to me that the 90 day grace period should only apply if one is appealing a finding, otherwise isn't it a violation of the law that requires issue or denial within 40 days of applying. Also, a grace period could be used as an excuse by the issuing authority to drag their feet even longer on issuing a LTC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom