MA LTC Interview

For you Non Res guys. Neutered still the norm or other circumstances for Class A.
Just planning. Not sure when I leave I have many reasons to return outside of friends and a few holidays.

I have a non-res unrestricted. I previously held a resident unrestricted and I imagine that helped.

I would rephrase that to say "Former LEO or regular citizen who has to go begging for their 2nd Amendment RIGHT"

I’m not into cop bashing. I’ve lived in this state for near 58 years. I could fight the bitch or fight the fight. You know and I know this place sucks. I’m moving out. 06-22 is my pension date. What you so called warriors do after that is on you.
I’ll continue but unless you start dropping dimes in Maine I’m freaking out. I’ve paid my dues, watched the loss, raised my BP more times and frankly built a very nice life away from this shithole.
Gov. Mills in Maine has my attention now. Much of my life revolves up there. I’ve done my sentence here.

I’m not into cop bashing. I’ve lived in this state for near 58 years. I could fight the bitch or fight the fight. You know and I know this place sucks. I’m moving out. 06-22 is my pension date. What you so called warriors do after that is on you.
I’ll continue but unless you start dropping dimes in Maine I’m freaking out. I’ve paid my dues, watched the loss, raised my BP more times and frankly built a very nice life away from this shithole.
Gov. Mills in Maine has my attention now. Much of my life revolves up there. I’ve done my sentence here.

Not cop bashing here but lamenting being the "regular citizen" in masshell. Maine may also be my eventual haven. I have faith that things won't get as bad as they are here in Maine.

I think the length of time it takes after the interview really depends on how big a backlog they have at any given time. I got my first non-resident permit last March. I had my interview in December 2017 and it took 79 days from the interview until I received my permit. My guess would be yours will take between 70 and 85 days but you never know if you happened to apply during a time when there were not many applicants it could be quicker. My renewal this year was processed in under 2 months, I did wait a little too long before I sent in my renewal so I was pleased with the relatively quick turn around time. While Mass has some of the toughest gun laws and the process is more complicated than a lot of states, everyone I have interacted with in the process has been very professional, helpful and never made me feel like they were looking for a reason to not give me a permit.

I think the length of time it takes after the interview really depends on how big a backlog they have at any given time. I got my first non-resident permit last March. I had my interview in December 2017 and it took 79 days from the interview until I received my permit. My guess would be yours will take between 70 and 85 days but you never know if you happened to apply during a time when there were not many applicants it could be quicker. My renewal this year was processed in under 2 months, I did wait a little too long before I sent in my renewal so I was pleased with the relatively quick turn around time. While Mass has some of the toughest gun laws and the process is more complicated than a lot of states, everyone I have interacted with in the process has been very professional, helpful and never made me feel like they were looking for a reason to not give me a permit.

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply.

I would rephrase that to say "Former LEO or regular citizen who has to go begging for their 2nd Amendment RIGHT"

Regular Joe. I have no connections whatsoever. Filled out the form, showed up to my interview (not in sweatpants), paid the $100. That’s really all there is to it.

For you Non Res guys. Neutered still the norm or other circumstances for Class A.
Just planning. Not sure when I leave I have many reasons to return outside of friends and a few holidays.
I have probably 3-4 friends who have moved to NH from MA in the past couple of years and all, including myself, have received unrestricted. Just formulate a logical explanation that's not just "all lawful purposes." I was given the impression during my interview that if you're "washed" - i.e., carried a MA resident unrestricted--you should be good to go as long as you don't give a dumb reason that boxes you in, like "Sometimes I target shoot in MA." Explain your ties to MA (family, friends, job) and possibly any dicey situations you might find yourself in.

Last edited:
former LEOs in the news this week for murder, rape, and theft. i don't care what you call yourself until all are fired and the units rebuilt i will call you all crooks

Don’t count on the FLRB to do anything quickly. Last I herd , and I could be mistaken , they are not even hearing cases

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I'm not judging, I think most here would use whatever they could to get a little preferential treatment, regardless of what they say. But let's be honest about it. You say you weren't seeking any preferential treatment because you are former LEO, but that is exactly what you did.

I mailed out my renewal on January 25 and got my Non Resident LTC in the mail last week.
This renewal license is posted dated to my actual renewal date in August, so I am good until 2020.

Marlin

I don't see what the big deal is about a 'former LEO' getting special treatment. It's widely acknowledged that a business owner (who might be presumed to be carrying valuables), a physician (who might be a avenue for narcotics), and an NRA Instructor (who might be presumed to be carrying firearms) can get special treatment too, and nobody seems to have a problem with that.

I don't see what the big deal is about a 'former LEO' getting special treatment. It's widely acknowledged that a business owner (who might be presumed to be carrying valuables), a physician (who might be a avenue for narcotics), and an NRA Instructor (who might be presumed to be carrying firearms) can get special treatment too, and nobody seems to have a problem with that.
You just don't get it. I have a problem with any of the above getting special treatment too.

You must be trolling, lots of people have a problem with this.

You must be trolling, lots of people have a problem with this.

Lots of people may believe a certain way, that doesn't mean somebody who disagrees is "trolling." Former LEO arguably has training that's superior to the average guy on the street and (as OP explained) potentially plenty of enemies. I appreciate those who serve and personally want them to have every advantage possible, fully understanding that shouldn't water down a right to carry that I believe most of us should have and further understanding that just like in everything else, some LEO are a-holes. But most of them put their lives on the line in ways that most of us don't have to on a regular basis (including the ME State trooper who I know who was just killed by a truck tire in Maine while assisting a motorist). If all of that makes me a troll so be it.

WTF is with you guys? I asked a simple question and get attacked.

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.

Lot's of A holes on NES unfortunately.....you just happened to run into a few of them.

Lots of people may believe a certain way, that doesn't mean somebody who disagrees is "trolling." Former LEO arguably has training that's superior to the average guy on the street and (as OP explained) potentially plenty of enemies. I appreciate those who serve and personally want them to have every advantage possible, fully understanding that shouldn't water down a right to carry that I believe most of us should have and further understanding that just like in everything else, some LEO are a-holes. But most of them put their lives on the line in ways that most of us don't have to on a regular basis (including the ME State trooper who I know who was just killed by a truck tire in Maine while assisting a motorist). If all of that makes me a troll so be it.
Reading comprehension fail.
His comment was "nobody" cares. I pointed out that many care. I made no comment on his beliefs ether way, or mine for that matter. But for the record, none of those special people should get preferential treatment. The law should be applied equally to all.

Reading comprehension fail.
His comment was "nobody" cares. I pointed out that many care. I made no comment on his beliefs ether way, or mine for that matter. But for the record, none of those special people should get preferential treatment. The law should be applied equally to all.

That's fair... just not really sure why the troll label got applied. There's a wide range of opinions on this forum which is one of the things I enjoy about it and one of the reasons I joined. For the most part it's clear that the vast majority of us want the same thing (more or less). Throwing the troll thing around is horseshit to me.

Arguably is an understatement. I'll argue that point all day long.

Just last month we had a member at the club report he was muzzle swept by a member and that they had rifles laid on benches with the muzzle pointing parellel to the line. When the member that broke these safety rules was called out on it.....his response was "nothing was unsafe.....im.a police officer". Yeah......sure buddy.....how about you attend another range orientation like anyone else stupid enough to violate safety rules.....you know.....just like everyone else.

Arguably is an understatement. I'll argue that point all day long.

Just last month we had a member at the club report he was muzzle swept by a member and that they had rifles laid on benches with the muzzle pointing parellel to the line. When the member that broke these safety rules was called out on it.....his response was "nothing was unsafe.....im.a police officer". Yeah......sure buddy.....how about you attend another range orientation like anyone else stupid enough to violate safety rules.....you know.....just like everyone else.

Where can I get some of the "superior training" I observed a couple of weeks ago where a Mass State Trooper was handling his pistol with a mag inserted while I was down range bringing a target stand in? Does said training make you blind and deaf so that you can't see flashing lights and ringing alarms?

Or are the safety rules another exemption we should grant LEOs due to their superior training?

Back
Top Bottom