• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC Interview

I had my "interview" today in Chelsea for my non-resident LTC for Massachusetts. I'm a former LEO. The person conducting the interview said that the license would be issued within 90 days. When questioned further, she said it should be quicker but that they want to set the furthest expectations.

If you've gone through this process, what is the realistic turn-around time I should expect?

I had my "interview" today in Chelsea for my non-resident LTC for Massachusetts. I'm a former LEO. The person conducting the interview said that the license would be issued within 90 days. When questioned further, she said it should be quicker but that they want to set the furthest expectations.

If you've gone through this process, what is the realistic turn-around time I should expect?
1. What does former leo have to do with anything?

2. Every town is different time frames. My town is 7 weeks. Others take 4 months or more thats for resident.

For non resident......it'll take some time.....90 says is what I hear.

1. Obviously triggered you to reply to it.
Was that your intention? If not why did you mention it?

If the state police in chelsea planned on giving you any "professional courtesy " for being FORMER LEO on the time frame of issue I'm sure they would have told you so.....or you would not be here asking nes if the 90 days is accurate.

Last edited:
I honest to friggin GOD hope it takes 91 days. I presume the same as whacko does -- All animals are equal. It's just that some animals are more equal. And the rest of us don't like it.

Doesn't LEOSA cover you, anyway?
Only if he's retired leo. And I hope his takes like.....forever!

The only reason someone would mention former leo is the hope that it gets points......or to point out specifically that they are "more equaller". Lol

Last edited:
I honest to friggin GOD hope it takes 91 days. I presume the same as whacko does -- All animals are equal. It's just that some animals are more equal.

WTF is with you guys? I asked a simple question and get attacked.

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.

I honest to friggin GOD hope it takes 91 days. I presume the same as whacko does -- All animals are equal. It's just that some animals are more equal. And the rest of us don't like it.

Wasn't there something in that requiring years of service?
EDIT:
There's my answer.

WTF is with you guys?

I included info about being former LEO because my understanding is that obtaining a CCW permit in MA requires a reason that you are requesting a non-restriction. I felt that was a reason to substantiate a non-restricted CCW. Wasn't looking for preferential treatment.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.
Pardon us. We get quite a bit touchy when leo come on with even the slightest hint of the preferential treatment routine. Especially since the da edict a few years back exempting all leo and former leo even from the AWB. If your putting down former leo as your reason for needing unrestricted ltc.......I'd like to hear your reason that former leo should get unrestricted vs any other law abiding citizen from any other state. But hey.....that's just me.

Nothing personal. I'm sorry if you felt attacked. I'm sure we'd get along swimmingly. As I said in my (edited) comment -- some animals get preferential treatment, and the rest of us don't like it.

I'm not anti-cop. And I (now) understand your reasoning and need to get a non-res LTC. Please excuse our rudeness at 'assuming' that the reason you even mentioned your ex-LEO status, was that you consider it might/should have any sort of bearing on anything whatsoever. After years of seeing all the shenanigans that happen wrt licensing in MA, I hope you understand our point of view where we might question such things.

But even if you WERE a qualified ex-LEO, we'd be rightfully jealous of your ability to carry in MA and other places, without a license. In our not so humble opinion, there really only ought to be one class of people, none of us who need a license to exercise a Civil Right guaranteed by the Constitution. So if we have to jump through hoops to carry in the Commonwealth, so should everyone else.

Carry on.

Only if he's retired leo. And I hope his take like.....forever!

The only reason someone would mention that is the Hope's it gets points.
Nothing personal. I'm sorry if you felt attacked. I'm sure we'd get along swimmingly. As I said in my (edited) comment -- some animals get preferential treatment, and the rest of us don't like it.

I'm not anti-cop. And I (now) understand your reasoning and need to get a non-res LTC. Please excuse our rudeness at 'assuming' that the reason you even mentioned your ex-LEO status, was that you consider it might/should have any sort of bearing on anything whatsoever. After years of seeing all the shenanigans that happen wrt licensing in MA, I hope you understand our point of view where we might question such things.

But even if you WERE a qualified ex-LEO, we'd be rightfully jealous of your ability to carry in MA and other places, without a license. In our not so humble opinion, there really only ought to be one class of people, none of us who need a license to exercise a Civil Right guaranteed by the Constitution. So if we have to jump through hoops to carry in the Commonwealth, so should everyone else.

Carry on.

I don't disagree.

I do qualify under LEOSA however obtaining a "retired" ID card is required. I served an aggregate
of ten or more years but because I did not "retire" with a full 20 year tenure on the job, my department policy is to not issue an ID, therefore not fulfilling the obligation under LEOSA.

Hopefully it takes less than 90. Friends who we’re in the same boat had it come in around 2 months

As for getting jumped on, ignore it. They are likely Creedmoor fans and spend a lot of time waiting to bitch at something [rofl][rofl]

I didn't say that former LEO should have more of a right. I put it as my reason for requesting. My reasoning is that over the years I've prosecuted thousands of people for everything from traffic violations to murder. As a former LEO I fear that one or more might be capable of retaliation and I'd like the means to protect myself. I'm sure your reasons for wanting to protect yourself and family are just as legitimate.

I seriously doubt that FRB is that quick issuing NR LTCs, but I hope they've got their act together to do it in 90 days.

LEOSA isn't magic, one must qualify anually and getting that done isn't always easy.

Carry on.
This

Hopefully it takes less than 90. Friends who we’re in the same boat had it come in around 2 months

As for getting jumped on, ignore it. They are likely Creedmoor fans and spend a lot of time waiting to bitch at something [rofl][rofl]
30-06 man actually

I posted this in February of this year:

"Massachusetts non-resident renewal last year was 74 days from the day they got it to the day the new license was dated (11/6/2017 to 1/19/2018).

This year it was 93 days (11/3/2018 to 2/5/2019).

Nothing in my application changed. Same as last year I didn't have to appear in person this year.

So I would put in my renewal as early as practicable; this is a 19 day increase in the process."

I appreciate that the OP was asking about an original license but this is the most recent data I have.

Hope for 90 days. Mine was a few days over plus transit time for a renewal without the visit.

Set some kind of reminder for next year. The expiration date will sneak up on you quicker than you expect.
I send mine out 4 months early. 6 if I need an appointment.

Mine took 123 days from Chelsea interview to receiving it in the mail. This doesn't factor in the weeks from mailing it to getting the interview. All told I mailed my application in March and received my non-res in September. Very efficient!

Coincidentally, I just mailed my renewal this morning.

My non-res renewal was probably around 4 months this year. And I did not have to go to Chelsea this year.

The state is not held to any sort of time frame with non-res permit applications so be prepared to wait. Maybe you’ll get lucky.

For you Non Res guys. Neutered still the norm or other circumstances for Class A.
Just planning. Not sure when I leave I have many reasons to return outside of friends and a few holidays.

Back
Top Bottom