MA Interstate transfer question

I've searched though the current posts but I haven't found one that directly answers my question. First off, this is about rifles and shotguns only (not handguns). Other posts have mentioned that it is legal to buy a long gun from from an out-of-state FFL, bring it back into MA, and submit an FA-10 for it. If I want to obtain a long gun from a non-FFL holder in another state then an FFL needs to be involved but can it be done in the same way as a retail purchase rather than having an FFL involved in both states?

I've searched though the current posts but I haven't found one that directly answers my question. First off, this is about rifles and shotguns only (not handguns). Other posts have mentioned that it is legal to buy a long gun from from an out-of-state FFL, bring it back into MA, and submit an FA-10 for it. If I want to obtain a long gun from a non-FFL holder in another state then an FFL needs to be involved but can it be done in the same way as a retail purchase rather than having an FFL involved in both states?

I could be wrong but i believe that you need to go through an FFL if its an out of state purcahse. Im not sure how you could use A FA-10 a bring it back into MA. im sure there are also issue's of if its MASS complient. dont quote me on that.. have some one else double check my statement first.

The only wrinkle is that the transfer would need to be booked through an FFL in either the seller's state or here. At that point it's no different from a dealer sale. Just file the FA-10 afterwards as a registration if it's through an out-of-state FFL.

Ken

+1

You can buy a long gun from an FFL out of state, bring it in state with you and submit an FA-10 for "registering" it once here.

You cannot buy any firarm from a private party from out of state and bring it in state. The long gun sale must go through an FFL from the state you purchased from and then...bring in home and file the FA-10 form.

You cannot purchase any firearm (long gun or handgun) from an individual from out of state. The purchase must be made through an FFL. As far as handgun is concerned it must be transfered from and FFL to an in state FFL thus insuring compliance with the list.

Back
Top Bottom