MA Hunters Safety Class

I just went to get a hunting license and was told I have to take a hunter education class? The state wont offer any until after hunting season?? Does anyone know if there are any private classes offered?

I have never heard of a private class, but you can take one in any other state. I would try showing up to a three day Fri-Sat Sunday one. Good luck NH has a lot, but it is hard to find a class midway through the season, because many teachers are hunting.

Here is the text from the MassWildlife abstracts.

NOTE: No adult may buy a hunting or sporting license unless he shows the issuing agent a previous year's hunting or sporting license (from any state) or a certificate of completion of a Hunter Education Course issued by any state or province.

The change went into effect a couple years ago.

Dana

Most NE states require this. Have you ever been licensed in another state?
I like the Hunter Ed requirement. It is a good idea to learn something about hunting - before you go hunting.....

If you have taken a course in the past, but have lost your certificate, MA Fish & Game has records going back many years (I heard early 70's). You can call them and they'll issue you a duplicate.

I feel your pain! They make you go thru hoops of fire just to get a flipping hunting license! First, they have NO one-day courses--they all run multiple days at hard to get to times. Second, there are NO provisions in new england to do an online course. No wonder the ranks of hunters are dwindling every year!

Back
Top Bottom