• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Hunter Safety Final Exam

I was just wondering how difficult the hunter safety final exam is? What is it's format? Is it Open book? How much do I need to study? Etc. Thanks in advance for any answers.

It's been awhile since I taught the course (almost 10 years), but I doubt the format has changed. It's going to be a multiple choice (A,B,C,D). The questions aren't too tricky, but you should know the parts of a hunting rifle/shotgun. If you haven't had a quiz on the "10 commandments" of gun safety, then I am sure those will be on it too.

If you been around hunting at all, then it shouldn't be hard at all. If you are new to the sport (welcome!) just read the hunter safety manual, especially the review sections. Most of the final questions are taken directly from the end of chapter review sections.

Good Luck! Don't sweat it!

It is pretty easy, mostly common sense stuff with a few tricky questions that you need to make sure you read and re-read to confirm what they are looking for.

Quickly read through the book one more time before the test and you should not have an issue.

I just took it this spring. It was incredibly easy. I didn't miss a single question. No worries. The instructors even said if it really looked like you were having trouble they'd tutor you individually until you could pass. But nobody in my class of about 35 failed to pass on the first try.

Last edited:
I just took it this spring. It was incredibly easy. I didn't miss a single question. No worries. The instructors even said if it really looked like you were having trouble they'd tutor you individually until you could pass. But nobody in my class of about 35 failed to pass on the first try.

Same here. Memorize the ten commandments, and review your chapter questions. Be watchful for specific catchphrases and "best answer" type questions (i.e. in reality multiple answers are acceptable but pausing for a moment makes it clear they are looking for a specific one of those).

If you're the kind of person who takes tests well, you'll ace it. If you struggle with written tests, you will still pass it as long as you've been present and mentally engaged, and you'll kick yourself for making some dumb mistake or other.

Either way you'll never worry about it again once you get your license....

Good luck and stay safe :).

Thanks for all the advice. I got 100% when I took it. They gave us the answers to several questions and even stressed one point of the ten commandments that people always get wrong. Somehow people still got those answers wrong!!! Now I've just got to decide between a mossberg 500 and a Remington 870.

Thanks for all the advice. I got 100% when I took it. They gave us the answers to several questions and even stressed one point of the ten commandments that people always get wrong. Somehow people still got those answers wrong!!! Now I've just got to decide between a mossberg 500 and a Remington 870.

Back
Top Bottom