MA: Green Town LTC process for a "first timer"

P

Phaedo1982

Both my friend and I are going through the application process in a "Green Town," located in Eastern Hampden County, Mass., to get our Class A LTC. So far the process has gone smoothly - took the required training course and just met with the firearms officer to hand in our applications. (We both had near identical, brief interactions with the officer.)

This is how the meeting went with the firearms officer:

-Officer reviewed paper form and didn't ask any questions;
-Officer took picture and fingerprints;
-Officer stated: "Call back in 4-6 weeks to see if your license is "in the box." (Meaning in the box on the desk for the dispatcher to hand out.)

No mention was made of having to interview with the Chief or of any further interactions, other than calling back to check on the license. I answered "no" to the questions on the form and have a clean record, other than some minor traffic violations. I had an old, expired restricted F.I.D. card that I needed when I worked as a security officer and I handed that to the officer, but didn't mention it on the form. Not sure if that even mattered, but she did make note of it and kept the expired license.

I saw the officer using some type of electronic form tied to some state database on the computer and she said they don't send the paper form to the state, but keep it only for their records. The "computer form" is what's "officially" submitted. (Of note here, the officer didn't type the form into the computer while we were there, but did take the time to review the paper application.)

One would think that this is how it would go for any "honest citizen," but it almost seems "too easy." With the computerized database and networking among agencies, I don't see why it should even take more than 2 weeks for a clean, "honest" citizen to get an "OK." Can anyone shed some light on this?

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on the process in this "Green Town." So far, it's been a breeze...

I wonder why it takes so long? Cutting out the postal service and utilizing electronic communication and computerized databases should make for a rather simple process. I mean, is it just one guy (the SP Colonel) who has to "sign off" on each app.?

Just seems like the usual time (in a small town) should be about 2-4 weeks for an average citizen with a clean record.

Thanks for the reply.

Your lucky you don't live in Worcester like I do and let me tell you the process of getting an LTC here was far from easy even with a clean record.

First, welcome to the board!

However, once the checks come back from the state police and mental health, its up to the officer to update the application and submit it. Thats where the delays can come in. Alot of the time involved is getting the officer motivated to be on top of your application and submit it.

I personally am still waiting on mine, but have been calling my local PD weekly. The squeeky wheel gets the grease my friend.

Well said, friend. The squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease.

This clarifies it, though - the "people behind the computers" are really the variables, in terms of length of time.

Your lucky you don't live in Worcester like I do and let me tell you the process of getting an LTC here was far from easy even with a clean record.

Can you please share your experience for the Board, Prosp? I'd like to hear how it went.

That's sort of how my app went. No meeting with the chief, I just had to write him a letter telling him why he should give me a LTC..[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom