MA cops stuck with the "approved" list with the rest of us?!

Not sure what you all knew of this, but cops could order outside the MA “approved” list we civilians in MA are limited to. That appears to have come to an end. My pal went to order a new gun and was told that police no longer are able to order outside the MA listed guns. I don’t know when that was snuck under the radar, and I have not looked further into it beyond that, but that’s what he was told by a police supply oriented gun store he’s ordered from in the past.

Individual officers have always been stuck with the list. Your friend may have been buying from a dealer who didn't know what he was doing and just figured it out.

Individual Officer Purchases: weapons have to comply with the list This is beacuse a Ma dealer cant transfer in weapons not on the list. A dept can purchase what ever they want as long as they do not use a Ma dealer to transfer the weapons. My Dept's weapon is not on the list, we just order them directly from the manufacturer and have them shipped to the station.

Not sure what you all knew of this, but cops could order outside the MA “approved” list we civilians in MA are limited to. That appears to have come to an end.

Hardly news and hardly correct.

Once the "Approved Firearms Roster" was issued, the only NEW firearms a dealer could sell were those on that roster. We won't get into the "before by" and private sale issues, because they are irrelevant to your ignorant friend and his, apparently, equally ignorant dealer.

Here is the regulation:

501 CMR 7.05: Compliance

(1) Any licensee that sells, rents, leases, delivers or offers for sale, rent, lease, transfer or delivery any firearm not an Approved Firearm shall be considered in violation of M.G.L.c. 140, § 123, except for:

(a) The sale, rental, lease, transfer or delivery of an "individual
firearm" as defined in 501 CMR 7.00 which was lawfully owned or
possessed under a license as defined in M.G.L.c. 140, §§ 122, 129B,
131, and 131F prior to October 21, 1998;

(b) The delivery of a firearm to a licensed gunsmith for the
purposes of service or repair of a firearm or the return of a
firearm to its lawful owner after service or repair by a licensed
gunsmith; or

(c) The return of a firearm by a licensed dealer to its lawful
owner where that firearm was initially delivered to that licensee for the purpose of consignment.

(2) 501 CMR 7.05 (1) shall become effective upon the Secretary's first publication of the Approved Firearms Roster.
Note the complete and utter absence of any special exemption for LEO sales. The only LEO exemption is from the AG's regulations, which predate and are separate from the statutory "safety" requirements.

In short, LEO's were limited to ordering from "the list" since its inception. Your "news" isn't and your - and your friend's - apparent shock is merely evidence that neither of you, nor the dealer, it appears, have been following events for the past NINE YEARS. That's how long it's been since Chapter 180 was enacted.

This has been a subject of MANY discussions on this forum. Had you done a search, you would have found at least some of them.

Last edited:
Not sure what you all knew of this, but cops could order outside the MA “approved” list we civilians in MA are limited to. That appears to have come to an end.

This never was legal (at least for the dealer to do), at least
in the sense of off-list guns. The dealer who was doing it
probably just didn't know any better.

LEOs still CAN get some guns that us peons won't normally
see, eg, new Kahrs and Glocks- basically they can get anything on
the EOPS roster, whereas we still have some obstacles
there.

-Mike

Hardly news and hardly correct.

Once the "Approved Firearms Roster" was issued, the only NEW firearms a dealer could sell were those on that roster. We won't get into the "before by" and private sale issues, because they are irrelevant to your ignorant friend and his, apparently, equally ignorant dealer.

Here is the regulation:

Note the complete and utter absence of any special exemption for LEO sales. The only LEO exemption is from the AG's regulations, which predate and are separate from the statutory "safety" requirements.

In short, LEO's were limited to ordering from "the list" since its inception. Your "news" isn't and your - and your friend's - apparent shock is merely evidence that neither of you, nor the dealer, it appears, have been following events for the past NINE YEARS. That's how long it's been since Chapter 180 was enacted.

This has been a subject of MANY discussions on this forum. Had you done a search, you would have found at least some of them.

lol I have to say... you come across as one big ahole with your post.. fairly new to the board.. and maybe its just late and I read it wrong.. but wow.. [rolleyes]

What list? I thought it was you who was arguing that there is no list.

The "list" under discussion is the the "Approved Firearms Roster;"
not the AG's non-existent list. A fact everyone else on this thread has grasped. [rolleyes]

Do try to keep up......

The "list" under discussion is the the "Approved Firearms Roster;"
not the AG's non-existent list. A fact everyone else on this thread has grasped. [rolleyes]

Do try to keep up......

Oh, the other list. I generally try to ignore your posts, but it is hard when others start quoting them. I might have to try the ignore option.

As Scrivener said:

[wink]

80% of every question on this board is already answered somewhere on this board...

So why keep this board open? Just have a nice "search" box on the front page... beter yet a "google" box.. heck 95% of every answer is somewhere on the net... that would save time for people like you and Scrivener from having to type.. [wink]

80% of every question on this board is already answered somewhere on this board...

So why keep this board open? Just have a nice "search" box on the front page... better yet a "google" box.. heck 95% of every answer is somewhere on the net... that would save time for people like you and Scrivener from having to type.. [wink]

Ahh, so that further discussion can go on?

There is a search box, though people seem to be unable to use it.

Yes, just about any question can be answered in 10min on Google.

It's nice to know there are cops who have no idea what laws they are enforcing.[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom