M1A scout and the Mass AWB

CMEBoston

NES Member
I am in the market for a M1A scout, I found one on gunbroker NIB, 10 round mag and muzzle brake, not flash suppressor. I understand this gun is OK to ship to my local FFL. So then I found one a few dollars cheaper on Cheaper than dirt and it says I cannot ship the gun to Mass? What gives? is Cheaper than dirt just avoiding mass altogether or can I not have an M1A? I know I can have one cause a bunch of local shops have them with a synthetic stock, but I want walnut. Should I even bother with Cheaper than dirt?

Cheaper Than Dirt, and several other large mail-order places, were the subject of a sting by the Attorney General's office. They signed very broad consent decree's with the AG's office and as a result won't send anything to MA.

Use GunBroker or just ask your FFL how much he would charge you for a NIB Scout.

As M1911 indicates, there is nothing in the law that has anything to do with CTD not sending the gun here. They just bent over and took it up the backside by the AG and don't send -anything- here. There are a lot of vendors like them that have "MA cooties" and won't send even stuff like paper targets to MA because they are wimps.

-Mike

My local guy has synthetic stock and told me he can't get a walnut,...... I think he wants me to buy his. I found one on gunbroker and I'll have it transferred. I was just curious as to why cheaper than dirt won't ship here. And none of the localguys can touch online pricing, I would buy local if someone had one. Does the ffl collect mass sales tax? If not I am definitely buying online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local guy has synthetic stock and told me he can't get a walnut,...... I think he wants me to buy his. I found one on gunbroker and I'll have it transferred. I was just curious as to why cheaper than dirt won't ship here. And none of the localguys can touch online pricing, I would buy local if someone had one. Does the ffl collect mass sales tax?
Even after paying shipping and FFL transfer fee?

My local guy has synthetic stock and told me he can't get a walnut,...... I think he wants me to buy his.
You could always buy the synthetic and then change out the furnature later. IIRC, the CMP has used M14 stocks for short money.

You could always buy the synthetic and then change out the furnature later. IIRC, the CMP has used M14 stocks for short money.

Thought about that, but for the money I'm spending want to get what I want.

Even after paying shipping and FFL transfer fee?

Part of the problem is the gun has $81 of tax on it even if you can get it for like 1300 in MA. Using my "cheapest possible route" I would still have an extra $25 in my pocket getting it online, although frankly I wouldn't go through all that hassle of doing an inbound just to save $25. There are a lot of guns I could get only cheaper than what I pay for them at MA or NH dealers, but the 20-40 bucks I might save is not worth the hassle.

-Mike

When I was at Zero Hour last week, there was a M1A scout with walnut stock for sale.

Chris

Actually just talked to a friend who frequents zero hour. He said the same thing. Going Thursday with cash in hand, thanks!.

For the record, CTD will send stuff to MA, just not guns, ammo, or probably mags. They will sell parts and accessories though.

Yeah, they've been scared off by our AG, but I can understand a business not wanting to bother dealing with the headache of selling certain stuff to MA. They're certainly not alone in that regard.

Part of the problem is the gun has $81 of tax on it even if you can get it for like 1300 in MA. Using my "cheapest possible route" I would still have an extra $25 in my pocket getting it online, although frankly I wouldn't go through all that hassle of doing an inbound just to save $25. There are a lot of guns I could get only cheaper than what I pay for them at MA or NH dealers, but the 20-40 bucks I might save is not worth the hassle.

-Mike

The difference is closer to 300 after shipping and transfer, that buys a lot of .308........ But I'll give it to the local guy and pay more for what I want when I want it if it's within reason. I've never bought a gun
Online and I like the fact the governor won't be getting his funding to keep use against us.

Just to let you guys know I picked up the scout from Jim. Bit more than I wanted to pay but those guys are good people without the attitude so they earned my money.

An M1A with no pistol grip is completely compliant with the MA AWB. Personally, I'd have it shipped to a NH FFL and pick it up there.

The difference is closer to 300 after shipping and transfer, that buys a lot of .308........

If your locals are charging you $300 over gunbroker (or anywhere near that) you need to find a better dealer! [laugh]

-Mike

Sounds like the crap Hunters Trading Post pulls.

No not them, and no need to mention names, he's gotta eat too. I'm just glad I got what I wanted when I wanted it. No regrets and I can't wait to put some lead down range!

If your locals are charging you $300 over gunbroker (or anywhere near that) you need to find a better dealer! [laugh]

-Mike

The gunbroker ad I looked at seemed too good to be true, 1800 was the high end, 1400 was the low and averaged $1650 across the board. It's only money and I ain't gonna be able to to take with me when I die.

The gunbroker ad I looked at seemed too good to be true, 1800 was the high end, 1400 was the low and averaged $1650 across the board. It's only money and I ain't gonna be able to to take with me when I die. I won't pay a premium for crappy service and a holier than thou attitude ( Which I find a lot around my way) but zero hour is top notch, knowledgeable and honest pepole so they win.
Don't know why that happened..... Quoted myself hah... Oh well

That's a good point......

I may as well start spending like it's 1999.

I'm not being a smartass....I'm actually using this as inspiration to buy a suppressor now instead of later, when I can actually afford it!

I recently bought a SOCOM 16. I was planning to buy new... one shop out here quoted me $1650, another shop quoted me $1850 [shocked]. Thankfully I found one used for $1300.

Back
Top Bottom