M14 kits back in stock

Just picked up the parts kit during lunch. I've only looked at the stock, which seems to be in nice condition. There's a ding / scrape over the cartouche but it may steam out OK. Otherwise pretty good shape. Might be birch, but the grain seems a little heavy like walnut and is very straight. Hardware on the stock looks pretty good. I'll dig it all out over the weekend and post a pic or two.

Now to find the receiver/bolt/barrel combo...

Edit-

Appears to be a fairly nice walnut stock. There was some sort of old packing paper stuck to it here and there- that's what I thought was light colored wood showing through and the reason I thought birch. I think it went into the kits pile because of the dings over the top of the cartouche. I bet it steams out halfway decently. I was able to take some pretty horrendous dings out of my Winchester M1 stock.

Op rod is HRA and looks barely used. Trigger group shows more use and is also HRA. Any way to know if the stock is HRA?

Where did HRA make the M14's?

HRA... Park Ave and Chandler, Wustah.

HRA... Park Ave and Chandler, Wustah.

Awesome- I was wondering if they had moved the M14 production. I realize HRA's are the most common M14's but I still think it's cool to build from mostly HRA parts. Probably going to be a while before I complete this one unless there's another Bula receiver sale that I can't refuse...

Awesome- I was wondering if they had moved the M14 production. I realize HRA's are the most common M14's but I still think it's cool to build from mostly HRA parts. Probably going to be a while before I complete this one unless there's another Bula receiver sale that I can't refuse...
My friend, Mitch of Brookfield Precision Tool and XM25 fame worked there making M14s.

My friend, Mitch of Brookfield Precision Tool and XM25 fame worked there making M14s.

My Grandfather (RIP) worked there after WWII. Every time I take out my H&R I think of the off chance that he may have had pieces of it in his hands at one point or another. For all I know, he could have swept the floors there...but still kinda neat.

In honor of the CMP's Modern Military rules that make no sense, I'm thinking about building this kit with a very high quality but standard weight barrel. Then I'll put a scope on it and shoot in MM. The Leupold weighs very little, so maybe with a lighter weight mount it can make weight.

In honor of the CMP's Modern Military rules that make no sense, I'm thinking about building this kit with a very high quality but standard weight barrel. Then I'll put a scope on it and shoot in MM. The Leupold weighs very little, so maybe with a lighter weight mount it can make weight.
Sadlak did do a run of Ti Airborne mounts... under 6 oz. :)

Sadlak did do a run of Ti Airborne mounts... under 6 oz. :)

Thanks- good idea, though unless I could find a hell of a deal on one of those Ti mounts I'd just go with an aluminum mount for even more weight savings. The aluminum ones are ~4 oz. My medium weight Bula M14 at ~9.96 lbs is extremely close to the weight limit, of course due to the barrel. A standard weight barrel may allow for the scope- I'll have to research this a little more before spending dinero.

wow...that's a great idea, actually! i'll keep my eye on the classifieds on the m14 forum for you if one comes up. i have a steel sadlak, but it's a pig. i suppose I could save a few ounces by drilling holes in my stock and telling the cmp quaifier judges that it's 'worm wood'...or get a carbon fiber stock and have it dipped in 'realtree'. what...that's not real wood? it looks like it to me...even has leaf, moss and bark.

god forbid you have a nm front sight post though :/

The rules are a mess.
If you read mondern mil rules they read like high power . Rifle has to look like xyz on the out side. Mentions nothing about barrel contour. Uses that loose term.... Special accurizing.

The rules are a mess.
If you read mondern mil rules they read like high power . Rifle has to look like xyz on the out side. Mentions nothing about barrel contour. Uses that loose term.... Special accurizing.

So a thicker 16" barrel in an AR for MM is not special accurizing? Then a medium weight barrel in a M14 isn't. Or is it?

I don't think I've seen anyone with a scope on a Modern Military class M1A / M14 at a CMP match nor any pics, so I may try to do that just out of spite, or fun- whichever suits me on a given day.

So a thicker 16" barrel in an AR for MM is not special accurizing? Then a medium weight barrel in a M14 isn't. Or is it?

I don't think I've seen anyone with a scope on a Modern Military class M1A / M14 at a CMP match nor any pics, so I may try to do that just out of spite, or fun- whichever suits me on a given day.

scope is legal as long as its a max 4.5 magX. And 34mm max objective. Don't recall any provisions on added weight for optics.

scope is legal as long as its a max 4.5 magX. And 34mm max objective. Don't recall any provisions on added weight for optics.

Same max weight applies, and it gets tough to stay under with the M1A if you do much. Franco had some 'colorful' comments about discussing the prior max weight of M1A's before his discussion with them about USGI fiberglass stocks. Some of the USGI stocks have arsenal repairs w/ metal (if I recall correctly) or maybe they came that way from the factory for a while. In any case, he lit up some folks at CMP because the prior limit was too low to allow many of the USGI fiberglass stocks. They changed the rule to 10 lbs.

If I had so much as a bayo lug on my Bula, it would be over the weight limit. The medium weight barrel puts it right on the edge.

So a standard barrel and fiberglass stock probably gives little fudge factor to add a scope and mount yet remain below 10 lbs. The walnut kit stock I received is otherwise decent, but the cartouche has a pretty heavy ding on it which makes it a good candidate for a 'shooter' project. I'll have to check the rules for the M1A, but perhaps a slightly shorter barrel would work for weight savings.

The Leupold that I have on my MM AR upper was just about the lightest 4X power of decent quality that I could find. I like the reticle on my service rifle Vortex better, but the Vortex is a little heavy which is no problem on the service rifle. Whatever I do, I plan to take advantage of the stupid rules as best I can.

edit-

CMP MM rules for non-AR rifles:

b) The rifle may be chambered for any cartridge not exceeding caliber 8 mm;

So does that mean I can put a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in a M1A, so long as it is standard weight?

I'm not going to do that, but next time I bring the Bula to inspection, before handing it over I may ask, "Is 6.5 Creedmoor OK?" [devil]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom