• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 garand good stock lock up vs not so good

mac1911

NES Member
Up next lock up good and bad...stay tuned
WARNING camera work was done with cell phone and in my basement. Poor lighting, excessive motion and random shots of chicken legs and a few foot shots are to be expected! I did wear socks to spare the weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bW6Os3Iig

another rough video

another one: I could not get the rear guard on with one hand and just stopped the video. When your rear guard is in place see if you can slide a piece of paper between the barrel and the wood. should be free floating abd the paper should be able to slip around and through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be another video coming. For those not familiar with Garands, whatever Mac posts will probably make 'lock up' clear.

im getting there...took longer with my cell phone. Now tri pod for a steady camera and needed to switch rooms.

I'll only be unlocking my CMP Special in the off season. Mine takes a few shots to settle in. If it's loose and I first shoot it in a match, it will still be settling in after the 5 sighter shots.

Many M1 rifle owners "unlock" their trigger group during safe storage, (I'm one of them) to keep from compressing the stock. 20+ years and counting...

Thanks for the vids Mac. I am going to peruse them.

If you have some bite left in your lock up its not a bad thing to store them with the trigger guard lock released. If your rifle is like the "bad" lock up I showed it's as compressed as it's going to get.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll only be unlocking my CMP Special in the off season. Mine takes a few shots to settle in. If it's loose and I first shoot it in a match, it will still be settling in after the 5 sighter shots.

Basically my way...if my JCG as issued match rifle lock up gets loose I'm buying a new stock anyway.
So now im off to the next challenge.

I'm trying to put my CMP Special back together having completed the tung oil project, and I can't even get it to back into the stock. I'm putting all my weight on it, and it won't go in all the way, and if I take pressure off, it backs out:
unnamed.jpg
Guess I'll have to sand the inside?

I'm trying to put my CMP Special back together having completed the tung oil project, and I can't even get it to back into the stock. I'm putting all my weight on it, and it won't go in all the way, and if I take pressure off, it backs out:
View attachment 281491
Guess I'll have to sand the inside?
Look for any globs of finish, you did put at least one coat on the inside surfaces... Make sure you dont have anything stuck in the front band recess, like tape? Could have just swelled a bit from moister at some point? I would be very hesitant to sand if the stock fit before.

Look for any globs of finish, you did put at least one coat on the inside surfaces... Make sure you dont have anything stuck in the front band recess, like tape? Could have just swelled a bit from moister at some point? I would be very hesitant to sand if the stock fit before.
It took me until about 2 am tinkering, but I got it in. I had eight coats on there, I wiped away some of the finish that looked like it got kind of "scraped" trying to coerce the receiver back in.

I think leaving the receiver out of the stock for several months, plus the added width of eight coats made a tight stock even tighter. I know at least once or twice my pushing caused the mating of the stock to get a bit out of alignment, which didn't help. I need to whack the stock hard several times to get it out (ever since the first day I got it).

As per usual, good whack with a rubber mallet on the trigger guard locked it up.
Only problem was it looks like I bent the stock ferrule swivel a bit due to force, but I think pliers will do the trick.
Hoping to shoot a few rounds next week.

I was thinking that multiple coats of finish, applied strategically, would help to restore lock-up for a worn stock. Seems like that's what happened to you but in excess.

Paint the receiver with lipstick or smoke or something, insert into stock. Rinse, repeat.

I was thinking that multiple coats of finish, applied strategically, would help to restore lock-up for a worn stock. Seems like that's what happened to you but in excess.
This sort of works, I used minwax wood restorer, the stuff that gets really hard on the trigger guard pad area on my first GI M14 stock and a loose garand stock. It did work but less than a year you can see where the guard has compressed the finish. Definately a good short term or yearly application to help keep it a bit tighter

It took me until about 2 am tinkering, but I got it in. I had eight coats on there, I wiped away some of the finish that looked like it got kind of "scraped" trying to coerce the receiver back in.

I think leaving the receiver out of the stock for several months, plus the added width of eight coats made a tight stock even tighter. I know at least once or twice my pushing caused the mating of the stock to get a bit out of alignment, which didn't help. I need to whack the stock hard several times to get it out (ever since the first day I got it).

As per usual, good whack with a rubber mallet on the trigger guard locked it up.
Only problem was it looks like I bent the stock ferrule swivel a bit due to force, but I think pliers will do the trick.
8 coats is a lot I think for interior sections. Its not hard for finish to find its way into places and form drip trails on the inside edges either.
My Red USGI m14 stock had a bit of trouble getting back in because of some glue from my pin repair finding its way in the op rod retainer pin relief .

8 coats is a lot I think for interior sections. Its not hard for finish to find its way into places and form drip trails on the inside edges either.
My Red USGI m14 stock had a bit of trouble getting back in because of some glue from my pin repair finding its way in the op rod retainer pin relief .
Yeah, I realize that now in hindsight. I think future "touch up" coats will be on exterior parts only.

Yeah, I realize that now in hindsight. I think future "touch up" coats will be on exterior parts only.
The finish will build up in corners or recess... if you refinish a M1a the stock liner retainer nut recess will get finish down inside and you need to “clear” it or your retainer bolts wont fit

pics and range report ?

pics and range report ?
Hopefully next week. Same rifle I shot at 2017 CMP matches, just finally got around to "sprucing up" the stock.

Probably need to pick up some more 168gr Nosler Custom Comps, they have been my best performer in two calibers, but I have plenty of standard fodder.

Back
Top Bottom