M1 Garand gas cylinder question

Okay, I guess the lightning strike yesterday across the street put my post into the vapor. So I repost it.

Just got my M1 Garand on Monday. No cosmoline and in GREAT condition.

My question is-- What are my options for the stainless steel gas cylinder?
It is half raw SS, and half still black. (paint? chromate?)

Did some heavy reading about why it is stainless, and not blue steel this week. But now I am looking to see what folks here have done.

Choices-??
1. Leave it as is. -but it is the ugly part of an otherwise great looking rifle
2. Replace it with a new one with the sodium chromate coating- but, expensive - $120-150
3. Replace it with a used one from one of the many milsurp part suppliers.
still about $40-75
4. Find a local shop to retreat it? is this possible?

So, what have you done? Any suggestions based on your own experience?

Thanks in advance.

I would leave it as is, especially if it is nice and tight on the barrel. Do you have any other details on the rifle? Manufacturer, CMP rifle, etc?

I used Gun Kote and Aluma Hyde II in matte black that looks very close
to the original finish. Just dont have any oil on the part.

The M1 Garand is a Springfield Armory. Receiver s/n is 5884xxx. It is from CMP. It is rated as a service grade, but the bore is bright, the wood only has minor dings, and the metal (with the exception of the gas cyl.) is near perfect condition. The marks on the barrel are SA F6535xxx "5 55 MD 50" and a small "m" and a large star with 3 small stars above it. So it was rebarrelled and the barrel was made in May 1955. I haven't found what the "MD 50" means yet. But the SA serial numbers for 1955 do fit with the receiver number, but not for the barrel. Odd, but some experts say that a lot of serial numbers got a bit confusing after WWII.

I bought it as a shooter and just to own an M1 Garand. Any plans for a WWII collector piece for $5-10,000 is not in my future.

I now need to track down a bayonet and a sling. I start searching the bigger milsurp suppliers and see what I can find.

I think you have an original barrel on that rifle. In Scott Duff's book SA serial #5834783 has a bbl date of 3/55, and #5902584 has a bbl date of 6/55.

For parts and accessories I have had good luck with Orion 7 enterprises. If you are looking for a nice leather sling I would recommend Turner slings. A great site for M1 info is www.jouster.com.

Post some pics if you can, I love M1's.

When I got my CMP Garand, I was like you in that I had to run out and get the bayonet and sling. The sling is a definite plus, but don't waste your money on the bayonet. You bring it home, throw it on the rifle, say wow that's cool, remove the bayonet and put it in the safe, FOREVER. Mine still sits in the safe and has never been back on the rifle. Spend that money on something else.

I am a newbie, so I am just learning. The receiver has the 588xxxx number, but the barrel has the F653xxxx number. Why do you think that the barrel is original? The F653xxxx does not show up on Scott Duff's s/n list. For post WWII springfields the numbers seem to stop at 6,099,905.

Thanks for the links. Yes, it looks like I can easily double my investment with all the extras. Plus, I have 4 milsurps now, so all of them will "need" all the extras, right?

So, fulton has a list of "recommended spare parts." Do you have all these? Or just the first level?

I have an office in DC, and Savage is just by BWI so I guess I will have to stop in their store..... so much for my "just spend a little" plan.

I have never posted pictures.. I guess I should learn how.....

traveler57 said:
I am a newbie, so I am just learning. The receiver has the 588xxxx number, but the barrel has the F653xxxx number. Why do you think that the barrel is original? The F653xxxx does not show up on Scott Duff's s/n list. For post WWII springfields the numbers seem to stop at 6,099,905.

The F653xxxx is the drawing or "part" number that basically means barrel. The date is what matters most. Original barrels are sometimes off by several months vs. the production date of the receiver.

I wouldn't be too concerned about spare parts just now. Concentrate on having the proper tools and accessories. If you were headed for battle tomorrow with your trusty M-1, I'd think differently. But Fulton Armory is just a mouse click away if you need something.

Back
Top Bottom