M1 conversion to .308

No personal experience but the US Navy converted quite a few M1s to .308, I think mainly for competition and trophy guns. From what I understand they are highly desireable.

Also no first hand experience - Fulton Armory lists the 308 conversion on their site under 'Garand Services'. I've never heard any complaints about their work, either.

I've thought about converting one of my Garands to 308, if I ever manage to shoot out the 30-06 barrel. Hasn't happened yet, and it's not like I have a shortage of 308 rifles.

It can be done in several ways. There's an insert that is supposed to convert a standard 30-06 to 7.62. I don't really trust it.

My dad has one of the Navy conversions. Great shooter.

All that's needed is replacement of the barrel. Everything else is the same TTBOMK.

There's also a spacer block available that isn't technically required, but will prevent a clip of 30-06 from going into your 308 chambered Garand.

When the Navy converted some Garands to 7.62x51 they initially used an insert in the chamber that later proved to have some problems in service (it would come loose and/or come out).

The "proper" way to convert a Garand over to shoot .308 is to replace the barrel so you get a barrel with the correct chamber. I have a Garand that was built to shoot .308 that I got from Fulton Armory - there are a number of places that install a barrel for you. You can buy Garand barrels in .308 from places like Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.ex...+Begin+Search.x=12&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=14

You can use standard en-bloc clips to load .308 rounds - and there is an insert that is available that you install into the rifle somehow ( I have never seen one with the install done) - that will prevent you from loading an en-bloc clip loaded with 30.06 into a rifle setup for .308 .

I had one of my Garands rebarreled to .308 back in 1984 by Springfield Armoury (Genesco,IL). It has had several thousand rounds put thru it since, without a Hickup......
They installed a match Grade Barrel and the spacer block mentioned above and returned the convert and the original barrel.
I called them last year to have the same thing done to my Sons Garand, but he changed his mind at the last minute.
ANY Gunsmith, worth his salt should be able to do the conversion for you. I just wanted someone with experience to do mine.

Arnaki

Back
Top Bottom