M1 Carbine sling ??

I got my Winchester M1 carbine from CMP back a couple of weeks ago - and when I got home tonite the box with the sling and oiler were sitting outside my door.

So I went to the surplusrifle.com site to make sure I put the sling on correctly:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/m1carbine/slinginstallation/index.asp

and I am left to wonder if there is some sort of trick to this. On the buttstock end I wrap the sling around the oiler and try to put the oiler with the sling wrapped around it back into the slot - and sucker just doesn't want to go in there.

How tight of a fit is this supposed to be? I could probably force it in there - but the thing will be in there so tight I will never be able to get it out again.

I figured it out. That's what I get for following instructions. The original instructions on surplusrifle.com that I linked to say to wrap the sling around the oiler outside of the slot and then pull it into the slot.

That doesn't work. The slot is way too tight to allow you to pull it in there like that.

If you take the oiler and insert it into the slot first - then feed the sling around the oiler while it is in the slot it isn't that bad to install. I found the the crimped on metal end on the sling was just a tad too thick to fit around the oiler - so I laid it on a piece of flat metal and gave a few good smacks with a machinist hammer to flatten it out a little more and that made it thinner enough to feed around the oiler better.

Some GI hogged out the slot in mine back in the day - no problem getting the oiler in, of course as soon as the sling gets loosened it drops right back out again...
IMG_0433-1.jpg

sling

I tried that way when I first got mine. No way it was going in.
i had the same problem; where the mettal clasp part hangs up; tap it in with the end of a screw driver. go slow so that you don't chip the wood[crying]

I chipped the wood on my Boyd's stock and had to eventually take a dremel to create enough spaceon the rear aspect because they didn't slant it enough. Not obvious until you take the sling off and see the wood that isn't stained like the rest of the stock.

Back
Top Bottom