M&P9 vs Sig P226 vs ?

I got to spend some hands on time with a few pistols today (no firing unfortunately) and got a pretty good feel of what's comfortable and what isn't. I'm looking for a 9mm range and home gun (planning on a S&W Bodyguard 380 for carry), with the possibility of use in something like an IDPA competition. Tried the Glock range, which was a bit too blocky for my hands.

So far, my top two contenders are the S&W M&P9 and the Sig P226. The Sig felt slightly more comfortable in my hand (bit more cushy and full at the front of grip), and had a significantly better trigger, but was considerably heavier and more expensive. The M&P9 felt good, not as perfect as the Sig, but I think some playing around with the grip sizes may help. From what I understand, the M&P9 is a DAO while the P226 is a DA/SA, advantages and disadvantages of each I have no idea. Thoughts on each in general? Towards a competition setting?

I understand that the final determination should come down to shooting each, but I thought it would be helpful to have some background info and opinions on each regardless. Thanks.

Last edited:
Both are great pistols in my opinion. I am biased towards the SIG but own the M&P as well. The trigger on the the M&P can be fixed with an Apex trigger or a trigger job from a local gunsmith. Santurri did mine it is a huge improvement. The barrel on the SIG sits a little higher than the M&P and for whatever reason that works for me even though the M&P fits my hand better.

With the SIG you can get pre-ban high cap mags which are not available for the M&P. (assuming you are from Mass).

The M&P is striker fired not really double action, but again I like the DA/SA of the SIG. Others have issues with the ergonomics of the SIG concerning the slide release...not an issue for me.

Bottom line if you can shoot both do so. Also be prepared for the ".380 is not a defensive round posts". You could go with a PM9 in .9mm and have consistency in ammo.

Good luck you can't go wrong with either one.

Sig's are fine guns, i just find them to be too heavy and i don't like the position of the slide release vs. the decocker.

M&P (i own one) is equally a nice gun, you are almost guranteed a fit with the one of the three pack-straps.

are these the only guns you tried? have you tried a Beretta 92FS? [wink]

choosing a gun is like choosing a car or a partner in a relationship. for example:

1. my car sucks in the snow, it's RWD and has a V8. but i got lots of storage room and space... i can live with the fact that i can get stuck in 4" of snow if i gun the engine.

2. partner in a relationship is smoking hot, but just doesn't quite know how to pick up after herself, load a dish washer or boil water [thinking] -but she's smoking hot. meanwhile, the other girl is good in the kitchen and know's how to make a sammich, but you can't bring her home to mom because she's ghetto. [thinking]

[rofl][rofl] [smile]

conclusion: 3rd Gen Glock 19

I tried a pretty wide array of brands and models. The Glocks I found just too boxy and square for my taste, and the Beretta was a bit too molded and shaped.

One thing I'm really stuck on is the trigger. Again, I didn't do a live fire, only dry, but the difference between the M&P9 and P226 was like night and day. The M&P had considerable travel between rest and fire, with a gritty feel to it, while the P226 had a much smaller "play" and a smooth action. How much of a help is the Apex kit with these issues? Is there any problem, should I later decide to try out some competition shooting, with using either the P226 or M&P9 w/ Apex kit?

They are both fine guns. Some people can't get used to the DA/SA trigger (like me). The APEX kit will get rid of the grittyness and smooth out and lighten the trigger pull. The RAM will give you a nice positive reset. However, it will not take care of the long take up: most people just get used to it. Both guns are great choices for IDPA or USPSA/Production & other action shooting. If you are in MA you can get pre-ban hi-caps for the Sig but none exist for the M&P.

I tried a pretty wide array of brands and models. The Glocks I found just too boxy and square for my taste, and the Beretta was a bit too molded and shaped.

One thing I'm really stuck on is the trigger. Again, I didn't do a live fire, only dry, but the difference between the M&P9 and P226 was like night and day. The M&P had considerable travel between rest and fire, with a gritty feel to it, while the P226 had a much smaller "play" and a smooth action. How much of a help is the Apex kit with these issues? Is there any problem, should I later decide to try out some competition shooting, with using either the P226 or M&P9 w/ Apex kit?

I've become a competition junkie, and the two guns I've shot competitively are the P229 and an M&P (Apex), but in 9mm. My thoughts on these guns in competition:

Sig:
Heavier, so less recoil and muzzle flip. Larger magwell (with non-factory grips).

M&P (Apex):
Consistent, lighter, and better trigger. More sight options. Arguably more grip options.

Between the two, well, let's just say I've moved to the M&P and will sell you a used P229, if you want it. The advantage of a consistent trigger pull (and a smooth and light one, after the Apex kit or gunsmith job) should not be understated. The Sig is the finest firearm of the 1980s. The M&P is probably the finest of the 00's.

Last edited:
Sig:
Heavier, so less recoil and muzzle flip. Larger magwell (with non-factory grips).

M&P (Apex):
Consistent, lighter, and better trigger. More sight options. More grip options.

Was the reduction in recoil a significant amount? I'm not the beefiest or strongest guy in the world, and one of the things I'm worried about is being able to control recoil (accuracy wise) after a number of shots.

Was the reduction in recoil a significant amount? I'm not the beefiest or strongest guy in the world, and one of the things I'm worried about is being able to control recoil (accuracy wise) after a number of shots.

It's a noticeable difference but.... we're talking 9mm here. The most lightweight, brutal, most-horrible built 9mm pistol in the world still has very little recoil.

choosing a gun is like choosing a car or a partner in a relationship. for example:

1. my car sucks in the snow, it's RWD and has a V8. but i got lots of storage room and space... i can live with the fact that i can get stuck in 4" of snow if i gun the engine.

2. partner in a relationship is smoking hot, but just doesn't quite know how to pick up after herself, load a dish washer or boil water [thinking] -but she's smoking hot. meanwhile, the other girl is good in the kitchen and know's how to make a sammich, but you can't bring her home to mom because she's ghetto.

Pretty much the best response to every "what gun should I get" thread I've ever read.
Thanks for posting!

Chris

I got to spend some hands on time with a few pistols today (no firing unfortunately) and got a pretty good feel of what's comfortable and what isn't. I'm looking for a 9mm range and home gun (planning on a S&W Bodyguard 380 for carry), with the possibility of use in something like an IDPA competition. Tried the Glock range, which was a bit too blocky for my hands.

So far, my top two contenders are the S&W M&P9 and the Sig P226. The Sig felt slightly more comfortable in my hand (bit more cushy and full at the front of grip), and had a significantly better trigger, but was considerably heavier and more expensive. The M&P9 felt good, not as perfect as the Sig, but I think some playing around with the grip sizes may help. From what I understand, the M&P9 is a DAO while the P226 is a DA/SA, advantages and disadvantages of each I have no idea. Thoughts on each in general? Towards a competition setting?

I understand that the final determination should come down to shooting each, but I thought it would be helpful to have some background info and opinions on each regardless. Thanks.

Chevy vs Volvo. I've owned both guns. I still have my 226 and it's my go-to gun. I don't have the M&P any longer.

Sig's are fine guns, i just find them to be too heavy and i don't like the position of the slide release vs. the decocker.

M&P (i own one) is equally a nice gun, you are almost guranteed a fit with the one of the three pack-straps.

are these the only guns you tried? have you tried a Beretta 92FS? [wink]

2. partner in a relationship is smoking hot, but just doesn't quite know how to pick up after herself, load a dish washer or boil water [thinking] -but she's smoking hot. meanwhile, the other girl is good in the kitchen and know's how to make a sammich, but you can't bring her home to mom because she's ghetto. [thinking]

[rofl][rofl] [smile]

Are we still talkin' guns Kemo Sabe?

Chevy vs Volvo. I've owned both guns. I still have my 226 and it's my go-to gun. I don't have the M&P any longer.

It's a personal thing. I've got a Mercedes & Scion. If I want to get there reliably and cheaply I'll take the Scion. If I want to get there in comfort, for more $, and deal with all the quirks I'll take the Mercedes. I had a Sig P6 that I really tried to like. I just couldn't deal with the DA/SA trigger. It's gone and three M&P's are here.

It's a personal thing. I've got a Mercedes & Scion. If I want to get there reliably and cheaply I'll take the Scion. If I want to get there in comfort, for more $, and deal with all the quirks I'll take the Mercedes. I had a Sig P6 that I really tried to like. I just couldn't deal with the DA/SA trigger. It's gone and three M&P's are here.

That's actually what I was trying to say LOL. Chevy = inexpensive decent transportation - Volvo = expensive, blocky and built like a tank. Both good for what they are and choosing is pure personal preference.

Somewhat unrelated question, but does anyone know if Manchester Firing Line, or any other range for that matter, has these (and maybe some other) pistols to rent and try? I'd really like to get a better feel for them without having to buy.

Somewhat unrelated question, but does anyone know if Manchester Firing Line, or any other range for that matter, has these (and maybe some other) pistols to rent and try? I'd really like to get a better feel for them without having to buy.

I have both and love them both. I'd prefer the M&P since I have the 9c and the 45 as well. Both my full size 9 and 45 have Santurri trigger jobs as well as Dawson FO sights. If you're near Hopkinton, MA I can let you try them if you want.

I love my P226 and can drive tacks with it. My stock M&P40 sits in the safe until I can pull money away from other projects/guns to put an APEX kit in it.

Shoot as much as you can and then decide from there.

The M&P is the new Glock.
Nothing wrong with Sigs but for carry the M&P is the way to go if you don't like the feel of Glocks.
Screw the damn 380 bodyguard everyone is trying to sell you.
Get a M&P9 compact and you got practically full size pistol with great carry.

Who says you need to settle on one or the other?

I would be shocked if MFL didn't have multiples of both in every variation and caliber. That place has a lot of toys and those are both very common guns.

Last edited:
I probably put about 200-300 rounds through an M&P 9mm at S&W. The gun feels nice in the hands, but I was a very inconsistent shot with it. Granted I am not a great shooter and my trigger pull is probably pretty awful.

I also spent some time with a Glock 17 or 19, a Sig 229 and a Springfield XD (maybe 10-30 rounds each). The Sig and XD fit nicely in my hand too. The Glock wasn't bad. I shot considerably better with these three pistols, although I felt I shot better with the Sig. I can see how having a consistent trigger weight would be useful in competition, but I did like the subsequent lighter trigger pull.

Had I not fired any of the pistols, I probably would have gone with an M&P b/c of the cost and availability, but after shooting it I wasn't as enthused. I am sure I could have learned to fire it better, but the Sig felt more natural to me. I would highly recommend you try both pistols, if not other ones.

Btw, Hoffmans in the Hartford-ish, CT is where I tried the XD, Glock, and Sig. They have a HUGE selection of pistols to rent, and it is pretty inexpensive to shoot there. I think it was a lot cheaper than the Firing Line, especially if you are going to rent multiple pistols.

Don't hesitate to seek out third generation Smith and Wesson semi-autos. Short money, reliable, accurate, high cap magazines available, and a wide variety of calibers and sizes to choose from. I'd consider a combination of a 5906 and a 6906. The 5906 will offer full, duty size features and 15+ rounds of 9mm. The 6906 is a surprisingly easy mid size (think a little smaller and slimmer than a G19) to carry and will hold 13+ rounds of 9mm. As a bonus, the 6906 can use the 5906 mags if you don't mind them sticking out a little at the bottom of the grip. If you shop carefully, this combination will set you back less than the cost of a single 3rd Gen Glock here in MA.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom