• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Rust Issue

bob6180

NES Member
Took my shield out of my holster today and gasped at the surface rust on the top and side of the slide all around the front sight. I then found some surface rust on the slide lock as well. Now I don't need my carry gun to be cosmetically perfect but rust is a no-no.
I've only been carrying it a few months and have cleaned / wiped it with CLP.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 186
Not yet anyway, pocket carry but with nothing else in said pocket. That said i work in a garage so i tend to get oil on my pants once in a while

I had a similar issue with one of the rather well cared for M&Ps that I own. I contacted S&W and they asked me to send them the whole gun. I got bogged down with other life stuff and never sent it to them though. I just cleaned the rust off because it was very light and forgot about it. If it comes back I will probably send it in.

Interesting, the M&P slide is stainless, not that stainless can't rust, but I have not seen this yet. Could the slide have come in contact with acid of some sort? Or vinegar? I know the surface treatment is very hard to remove. What did Smith say familyman15 ?

I know that the pistol hasn't come into contact with anything aside from CLP, the holster, and my sweat. I reached out to Smith myself this morning to see what they say.

No rust, carry it daily in a leather holster and for almost 2 years. Never wipe it down. Handle it every time out to the range too. Damn thing looks new...or close to it. My only issue is the blob of white paint in the front sight fell out, no biggie. Ya got a bogus gun maybe???

Sweat is very corrosive to metal the combination of salt and moisture is a classic recipe for rust. It could be compounded if the alloy of stainless used in the slide is poor and has a high iron level...

I've carried my M&P for 7 years now and no rust. I do recall one of our firearms officers tell me that he had some rust problems with the PD guns and S&W took care of them. IIRC they may have had a particular plating problem back some years ago. I'm certain that they will make it right at no cost to those with the problem.

Smith seems to like ****ing up the metallurgy on their slides at random odd intervals, send it in and they'll probably replace it no fuss.

-Mike

Stainless don't mean it won't rust. Also what ever coating they apply may "rust"

If you ever seen a M1 garand gas cylinder in the white most would not know it's stainless.
Although left un protected it will rust. Refinish it with the blackening salts for stainless and don't oil it.......it will rust. I'm guessing as posted the metal alloy finishing method may produce a rust issue.

Send it back, it shouldn't rust. Mine has half the finish worn off the slide from use and it has zero rust. You probably got a bad batch of steel. It happens, sometimes vendors will screw manufacturers over and supply the wrong types.

I had a stainless Taurus revolver rust up pretty bad. I imagine Taurus does not use very good stainless steel. I also had some rust starting on a S&W bodyguard in the finger grips on the slide.
Maybe I have some super caustic sweat. I now oil my carry guns frequently.

Some of the early M&P's that were issued to PD's reported rust issues and S&W took care of it. I'd conduct S&W Customer Service, they should be able to address the issue one way or another.

Interesting, Ive had my Shield for about 2 years now and I just noticed a very small line of rust inside my barrell, I scrubbed it through with a brush and seemed to get rid of it. Im hoping it doesnt come back, if it does I will send it to S&W and hopefully they will help me out, Im not sure because Ive had it for a couple of years.

Some of the early M&P's that were issued to PD's reported rust issues and S&W took care of it. I'd conduct S&W Customer Service, they should be able to address the issue one way or another.

It's not just "early" but this problem has resurfaced several times during the existence of the platform. Ruger has had the same problems with some of their guns too.

-Mike

just searched for info regarding this rust issue, a bigger problem than i thought. seems to come in batches which leads me to believe it has something to do with a procedure during application of their finish. odd how some guns get it good and others untouched. my shield, bought it in the first release of mass guns, and as i said, neglected, has no rust. i will however, take better care of it. strange phenomenon,

I've carried my M&P for 7 years now and no rust. I do recall one of our firearms officers tell me that he had some rust problems with the PD guns and S&W took care of them. IIRC they may have had a particular plating problem back some years ago. I'm certain that they will make it right at no cost to those with the problem.
We bought our M&P 45's back in 2009, almost my entire PD had to send the slides back within a year as they were getting some subtle rust marks.

Not sure if it's true, but rumor had it the guy dunking them into the tank for finishing wasn't wearing gloves so his skin oil essentially got baked between the metal and finish.

We bought our M&P 45's back in 2009, almost my entire PD had to send the slides back within a year as they were getting some subtle rust marks.

Not sure if it's true, but rumor had it the guy dunking them into the tank for finishing wasn't wearing gloves so his skin oil essentially got baked between the metal and finish.

That would do it for cause.

I think my PD got theirs 1-2 years before your PD and had the same problem.

It doesn't take much to screw up a plating process and get this result.

NOTE: In my multiple tours of S&W factory, I never saw a plating operation that I recall. Would be surprised if that wasn't a sub-contracted part of the build.

Our dept carries them. We work on the ocean. It happens to ours all the time. We just scrub them down with some oil and a slightly abrasive pad and it works pretty well. Leave them lubed up and it's not too bad. If it was my personal weapon I would be less likely to tolerate it, but I have little choice. So you're not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just heard back. Sending it back for eval and probable replacement. Just need to wheel and deal a little as it's the model without the manual safety. Not like those are falling off shelves in Ma.

any upgrades, apex, etc in the gun? if so might want to save them before you send the gun in....would imagine won't be getting those upgrades back

My shield 9 that I bought in Feb and have carried every day since has rusted a little also.

I sweat a shit ton and carry it IWB around 4 o'clock in a leather / kydex holster. First, about 2 months ago I noticed some rust around the mag release - I'm guessing from the spring-. I brushed what I could get to & oiled and it's just now coming back again.

More recently, like in the last 3 weeks or month, I noticed a spot on the slide, port-side up at the front, where it appears the surface coating has failed and it almost looks like the black finish is bubbling up. It's in a spot where the slide is touching the leather while holstered.

I've actually been meaning to post something about the issue. Just didn't get a chance. I chalked it up mostly to my sweating a lot and partially to it being a cheap $300 gun.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken the gun off my hip and found it literally wet with sweat condensation, so I kind of figured something like this was imminent.

AA

I was curious about my own shield, it never leaves the leather iwb holster it lives in except when i shoot it of course. gave it a detailed inspection and cleaning and happy to say no rust anywhere on the slide. i did however find a tiny bit on the rear sight just forward of the notch, directly on the s&w logo. it came up with a q tip dipped in hoppes. overall i'm happy. and no rust seen inside anywhere either.

Aaron[MA];4585064 said:
My shield 9 that I bought in Feb and have carried every day since has rusted a little also.

I sweat a shit ton and carry it IWB around 4 o'clock in a leather / kydex holster. First, about 2 months ago I noticed some rust around the mag release - I'm guessing from the spring-. I brushed what I could get to & oiled and it's just now coming back again.

More recently, like in the last 3 weeks or month, I noticed a spot on the slide, port-side up at the front, where it appears the surface coating has failed and it almost looks like the black finish is bubbling up. It's in a spot where the slide is touching the leather while holstered.

I've actually been meaning to post something about the issue. Just didn't get a chance. I chalked it up mostly to my sweating a lot and partially to it being a cheap $300 gun.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken the gun off my hip and found it literally wet with sweat condensation, so I kind of figured something like this was imminent.

AA

Ive had the same situation. Wear all the time (except in the shower) and sweat a lot. Only rust was on the mag release button and the roll pins. Cleaned right up with a brass brush and some oil. No biggie. It's not a safe queen. It's a tool.

Ive had the same situation. Wear all the time (except in the shower) and sweat a lot. Only rust was on the mag release button and the roll pins. Cleaned right up with a brass brush and some oil. No biggie. It's not a safe queen. It's a tool.

Right. I get that- and I don't expect it to be perfect, but what worries me is the non- surface rust. I want to address that before it gets too far

Update/ resolution.

Got the the pistol back from S&W today. They replaced the slide for me.

Great customer service the whole way through- just will have to keep an eye on this slide too.

That's great!

This weather ought to put the new one to the test.

I guess you'll know soon enough; didn't take long at all on mine once the warm weather hit...

AA

Back
Top Bottom