M&P 15-22 magazine missing pieces?

I bought a new M&P 15-22 at Four Seasons today, and when I got home to play with the new toy I noticed it was impossible to load up the magazine. There is nothing to put your fingers on to pull the follower down. I guess I could stick a piece of wood in there to pull it down but I certainly can't load this thing without any additional tools. Do any of you have this gun with this problem? Did Smith and Wesson just forget to put pieces on this?

This magazine has a "button" thing so you can put your fingers on it to pull down the follower:
http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/SW_MP1522_25rd_Mag_B.jpg

But mine doesn't:

IMG_0272.jpg

Um... have you considered just inserting the cartridges and pushing down the follower through the slot provided for the purpose?

You mean just push the cartridges down like you would for a loading up a 9mm or .45 or any other non-.22 caliber magazine? I thought this thing was supposed to load the same way as the Ruger mkIII did with the little button thing on the side for your fingers.

You mean just push the cartridges down like you would for a loading up a 9mm or .45 or any other non-.22 caliber magazine?

Yep. Perhaps you have an older version. Either way, try giving S&W a call and see if they'll replace it.

Last edited:
According to the guy I spoke with at Four Seasons when I bought mine, they didn't put the handy-dandy thumb assist on the 10 round compliant mags at all. I always have allen wrenches in my bag so I slip one of those through the hole and use that as an assist.

It is not possible to install the button as it requires pulling the follower down to the enlarged opening (look and you will see what I mean)
The 10rnd mags have a pin inserted to prevent the follower from moving that far down.

There are after market pinned mags with the button if that is what you are looking for. I personally just use a pen or stick or whatever.

Your magazine is not broke. It is just a PITA system without a stick to hold the spring back. I was certain that S&W will sell a glorified stick called a load assist and sell it for a few bucks a piece just to make some additional money.

As everyone's said now, not broke, just crippled as part of their 10-round-only limit process.

Back
Top Bottom